Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:05 PM   #1

I just picked up my HD1000 last night and have already messed around with the trial versions of Ulead Video Studio Pro 11 Plus and Sony Vegas Pro 8. So far Vegas seems the best and easiest (I have video editing experience already).

Now, what I'd like to ask is what codec/bitrate/etc should I be using to re-encode the HD1000's MP4 files back to the same format it was originally in with the least quality loss. I have pretty much the whole gamut of codecs already installed and have rendered files to XVid, DivX, Mov, etc but want to pretty much make the file output to the exact format and data rate (orlarger if it'snecessary to preserve quality)it was originally in with the least amount of quality loss. What do you all suggest? So far digging around the closest thing listed is the Sony AVC option but a test render came out not looking as good so I don't know if it's the Sony codec or the bitrate etc. Should I be trying a codec in ffdshow? What should I use. Thanks in advance!

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:37 AM   #2

Hmm, anyone have any suggests? I'm asking cause I'd like to simply try sharpening a clip and outputting back out to the same format it was in. As I mentioned, if it's necessary to increase the bitrate to preserve quality that's fine. I mainly just need to know which codec I should be choosing to create the .mp4 in the same format the file is originally in.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 1:00 PM   #3

Unless I am missing something HD1000 videos are encoded in H.264 at 12 Mbps so try re-encoding into that, however you might want to up the bitrate.
AvalonHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 1:15 PM   #4

Well, that wasn't very helpful. I can choose H.264 in the ffdshow codec list but the highest bitrate seems to be limited to 10kbps. Also, the re-rendered files seemed to show the interlacing like crazy. With the original files played at their normal size interlacing is barely noticeable but on the re-rendered files I've done it's very prominent.

I'm just looking for some help as to what settings and codes I should be choosing for re-rendering a 1080i mp4 file from the HD1000.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:38 PM   #5

OK, I've actually found the right codec and settings. I must've missed it before since I was messing around with the Vegas trial at work but the codec I needed to use was the MainConcept AVC/AAC. The rest of the options are obvious.

Are there any other brands of AVC codecs out there I can load in? The main concepts one works excellent but I have noticed in an A/B comparison that no matter what, even at much higher bitrates, the re-rendered file shows a pinch less detail - like the speckles in skin detail. The difference in quality is*extremely* small, but I'm curious to see if maybe there's another codec that would do a perfect re-rendering.

On another note I have to say I'm amazed at how well the MainConcept AVC codec can create progressive videos from interlaced. It does a splendid job! Under field orderjust choose "None (Progressive Scan)" and it'll make a progressive scan video that looks great.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:18 AM   #6

I am just wondering, why can you not do the job within the camera? - if playing back in the camera is what you wanted.

You will not have the hassle/trouble associate with re-encoding.

I do not thinkmany (may be you too) can afford a BD/HDDVD burner to burn the file onto playable BD/HDDVD disc. You cannot burn HD video into DVD and make it playable in BD/HDDVD player anyway.

So why edit/re-encode it in PC?
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:01 AM   #7

Well, I wanted to apply a sharpen filter to see if it would make the video a little less soft but the effect, even used lightly, made it look worse.

As for a blu-ray burner... I can afford one but will wait till the prices come down.

As for burning HD content to a standard DVD you're mistaken, it can be done quite easily. Nero 8 will burn HD content to a standard DVD. You will just get a shorter playback time, like one hour. Other programs do this too like Ulead Video Studio Pro 11 Plus and some others probably even Vegas' Movie Factory Platinum.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 1:13 PM   #8

Yeah my friend burns his HDV videos onto DVD and they playback on his HD-DVD player. That is the great thing about recording in MPEG2, and length doesn't matter much as most of his movies are only about 20 mins.
AvalonHaze is offline   Reply With Quote