Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:57 PM   #1

Hello all,

I was wondering if any HD700 and/or HD1000 owners could comment on the operation and performance of still image capture while recording video. The HD700 manual seems to indicate that the HD700 captures images in the same way my old HD1 did (which I didn't like):

http://sanyoservice.com/pdf/images/VPCHD700.pdf (page 78)

...basically, when you press the image capture button, it pauses the video briefly, while it takes over the whole sensor and captures a 4:3 7mp picture. IMHO, not ideal, since your video recording (the primary activity in almost all cases) is broken up / no longer continuous.

The HD1000 manual seems to indicate that the HD1000 does it the way I'd think people would want it to - a simultaneous capture, not interrupting the video:

http://sanyoservice.com/pdf/images/VPCHD1000.pdf (page 79)

If you are recording in "Full-HD" mode (i.e. 1080i) you get a 2mp 16:9 still image (1920x1080). If you are shooting video in the other two HD modes (i.e. 720p), you get a 0.9mp 16:9 still image (1280x720). And, likewise, if you are shooting SD 640x480 video you get (I know it is shocking) a 640x480 0.3mp still. :-)

So....my question to HD700 and HD1000 owners is this - have you tried it, and does it work as described? (ideally, I'd hear verification that the HD1000 will produce a 1920x1080 still without video interruption, and also hear that the HD700 actually doesn't interrupt the video...but I'm doubtful of the latter :-( ).

Also, does anyone know if any other camcorders do this in the proper way?

Thanks!
Marcus Alzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2008, 1:43 AM   #2

I only can speak for the HD1000 (tried right now):

The image size of the stills has the same size as the video, no matter the video size. Certainly you hear a little "click" inthe audio track by pressing the shutter button. If handheld, there is a little movement by pressing the shutter button, but the video isn't interrupted, not a little bit.

I dont use this feature, because of the movement and the audio. I extract a still in playback mode of the cam witch I think hasthe same quality.

Some videoplayer also have this feature. Here is a sample still out of a video ([email protected], size 1280x720 pixels, about 100kB, see attachment) extracted with vlc-player (snapshot-function)

Extracted in playback mode the samestill (1280x720) has about 300kB (too big to attach here) and ismore detailed!

Attached Images

ddchesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:33 PM   #3

ddchesser- Nice shot! Also, there are so many facets of VLC that I've seen in the settings but haven't explored - cool. I'll have to check out those two capture modes within VLC.

I wonder how much of a difference the HD1000's 720/60 makes vs the HD700's 720/30(correct?) for still-capture-from-video....I might check for myself soon enough. :-)
Marcus Alzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 2:16 AM   #4

I think that will be nearly the same.Perhaps a little bit more motion if you have "only 30 fps". But it depends on the shutter speed and youcan't infuence that in video mode.

Good light:idea:-good shutter speed-good videos- good stills:lol:.

Happy experiments!

ddchesser is offline   Reply With Quote