Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:25 AM   #1

Hello,

I'm searching for an HD camera to record people dancing salsa, so I need one that fits into thin jeans, and that performs well under low-light conditions (in some ocasions I will use the lamp on some ocasions).

I'm between HD1000 and HD700, hd1000 seems to be better in many ways to hd700, but hd700 is more compact.

What do you recommend me?

Also, I have some of questions:
- Do both of them support lamp while recording video?
- How many time do battery lasts on them with and without lamp-mode?
- I heard that with hd700 you need an 0.45x lens, has hd1000 an wide enought lens-angle for not requiring this?
- If I have an 8GB SDHC card, can I record 8GB, or I can only do 4GB files?
- Is hd1000 thin enought to fit un a jeans pocket? I have an canon A710IS and it doesn't fit very well...

Thank you!
XoRDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:07 AM   #2

Have you a place to see the Hd1000 in person? if notthen you must rely on thosewho own.

I can comment on the Hd700, not the Hd1000.

hd700 80 min batt life pdf manual, real time 1hr, and a few minutes No lamp

Hd700 does not support a lamp

battery will last 1000 or more times it is a li-on 3.7 vdc battery (understood your question)

you do not need a wide angle lens, it is an option to you to mod one, the Hd100 allows an attachment while the HD does not.

hd700 with a moddedwide angle allows you to film a room without backing up, it gives thecam a extra XX feet and allows you to film, it may be best to have a wide angle to capture more footage. and that is where a Hd1000 becomes even more bulkier, while the Hd700 will still fit in your pocket with a modded lens

If you have a sdhc card you be able to record. not 100% sure if the cam has a limitI am sure t does, reason piracy FCC rules and regulations today (my opinion)

Hd1000 will fit in a slacks pocket but very bulky a jeans pocket may be to tight, again cannot commen but by the looks of it. I can fit my JVC grd-395U in my jeans pocket and it is bulky so I can imagine ifneeded to the HD100 my fit okay.

If one places a strap andwears it , or even a holster then it may work. a lamp light is something you have to externally work with mny outfits out there. Low light is on any cama users issue .

no light no video . light on object video

XoRDy wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I'm searching for an HD camera to record people dancing salsa, so I need one that fits into thin jeans, and that performs well under low-light conditions (in some ocasions I will use the lamp on some ocasions).

I'm between HD1000 and HD700, hd1000 seems to be better in many ways to hd700, but hd700 is more compact.

What do you recommend me?

Also, I have some of questions:
- Do both of them support lamp while recording video?
- How many time do battery lasts on them with and without lamp-mode?
- I heard that with hd700 you need an 0.45x lens, has hd1000 an wide enought lens-angle for not requiring this?
- If I have an 8GB SDHC card, can I record 8GB, or I can only do 4GB files?
- Is hd1000 thin enought to fit un a jeans pocket? I have an canon A710IS and it doesn't fit very well...

Thank you!
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:58 AM   #3

Thanks for your answer!

I think hd1000 is my best option...

About the battery, I was talking about the duration. I've readed the manual and found that it's about 80min in 720p, so I'll better get another battery...

Does somebody know where can I buy the official from Sanyo in an internet shop of spain, or any country in europe?

Thank you
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:03 AM   #4

big warning.. I have yet to see anybody who can comfortably edit/output 1080 h264 out of their editing software using HD1000 footage.

Did you know the HD1000 has a cmos sensor and the HD700 has an actual CCD?
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:46 AM   #5

What do you mean with this? Is there any program to edit (I don't mind if it's a simple one, just to cut the videos) or convert them into other mpeg4 codecs?

With my cousin's SONY HDR-SR7 I had the same problem, but I can edit the videos with Sony Vegas 7.0e (neither 7.0d and 8.0a don't like AVCHD-m2ts videos) and convert them into any codec.

BTW, what difference should I see between an CMOS sensor and an CCD sensor?

greetings
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:39 AM   #6

yes I mentioned two battery is 80 min and li-on recharges over a 1000 times:blah:

video editing use software or the supplied camera that comes with it.

other than that you're on your own in software pkgs

vegas 7 hmmmm not sure but 8 allows hd700 after updated patchs

CMos vs. CCD research

a Cmos ilike better of a ccd. thesmear I have on the models I am beginning to live with
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:00 AM   #7

"big warning.. I have yet to see anybody who can comfortably edit/output 1080 h264 out of their editing software using HD1000 footage."

Huh??? I was able to edit my HD1000 footage with no problem in the trial version of Vegas Pro 8 I downloaded and was able to burn these files as an AVCHD DVD (regular normal DVD with HD content) using the trial version of Nero 8 and play the disc in my Sony PS3. Why do so many people say it's hard to edit these MP4 files? If you have the right codecs and right software you can do it. You can even do some simple editing in Nero 8 if Vegas is too expensive. Ulead's Video Studio Pro is supposed to work but every AVC file I've rendered with it plays in this wierd loop thing where it plays, for example, 4 seconds then jumps back and plays from 2 seconds to 6 seconds, then 4 seconds to 8 seconds, etc. It's all messed up and I've tried on two machines in two different locations. But there are some other softwares that support editing MP4.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:36 AM   #8

I have to agree it is difficultto you get it right.

Quicktime.Mov.MP4
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:00 PM   #9

What I mean is.. don't think not even for a moment that HD footage (specially h.264 at 1080 resolution) will be as easy to work with as, let's say.. DV files.
Not only is it hard to work with MPEG4 files at HD resolutions... but you need a lot of horsepower (CPU, ram) and you cannt freely scrub around the timeline to check your footage.

Think about it this way.. if it takes 80% of your processor just to playback a 1080 h264 clip... how much more do you think it will take to be able to manipulate that same clip? (resize, color correct, apply effects, scrub around in the timeline, re-compress).

At true HD resolution, there are 2073600 pixels for every frame, and to make matters worse, they are compressed with h264. Is not easy feat to edit HD footage. Marketing will always tell you how easy and 'fun' it is to work and edit HD.. to get you to shell out the cash.

In fact, I tell you what... don't believe anything I say, just go on the forum and look for some video completely edited in true HD resolution from an HD1000. There must be loads...
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:09 PM   #10

"In fact, I tell you what... don't believe anything I say, just go on the forum and look for some video completely edited in true HD resolution from an HD1000. There must be loads..."

Easy there killer :bye:No one is saying editing HD is simple stuff. It's just the way you made it sound came off like people wouldn't be able to edit and get their videos onto another medium in which case *that* wouldn't be a true statement. And by the way, I've found a good amount of HD1000 footage that was edited to download - just takes a lot of clever Google searching.

Yes, editing HD requires an up to date, at least dual core, PC to work comfortably. But the good thing is the price of high powered PC's has dropped dramatically, so much so that Iupgraded my PC toan IntelQuad Core 6600+ a number of months back. Total price for new motherboard, processor, PSU for my case, 2gb DDR2 800 memory, and a PCI Express video card was about $600. It's even less now! And with it, using trial software versions no less,I've comfortably edited and output my HD1000 footage to a standard DVD with AVC high definition content as well as have rendered back to MP4 and as AVI's using Xvid and DivX codecs. So... all in all it's not that hard. You just need a decent PC and decent software. With the current price drops on dual core AMD chips and low prices of decent video cardsanyone can upgrade their PCto handle HD well.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote