Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:51 PM   #1

Hi,

Stuff that does work: playing 720 30p and 60p MP4 files generated by the HD1000, also editing in Sony Vegas Platinum (latest version)

What doesn't work: playing 1080i files

I've tried installing a pile of codecs and players, but they are all crashing when I try to view the mp4 files. Even the 720 files are causing player crashes towards the end of viewing them.

My old HD1 has worked out really nicely and the files from that play without any trouble.

I had an AMD 64 X2, and upgraded to an Intel Q6600 Quad core. Other stats are 3gb, w/ geforce 7900 gt. I would think this would be enough horsepower to make the files play, but apparently not. I think I am having more trouble with the new quad core cpu and new codecs than I had with the X2 cpu before...

I've been happy with the vegas software for editing so far, though admittedly haven't done much.

Quite happy with battery life on the hd1000 versus the hd1. storage / sd card usage has been decent also. Glad the ac adapter port has been moved where it is, and that the sd card entry has been flipped to the normal orientation.

Has anyone not been able to play the 1080i mp4's and then been able to get them to play? In Windows Media Player, it just plays audio and shows a green screen. I have this suspicion that I installed some crappy codec somewhere along the way.

I'm almost thinking of going back to the amd x2... at least for some tests.

-a

adriano.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:08 PM   #2

Adriano, I can play my HD1000 files perfectly fine in 1080i no problem. I use Windows XP and an Intel Q6600 Quad Core processor. You need to have the right codecs which you likely do not have. I used to get a green screen when trying to play MP4 files but I downloadeda codec pack whichfixed it. Download this codec pack:

http://www.download.com/Media-Player...html?tag=lst-1

It includes the right codec that will allow you to play your HD1000 files in 1080i with no problem and with NO slowdown or jerkiness being you have a decent PC.

By the way, just a mention... it's my personal preference using the older version of Windows Media Player rather than the newer versions. Every Windows installation (don't know about Vista though)still has the older version which has a file name of mplayer2.exe. I set all my videofile types to open with that as it's a MUCH better player and will even play some streaming files that the latest versionswill not - don't ask me why.

Anyhow, follow the above link to download.com and download the Media Codec Pack and after installing it you should be able to play your 1080i files.

Oh, and the HD1000 doesn't do 1080 60p. It'll only do 60p in 720. In 1080 there's only interlaced.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:53 PM   #3

Awesome, thanks. That did the trick. I am no longer blind, haaa.

THANKS!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:35 PM   #4

No problem Adriano, that's what we're all here for. That's why it kills me when reviews are negative cause someone couldn't get something to play, even semi-professional reviewers, when sometimes getting something to work is so simple if people just took the time to either ask or research.

Anyhow, best of luck. The HD1000 rocks!

Rev.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:39 AM   #5

Any suggestions for another Video editor that can work with the Hd1000 (happy to spend £50 on S/W if that's what it takes!)

Thanks to Rev2010 for the Codec suggestion.

I've got a new Xacti Hd1000

I tried the Ulead Movie factory 5se install, but it refused to install 9 files

(BurnNow,Disdup,DMFenc) (00,01,02).enc

and was pretty useless with:-

VLC media player (0.8.6d) sound OK, video freeze, crashes on exit
Quicktime sound Video (strange pattern curruption, sound plays)

I'm currently running a 1.4Ghz 1GByte IBM x31 laptop, and would like to get confidence that I would be able to "resize" some video clips for internet use, and not be building a media library that is going to be "off the beaten track"

RobD-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:52 AM   #6

have you tried sony vegas plat edition? looks like it's in your budget.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ct.asp?pid=447

i've been happy with it.

to get the vlc to work, try the download he suggested of codecs (you can opt out of the toolbars during the install).

-a

Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:01 AM   #7

Although I haven't tried it yet, as mentioned, you could try the Vegas Movie Studio Platinum which is a heck of a lot less expensive at $95 on Amazon. Download the trial first to be sure it'll do everything you need! They also list a differences comparison and it seems to have most important features of Vegas Pro for general use.

Your computer however is not going to handle editing the HD content well. Laptops alone aren't avery good choicefor video editing , even current day models, as they are never as powerful as their full size PC counterparts. To top it off your laptop isn't very fast as a single core (it is single core right?) processor and only having 1 gig of memory.

You should have at least adual core processor and 2 gigs of memory. You don't need more than two gigs so don't get carried away. Windows XP will only use up to 3 gigs of memory so if you get a PC and put in four it's a bit of a waste as the last gig won't be taken advantage of. And if you install 3 memory chips you'll loose dual channel memory functionality so stick with pairs of memory sticks.

Best of luck!

Rev.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 2:04 PM   #8

A big "thank you" to Adriano and Rev2010.

I have now ordered the Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum Edition from Amazon £54 in UK.

I think that I will have trouble with my X31, but for the moment I would like to capture the Video in High Def, and then "produce it" to:-
* DVD for own viewing
* Some QuickTime for websites
I've got a 1366 x 768 hi res TV, but I'm not so fussed on the relative loss of DVD vs 1366 x 768 is not going to kill me (I may have to eat those words later on!)

But I like the idea of capturing at high quality.

I'm pondering a new computer in about 1 year, and might go over to the apple camp, as the Air Book looks quite good, and I am dreading the thought of being bullied into using VISTA.

I think that the s/w will take a bit of time to produce the films on my old laptop (but I like the idea of it doing a bit of work while I'm asleep!)

My AVG does not play the HI-Res even after downloading the
http://www.download.com/Media-Player...html?tag=lst-1
but that may be down to me not doing some post install tweaking.

I tried to connect the camera to a fairly old USB computer drive, as I was wondering if one might do better building a library of video on a disk drive, and using the camera as the "player". The camera did not like the look of my old USB drive, so I think that I will keep an eye on that.

Anyway thanks to you guys for the helping hands.
RobD-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 2:26 PM   #9

Ok good, have you tried playing the videos w/ your TV? Did that all go ok?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:33 PM   #10

You can use an externalUSB hard drive as you probably already know but it will need to be powered with a power supply or from a USB power cable that plugs into a computer USB port. The docking station will not power the drives. So if you look to buy a new drive make sure it's one of the ones that comes with a power supply or make sure you have an adapter that is 5v and has the correct connector.

I've too havebeen thinking about storing all my vids on an external drive and having a backup of them on my PC. I've been playing with burning HD content and while it works I'm not too happy that I have to use much higher bitrates to retain the same quality present in the HD1000's 12mbps AVC files.

By the way, if you have aPS3 or XBOX 360 you can play your MP4 files through either system. My PS3 has an SD card slot so I just pop it in and play. You will need to have the files in a folder called VIDEO. For the XBox you will need to put the files on a USB drive or memory stick. By the way, did you download the trial version of the software you bought? You should always try the trial first to make sure you like it.

Rev.