Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:13 PM   #1

So, I know Nero 8will take the AVC/H.264 MP4 files from the HD1000 and convert and burn them to an AVCHD playable standard DVD disc (for playback on the PS3 or XBOX 360).Is there any software out there that will do it without converting to AVCHD which is actually a different format? My biggest issue with Nero is that at 12mbps and even 14mbps with either fast encoding or high quality VBR and everything set to best quality the final result is of less quality than the original MP4 file. To compund matters it seems Nero 8 only allows you to choose a maximum of 14mbps so I can't even attempt to see what it would look like at 20mbps. It also does very poorly handling interlaced. I've had to covert my files to progressive in Vegas to get the motion to look normal.

So, any what other software is available to burn our files as high definition content on regular DVD's? I'd like to hold out a while till Blu-Ray burners come down in price but I don't want the quality to be less than the original file.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2008, 7:02 AM   #2

My brand new HD1000 will be here in a few days and I have been reading all I can on this forum and researching topics like this on the internet.

I found this product which seems to have the specs that you are looking for; have you made a decision since your post?

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1175714228558

Ulead VideoStudio 11.5 Plus - also, found a copy available for download on eBay at even less cost.......... John
The_Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 9:33 AM   #3

It doesn't work. For some reason it messes up the video horribly. It's like the video plays for two seconds then jumps back one second, plays again for two seconds, and jumps back a second again, etc. Don't know why and never resolved it. I've actually found I prefer just copying my videos to my PS3 hard drive and viewing them through there. I also have an HTPC (home theater PC) and can also just copy the files to the hard drive in it and play them through there. So right no there's really no need for optical media. When Blu-Ray burners and media come down in price I will likely just burn to blu-ray.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 1:00 AM   #4

I also have a new HD1000 and have been trying out software. I've downloaded and tried the Ulead VideoStudio 11 trial. (There is an 11.5 version out, but the trial is for 11.)

I shot the movie clips in 760p with 60 frames per second. I have loaded my short clips from the camera into a project in the program and am trying to edit and combine them. The problem that I am having is that I can play the individual clips when I'm editing, but if I try to play the "project" (joined clips) the sound and video are very jerky. I was able to export an HD MPEG 2 file that played very well in Windows media center, though.

The DVD that I made is standard resolution, though. I don't think you can make a high resolution DVD. If you know better, please tell me.

I was also thinking of just exporting the movie back to H.264 format and playing the file on my TV via my HD1000 camera. I can't figure out how else to play them in high def on the TV. (If you know how, please tell me.)

Anyhow, although the Ulead software does export to the H.264 format, it only does so with presets for ipods and such, so the resolution is very low.

Premiere Elements does allow H.264 file export at higher resolutions, though. I must admit that is my favorite program so far.

Trying to edit these very highly compressed, high resolution movies is very demanding for you computer. The Premiere Elements forum suggests converting the clips to AVI-DV format before bringing them into Premiere Elements to edit. There is a free program called MPEG StreamClip that is wonderful for doing that. I'm going to try that next.

I'd like to hear what everyone else is doing for editors for the HD1000.
Web Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 1:05 AM   #5

What software do you use to play the h.264 files? My computer is fairly new and has a very good processor, but no separate graphics card. With most of the players I've tried, it really struggles to play the files from the camera.
Old May 31, 2008, 5:32 PM   #6

I just checked in the Ulead/Corel Web site. With the upgrade to version 11.5 of the VideoStudio, you DO get support for HD h.264 file output. It looks like they have increased their support there.