Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:06 AM   #11

Thanks guys, that's helpful (although possibly expensive).

But -- as asked -- could it just be the video card, and not the CPU or RAM?

Thanks!! Great forum.

Lonny

http://www.photowords.com
photowords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:17 AM   #12

There's no way to be sure really. All the components will have an effect. Although your PC touts 2.4ghz it's only one number of a whole. See, even at 2.4ghz your system bus may only be 800mhz whereas most PC's today tout 1333mhz-3200mhz system bus'. Then there's the memory speed. So there's no real way to answer your question. I'll be totally honest though... your video card is probably also of an older slot type. It's probably AGP and today's standard is PCI Express x16 - different than original PCI. So if you upgrade your card you likelywon't be able to use it in your next machine.

You could always buy a card from a place that offers a 30day return for refund and give it a try. If it doesn't help just return it. You will most likely need to upgrade your PC however.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:24 AM   #13

Thanks! Perfect description of the problem, and great advice. I'll get a returnable video card, and prepare to shell out for a new computer (probably due anyway -- I bought the Dell in 2003, stone age times). IIt's not the expense that's holding me back, but the investment in time to get a new computer up and running.

Lonny

Old Mar 8, 2008, 7:02 PM   #14

Hi Guys,
OK my full specs are an Intel Core 2 T5500 @ 1.66Ghz, 747Mhz, 2 x 512mb ram. ATI Mobility Radeon X1700, which i am pretty certain has 512mb shared memory. Windows XP SP2.

Now reading other peoples experiences i thought that it would play the files smoothly, but it doesnt. Apart from the fact my max resolution is 1280 x 800, the 1080i files play jerky with the interlacing quite evident. Also the audio is out of sync. The 720p 60fps plays much better but its still not perfect. Would 1gb more ram help? I have also tried the older media player with the same result. I should try your suggestions and switch off all unneccessary apps, thanks for the advice.

Albot
Albot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:13 PM   #15

Albot, Rev, all --

Thanks!!! for your advice. It worked. I went to a local used computer store to look for a new video card and instead found a used $600 Gateway with a Core 2 processor, 2gb of RAM and fast bus. It also had a 512mb video card with dual monitors (which I've wanted for a while anyway). I had the HD1000 with me, so I shot some video in the store, loaded the codecs into the Gateway and played the video -- it was as smooth as can be. Brought it home and spent the weekend loading up the computer and it's much better than the old Dell.

BTW, Rev, the guy at the computer store said you were (of course) completely right. It's unlikely going from a 32mb to a 256mb video card would have made any difference in my old Dell.

So thanks for your help. It was only mildly expensive, but a good deal for the new computer. Oh, and I bought a 2nd monitor while I was there and set that up, too.

Best,

Lonny

Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:14 PM   #16

Hi Lonny, so glad to hear it all worked out! Best of luck with the new setup and your HD1000!

Rev.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:19 PM   #17

Hello, first time post here...

I just got a Sanyo HD1000. Love the camera! I recently took a trip to sunny Arizona and accumulated about 4 gigs worth of video clips (probably 50 in total). I shot them all in the highest res setting (1080i). Transferring the clips to my computer took some time - but I was patient.

Here's the problem:
I am not able to successfully play the files on my computer. I was able to get it to sputter through a very small clip a couple times but the other files overwork my computer so much it is impossible to watch a clip (sputters and then completely stops). It gets worse - my hard drive begins thrashing violently starting when I just open the folder that contains all the video files. So, its not so much that the files themselves choke my system (although that happens too), but just opening the folder on my pc causes my system to thrash extremely hard. I usually have to shutdown to gain control of my pc again.

I'm running a brand spankin' new Quad Core PC with 2 Gigs of ram and a 512 MG video card from HP. I'm not thinking its a hardware issue. I am however running Windows Vista. An OS issue you think?

Any insight GREATLY appreciated. PS - I haven't installed the codec as mentioned above but will try that later today. Again, thanks for this forum. The best I've seen.

Scott
scottpet @ hotmail.com
scottpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:54 PM   #18

I hate to do this to you, but if you haven't already, read down through this whole thread as there's some helpful info in it. Did you download a Codec Pack, if so which one? Vista really does oops tremendously but you can tweak it to perform a lot better. I don't know how computer savvy you are but what you can do is to shut down all the non-essential startup processes. When you buy a new PC it usually comes loaded with tons of software that starts up automatically. For example, most PC's will start up bacjground processes for Adobe Acrobat, CD Burning software, Google Updater, Google Desktop, Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, etc etc etc. You get the point. So nearly all of that can be turned off from starting up background processes. You can still useyour software by simply launching them from the programs menu or desktop shortcuts - the background startup processes are usually so programs launch quicker or allow you to do things most don't need on the fly. If you're not computer savvy try to get a friend who is over to tweak out the machine. Make sure it's someone who knows what they're doing like someone that works in IT for a living if you can.

Rev.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:08 PM   #19

Thanks. No, I haven't installed the codec yet. I will do that tonight and see if it helps. But yeah, I'm actually pretty savy and follow along with all that you said. It is good advice. I'm strictly a non-bloatware guy myself. I've done a clean install of the OS and turned of all non-needed start up processes. That doesn't seem to improve the performance. One thing I haven't tried is disabling "Windows Live OneCare" which is a resource hog. I will turn that off and then try to access the Videos folder again. It is very strange though....just opening the folder that contains the video files (not actually opening the files themselves) is what causes the hard drive to spin violently and cause my computer to be unresponsive.

Also, when I try to import the .mp4's into Apple Quicktime Pro (for file conversion) that, as well, causing my hard drive to take a nosedive. Also, trying to watch the files with the player inside Zune Marketplace has the same thrashing hard drive affect.

Not sure if it even matters but... I never installed the software that came with the Sanyo HD1000 (the CD that came in the box). Not sure if there is something essential I need to have installed in order for folders/files to open properly. Again, I'm a non-bloatware user so I try to stay away from anything other than just installing the drivers, etc.

Praying that the codecs do the trick. Any other ideas feel free to chime in!

Scott
scottpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:23 PM   #20

Yeah, don't bother to install the software that came with it. It's worthless. As for the drive churning when opening the folder with the video files... sounds a hell of a lot like anti-virus software scanning all the files in the folder as you access it. Everytime you go into a folder anti-virus software scans all the files within. I use AVG and don't have any problem but some can be an issue. If you don't have anti-virus software then heck, I'm a bit at a loss. To be honest, I stay far away from Vista. Have you considered doing an XP install? Anyhow, try shutting down that process you mentioned and if you have anti-virus software trying ending all the processes in Task Manager AND also stopping all the relatedservices as you have to do that too. See if anything changes and let us know.

Rev.