Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 14, 2008, 1:15 PM   #21

The folder that your vid files are located in, is it setup to display thumbnails?

If so, maybe your HD is churning trying to display all the thumbnails of the vids you have in that folder.

I don't know...just a thought that popped into my head.

Hope you get your probs solved!
Stephman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 1:56 PM   #22

Good idea. Yes, I do have the folder settings set to "show thumbnails". I will turn that off and see if that improves.

Another update:
I installed the codecs as well as shut off the virus/spyware and that DID seem to improve the performance somewhat. I was actually able to watch 6 or 7 videos successfully...but then the hard drive started thrashing again and I wasn't able to watch anymore videos (near lock-up). I turned off all unneccessary system processes and I also ran the disk defrag through completion, did a reboot, and tried again. Again, it worked for a few videos. But then the hard drive was working too hard again and froze everything up.

My plan of attack:
I am chalking this one up as a Windows Vista Ultimate problem as I've spent considerable amount of time removing any other variables. I'm going to wait until Service Pack 1 comes out, install the 64 bit version and max out the RAM to 8gbs - doing this all with a fresh reformat and install.

If that doesn't work - I'm going back/upgrading to Windows XP SP2.

One thing to note.... watching videos on my wife Mac Book Pro works like a dream. Not one issue. Very frustrating but need I say...typical.

Scott
scottpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 2:46 PM   #23

Good point Stephman! Yes, having "View Thumbnails" set will indeed create a much longer time accessing folders with a lot of images/videos in them. Definitely change the view to list or something.

Hey, I'll be honest here... you really should stick with Windows XP. Vista is feared and mocked in the IT world. Both my last company and the new one I just started in are skipping over it in hopes Windows Seven is a safer choice. I think Vista is going to be the next Windows Millenium. I think they'll soon shove it under the carpet.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:38 AM   #24

That worked! Changing the folder settings to not show thumbnails has fixed the problem entirely. Thanks again. I would count this as anotherbug in Vista for sure.

Now onto my next issue I'm hoping to find and answer for...

.mp4 files that come off the camera need to be converted into something else in order for Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 to import them. I don't want to lose any quality of the file when converting the files into anything other than .mp4. Apple Quicktime Pro ($29.99) does an o.k. job of converting - but you can tell the file has been converted. The quality is no longer fantastic looking 1080i 60 fps that it was coming off the Sanyo.

Does anyone know the best method of converting .mp4 WITHOUT losing any video resolution quality?

<sigh> I'm really shocked a $1k program like Adobe's Premiere Pro CS3 doesn't accept .mp4.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:53 AM   #25

I use Vegas Pro 8 and it works wonderfully. I have to say though I have found the encoder in the HD1000 to be of truly excellent quality. I've re-rendered files in Vegas Pro using MainConcept's AVC/AAC codec (same format as HD1000) andat the same 12mbps bitrate it still looks excellent but if you scrutinize both the original and re-rendered clips you can spot a loss in quality. Same is still true for re-rendering at 14mbps.I've done some testing and have found that at 20mbps a re-rendered files looks identical with no quality loss at all. I think I can probably still get identical quality at a bit lower than 20mbps but I really haven't tested everything between 14mbps and 20mbps. Maybe 16mbps would be enough.

So, let me ask for some more info. What are you doing with your videos? What are you planning to view the fileswith when you're done with them? What type of editing do you need to apply to them?

Rev.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 2:16 PM   #26

Thanks for the great info on Vegas. I'm going to look into using that program.

I will want to do lots of nice, studio production quality editing using both Premiere Pro CS3 as well as Adobe After Effects. The output will be both Blu-Ray (video productions for work) as well as HD flash for the web. I've spent a lot of money on software already and am trying to find something that simply converts .mp4 into something Adobe can work with. I'm not too concerned with the output file size. I just need the quality to remain native to what the Sanyo camera produces.

I see Vegas is about $500. Any other conversion methods worth checking out as well? Thanks again for the info.

Scott
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:31 AM   #27
rxr

rxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:53 PM   #28

rxr wrote:
Quote:
Rev2010, that 2nd link doesn't work.

"Here is the second 1080i .mp4 video with the EV adjusted all the way up to +1.8"
It should be ok now. Turns out the sharing "expired" but I reset the time to 365 days. It's working now.

Rev.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:03 PM   #29

Hello guys,

I was looking around on the internet for reviews about portable HD cameras, and my final choice was made today. I am getting the Sanyo HD1000.
I purchased the camera and two 8Gb Kingston 8GB Class 6 SDHC Card from B&Hphotovideo online.. and I am expecting to receive the package by Friday. I will shoot a demo video and share it here for those who need to make comparisons with other models/cameras.
GillouStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:58 AM   #30

Congrats and I'm looking forward to seeing your footage.You could've saved some money on the SD cards though. I bought my camera as well from B&H and they are an excellent retailer with awesome policies and prices. However, Newegg.com can't be beat for prices on computer equipment (and many other items). I got my 16gig SDHC card from them for $60.99. Here's a link to their 16gig cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...mp;Order=PRICE

I got the A-Data one. Again, congrats and best of luck with your new camera. Don't forget to post some vids!

Rev.