Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:58 PM   #1

Hi everyone.

I have been browsing here allot before but I never registerd..untill now.

For almost a week now I have a Sanyo HD1000. I used to own a HD2. I really love my HD1000. The video quality over the HD2 is miles. Anyway, there is 1 problem where I am not sure is normal. When I pan around..fast but not to fast. The image becomes REALLY pixlated. Like you enlarged a 320 x 240 reso video into fullscreen. IT goes away after a split second. This is really anoying. I have almost owned the HD2 for 1 year so I am not new to this. But the HD2 didn't have this problem.

So does anyone with a HD1000 have this problem? my firmware is the 1.1.0 version.

Greetings from the Netherlands

Amar :-)

p.s see below a screen capture of the pixilated image.
Attached Images

Captain-Amar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:39 AM   #2

Yes, I've been getting lots of blockiness, which I assume is due to the compression algorithms.

I don't recall it being this bad in my HD1...

I'm thinking about getting a Canon HV20/30. I hate dealing with tape, but I think the HDV format is just going to be that much better than the AVCHD, enough to justify the nuisance.

Looking at video from my recent travels is kind of depressing because of all the blockiness. Anyone with suggestions on avoiding that'd be most welcome.

-a
adriano.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:33 PM   #3

Adriano, Amar had told me in an e-mail that a lot of the blockiness went away when turning off the electronic image stabilizaton. I turned mine off within one week from getting mine as it didn't seem to help much plus I didn't like the idea of it being an electronic algorithm.So, give that a try and do a test. I have been very happy with my HD1000 and recently took a trip to Cancun with it and am totally astonished how good the footage is. It's even better than anything I've filmed at home sosunny skiesare even more of a help in image quality. The footage was even better than I expected. I had never noticed any motion blockiness till Amar mentioned it at which point I paused and looked for it. Although there was a very small amount it wasn't anywhere near as bad as in the image Amar posted. So, you may find a good improvement with the stabilization off.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 1:40 PM   #4

Yeah, the IS did seem to help a little bit. But actually I am not so sure anymore. I have done allot more testing and the 720p looks to me like its sharper then the 1080i. I don't know if its the weather, or the subject im filming. But I like the 720p better. And with 720p and IS it seems I still get minimal blockiness.

Anyway, in case any of you is intrested. Here are some sample's:

http://www.vimeo.com/772673

http://www.vimeo.com/758861

http://www.vimeo.com/768264

http://www.vimeo.com/749339

Thanks

Amar
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:42 PM   #5

The 720p mode is definitely not sharper than the full HD 1080 mode. I have compared identical clips shot in both modes and the 1080 is sharper, less "smudgy" looking than the 720p image scaled to fill the same 1920x1080 screen.I've compared it on my PC and on my 1920x1080 hi-def 52" Samsung LCD TV and the 1080 footage always has a higher degree of clarity. With the 720 60p however motion is much smoother, freeze frames are mostly absent of blur, and there is no interlacing artifacts obviously. On my hi-def TV though the interlaced is not really noticeable at all. On my computer however, which must downward interpolate as my resolution is less than hi-def at 1280x1024, the interlacing is actually magnified 2-3 fold which makes interlaced clips with even the slightest bit of motionlook terrible on my PC screen. On your computer screen it may appear this way but on a full hi-def TV you will see the difference.

Rev.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:51 PM   #6

ok, well. I do watch most of my video's on my 17'' TFT. But on my friends 22'' I see jaggies with the 1080i mode. I don't with th 720p mode. His screen resolution is 1600 by 1200. So I am still not sure. I don't have a 1080i HD TV around. But for computer monitors the 720p still looks better. But, like said, I have to test in better weather conditions.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:27 PM   #7

Well, my point is that the 1920x1080 interlaced mode is going to look worseon *any* screen not displaying exactly 1920x1080. You're friends monitor is still downward interpolating the video as his max screen width is 1600 rather than 1920. As a result, the video will look worse. If you ever get a chance to see the 1080i mode on an HDTV that supports full 1080i (not 720 or 768 like the lower price HDTV's) you will see the difference.

If you're using your HD1000 to create content intended for playback on aPC then you're definitely a lot better off using 720p. If you're main intention is for playback on HDTV's you will get ahigher qualityimage with 1080i but the motion is a whole lot better with 720p. If you're filming fast motion such as sports you are always better off with 720p.

Rev.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:29 PM   #8

Alright. Thanks allot for your explanation.