Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:02 AM   #11
vip

I'm happy to see my question triggered interest.

I'm electric engineer too, so I understand the insights of volts and amps.

To answer to Albot; there is not way to measure precisely the current required by a device other than using an ampmeter (or multimeter since ampmeter alone is now difficult to see). To add complexity you would need to break the circuit and make the current flow thru the meter (opposite to volts that can be measured accross to points, the amps are measured making the meter part of the circuit).

The other method would be empyrical, using different power supplies and seing which works, but we are not speaking about light bulbs but delicate equipment.

In general and speaking about disks, I can confirm what was said by ddchesser; USB specification states the high current USB ports provide 5Volts/500mA. This is enough for most of the USB devices, but some, specially 2.5" hard disks that are announced as "self-powered" from the bus require more than this. You recognize those devices as they come with a Y cable so you plug to TWO USB ports, being one of them just to extract the additional "juice" enough to power the disk, meaning the disks usually require something between 500mA and 1 Amp, hence the safest being buying a USB-type power supply that provides 5Volts/1A (or more).

The other way to know the consumption is to check it with manufacturer, but I raised the question since Iomega does not publish the data for theirs and I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any such disk that has a low consumption enough to be powered by the dock station (I'm still interested to know it). I can purchase a Western Digital for just 10€ more, just if I knew it can work without requiring an additional power supply the 10€ in difference will pay the lack of additional power supply and the hassle to carry extra cables with me.

Regards
vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:21 PM   #12

Hey Vip,
Thanks for the answer to my question.

Re the addtionaly USB power cable for external 2.5" HDDs, I thought they were primarily for older computers that do not supply the 500mA. My 2.5" HDD came supplied with the additional cable, but runs without it.

Now in reagard to the Xacti docking station and my impending aquistion of a $1 300mA power adpapter, I actually think that combined together it will be enough the spin the HDD. Because although 300mA seems too low itself, as the docking station powers the HDD light this indicates that some power is being transmitted. So fingers crossed that both power souces equals ~500mA. Otherwise i will just buy the $26 700mA one that will be guranteed to work.

What is the status on those 64gb solid state flash based HDs that sandisk are working on, cause they wouldnt use much power at all.

Albot
Albot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:33 AM   #13
vip

Albot, you are raising exactly the point that trigger me creating this post. I was expecting the dock to be able to cope with the requirements for modern 2.5 disks and was thinking it could be the Iomega disk drains too much power and some other may work without supplemental power.

The way to resolve thise would be to measure the current the dock supplies... unfortunately I'm too lazy to cut a cable and maybe prefer to live with (yet) another power supply around.

Regards
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:59 AM   #14

Oops, dont mean to go round in circles. :?

Interestingly, the docking station transformer (i think thats what it is called) says that it has an output of 5v and 2mA, whereas the docking station itself just mentions the volatage input and output. We need a renagade electrical hobbyist to bust open the docking station and make it supply the ampage we need! lol.

As we are about to go backpacking for some months, i am atleast happy that an additional power source will allow us to save the files without the use of a pc.

Oh by the way, i should put it on record that i am really amazed at the outdoor video quality of the xacti hd1000. I cant wait to document my trip in glorious HD.

Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:28 AM   #15
vip

If it was a cheaper device I would dare to use one of the two options:

a) use a higher rated power supply (5 v, 3Amp) to power the dock and expect the USB plug gets more juice out of the power supply (less likely to work as the USB driver might be limiting the power)

b) use equally a higher rated power supply, but use a Y cable at power level so one branch goes to the dock, the other to the disk. This would be safe provided the power supply is trusted (good enough)

All in all to save one power supply... maybe the benefit does not pay the hassle and risk to use a no-name power supply with our beloved camera.

Regards
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:42 AM   #16

Ok, i have an update. I just received from ebay my mains powered USB adapter that cost me 99cents, quite amazing. Anyway, following on from before we were discussing the ampage required to spin an external 2.5" HDD, well i have some results to report for my Lacie 160gb HDD.

The adpater states that it has a max output of 400mA, which is 100mA less than what the USB from my laptop puts out. As 500mA fires it up, i was hoping that the 400mA from the adapter plus whatever comes out of the docking station (enough to light the light) would get the HDD spinning.

But no.

Bugger, oh well, it only cost me a buck. Step 2 is now to get an adapter that puts out more than 500mA. The cheapest i have found in Australia is $26 so far so, hmmm. Maybe i should wait until i get to Akihabara in may.

Thanks for all your help.
Old May 21, 2008, 5:27 AM   #17

I'm having a western digital esentil passport portable hdd with only one USB wich include powered .. (so there are no need / no external usb or power wire )
and i just purchase this sanyo hd1000 today .. suport shiping will come on next 3 days.. then i will put it on test..

hope this one enoughp power to spin my tiny hdd

will post result soon as got this cam on hand ..

(will be very happy if any one can confirm the dock have provide power to usb with small votage as normal usb of computer ?? )

from http://www.xaluan.com vn news

binhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 7:56 AM   #18

Not sure I fullyunderstood your post but the HD1000's docking station will not power a hard drive. You will need to power it with a USB poweradapter.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 8:07 AM   #19

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
Not sure I fullyunderstood your post but the HD1000's docking station will not power a hard drive. You will need to power it with a USB poweradapter.
Rev.
Sorry my bad english..
and so sad to hear that docking not suport any power for usb..

i have came to ebay and look for usb hub with power external but not sure it will work via hub
this is my curently hdd: http://item.express.ebay.com/Compute...QtabnavZ1#tabs

and this is usb hub i going to order...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:IT&ih=013

Anyone have ideal for this pack, will be work with sanyo hd1000 docking station ?? :?

binhaus is offline   Reply With Quote