Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:30 PM   #1

Can anyone give me any advice on what they are doing? It takes almost 24 hours to convert 1 hour of recorded video at 720p to a DVD. I have a Quad-Core machine with 2 GB of RAM and the each processor is only running at maybe 30% which tells me Elements 3.0 doesn't understandhow to use multiple cores correctly.

Would it be better to convert the video to .avi using some sort of software then importing it into Elements. Or would it be better if someone could recommend other software that could do it better?

I would assume if I record all my video in non-HD mode on the 720p that when I covert it to DVD I would be loosing out on resolution as DVD resolution is 720x480 and the next resolution down on the camera is 640x480.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You
l8nighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:49 PM   #2

I don't know about Elements per se but I have tried Premiere and even importing the video file took soooo ridiculously long I just killed the programs processand uninstalled it. It was THAT bad. I use Vegas Pro 8 which carries a hefty price tag of $460 but it does the job better than anything else I've tried. They have a light version called Vegas Movie Studio 8 which has a large amount of the same features at only $115 or so but I didn't care for it. However, it may be enough for what you're doing.

Oh, andVegas does take full advantage of all four cores.... I have aQuad Core as well

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:05 PM   #3

I and many others have found Elements unworkably slow with the native files. And when I used Mp4Cam2AVI to put an avi wrapper on the files, I had sync problems. Currently, my no cost choice is to use Mp4Cam2AVI for the avi wrapper, then to edit and convert in the Vista versions of Movie Maker and DVD Maker (which can work with HD files). This is with ffdshow and Haali Media Splitter installed. So far, the results are pretty good.
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:49 AM   #4

I only shoot in hd-shq mode with the hd700. I found out it´s faster and a better video quality when you first export the file (use the original mp4 raw file straight from the cam) with elements 3.0 as mpeg (setting 720/30) instead of burning it directly on a dvd in elements.
After that you can burn such files relatively fast with the free software dvd-flick on a dvd.

*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:10 AM   #5

Folks,

I've found out that a new MemoriesOnTV v4.0.3 ( www.codejam.com ) can create the nice movies using natural MP4 files from my HD700 and works with reasonable speed.
The only problem - MOT doesn't have editing tools and I need to use something else for editing.
So far I didn't find the editing tool for MP4 H.264 which could work in the original format. May be you can recommend any...

FZKAP

FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:44 AM   #6

Man dvd-flick http://www.dvdflick.net/is awesome! It did in 1 hour what it took Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 over 9 hours to do! In the current release you cannot make any DVD menus, it just starts the movies when you put the DVD into your player. But the current beta version supports DVD menus and will be out shortly. I just can't explain how awesome this software is because for oneit's open source but the fact that its so fast! I am glad that I didn't spend hundres of dollars on Vegas because this software works great and I will probably give them some money as a donation
l8nighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:55 AM   #7

So how are you using it? To burn HD content to a standard DVD or are you converting HD content to SD quality DVD material?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:31 PM   #8
arp

l8nighter wrote:
Quote:
Man dvd-flick http://www.dvdflick.net/is awesome! It did in 1 hour what it took Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 over 9 hours to do! In the current release you cannot make any DVD menus, it just starts the movies when you put the DVD into your player. But the current beta version supports DVD menus and will be out shortly. I just can't explain how awesome this software is because for oneit's open source but the fact that its so fast! I am glad that I didn't spend hundres of dollars on Vegas because this software works great and I will probably give them some money as a donation
Are you sure this program can read MP4 H.264 files?

Thanks
arp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:35 PM   #9

*derxxsfilmer* wrote:
Quote:
I only shoot in hd-shq mode with the hd700. I found out it´s faster and a better video quality when you first export the file (use the original mp4 raw file straight from the cam) with elements 3.0 as mpeg (setting 720/30) instead of burning it directly on a dvd in elements.
After that you can burn such files relatively fast with the free software dvd-flick on a dvd.
A huge thank you to you for these suggestions. I couldn't and still can't get elements to work properly, but if I export it and then use dvd flick, it works perfectly and much faster. Even though I couldn't complete the job successfully in elements it was going to take 20 hours + with this procedure it took about 5 hours to export my project and an hour to burn the export mpeg to dvd.

Thanks again you've saved me alot of stress with trying to figure out wth elements problem was after I had invested a lot of time into editing all the footage from our trip to Cambodia into a 45 minute film.

Thank you thank you!!
Voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:05 AM   #10

Elements supplied with the camera is a waste of time!
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote