Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:15 AM   #11

lui-g wrote:
Quote:
The only reason being the convenience of shooting at 25p - which makes more sense in the UK.
Well, what are you getting the camera for? Is it for video that will be broadcast on European television or are you just using it for the usualpersonal use? And what will you be viewing the videos on? See, if you're not doing real broadcast work you have almost nothing to worry about so long as you have an LCD or plasma television. LCD screens will play whatever you throw at them be it 25p, 50p, 50i, 24p, 30p, 60i, you get the point. So if you're not intending to broadcast videos on European TV and you have an LCD or plasmaHDTV at home than the mode at which these camera shoot is irrelevant. Actually, I think (but am not 100% sure) that any form of HDTV should be able to handle the full range ofplayback modes. Maybe someone else can comment on this.

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:56 PM   #12

Hi rev,

after much thought, and having decided to go for the Canon since your comment, I've now come round to your way of thinking, and ordered the Sanyo this morning.

Thank you for your helpful insight.

I hope the HD1000 offers me everything I want (even though I myself don't know what that is) :-)
lui-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 3:31 PM   #13

lui-g wrote:
Quote:
Hi rev,

after much thought, and having decided to go for the Canon since your comment, I've now come round to your way of thinking, and ordered the Sanyo this morning.

Thank you for your helpful insight.

I hope the HD1000 offers me everything I want (even though I myself don't know what that is) :-)
No problem, glad to be of help! I've actually seen a number of videos from the HF100 recently and so far I personally don't find the video quality to be any different really than my HD1000. The video quality looks pretty much equivalent - at least from what I've looked at online.

I think you'll like the HD1000. I really love mine! Did you take my advice and order from somewhere you can return it if you're not satisfied? Like I said, when spending this much money it's always best to have the peace of mind that you can return it if it doesn't workout for you

Rev.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:13 PM   #14

Congrats lui-g! I hope you enjoy your HD1000.

Now that the weather has started getting warmer here, I've been using mine alot more.

Now that I'm getting into it more, it's time for me to go buy some editing software.

www.vimeo.com/stephman
Stephman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:47 AM   #15

Well, I pick up this old threat.

I have at the moment both cams and I have to admit, the footage quality of the HF100 blew my head of. I ordered the Canon, but never thought, that there would be such a huge difference. Actualy I wanted to try it, find out that it is not such a big difference and send it back. But there is now way, that I'm sending it back.

I always thought the HD1000 has a sharp and crisp footage, but compared to the Cannon it looks blurry and colorless. I couldn't believe how much difference there is in the pictures.
When I hold the 2 cams right next to each other and focus on the same thing you can see it best.
It's like reading the newspaper withouth glasses, that's how the HD1000 files looks compared to the Canon. Unbelivable!

The build in stabilizer is realy great on the Canon. I also like the build in lens protector and lots of other things.

There are a few things that I will miss. I liked the build in editing possibility on my Sanyo. The easier menu structure and the better akku. The Canon akku does not last as long as the Xacti.

But over all, I have to say, the Canon is the better buy. Even the files are easier to edited and reconized by editing software. I was never able to edit the the Xacti files in Pinnacle when I recorded it in high resolution. With the Canon files it is no problem at all.

The low light possibilities are realy great on with the Canon. Bottom line for me is, that I will sell my Xacti and keep the Canon.
mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:56 AM   #16

Good for you.
Having downloaded various samples of both cameras, I opted for the HD1000 - which I do not regret. The images look crisp & great to me. I'll be sure not to do a side-by-side with an HF100, and I'll remain happy.

Time passes and things move on - 3 months, and it's a different game in the SD Camcorder market.

Sanyo now has a tweaked model - the HD1010 with lower Megapixels, but improved image & slow-motion recording; Panasonic have revamped their range with the HDC-SD100 with 3 CMOS sensors; and Sony have finally announced their next model - the HDR-CX12.

Ask me next month, and it will be different again.

Meanwhile - I love my Sanyo HD1000 - great stills, great footage, simple to use, compact, comfortable shape to hold, great features, and drag-and-drop editing on the Mac - no need to convert files (though I tend to shoot at 720p60) - that last one is priceless.
lui-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:05 AM   #17

Mosplace:
There is a bigger akku (battery), the BP819, available for the HF100. It has exactly twice the capacity, 3 hours continuous. I also bought the Canon charger, which works well enough, charging the batteries just a little bit faster than the camera empties them:-) Two batteries can thus allow me to handle a very long session.

I removed the hand-strap from my HF100 and also liberally covered it with black Gaffers' tape (cloth adhesive tape used in the theater industry) (don't cover the panels on the top of the camera which get hot during use). Not only does this make the camera feel more comfortable when I am holding it at waist or chest level (as one does with a Sanyo) but also makes the camera look even smaller and less obtrusive to the casual observer.

One final thing - I bought an 81C (KR-3) filter from B+W in Germany (via Adorama Camera in NY). It does an amazing job of brightening up the color on out-of-doors shots, and also improves footage taken under Fluorescent lighting.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:41 AM   #18

mosplace wrote:
Quote:
I always thought the HD1000 has a sharp and crisp footage, but compared to the Cannon it looks blurry and colorless.
That's strange to hear. I've downloaded full 1920x1080 clips of the HF100 and put it into my PS3 to compare with my HD1000 footage and it did not look significantly better. Actually, I thought the Canon footage looked a bit soft just like the way my Canon A40's (digital camera) photos looked. I always loved the pictures I got as they had nice color saturation and correct exposure but they always did look a little soft.

I guess I would really have to film the same object with both cameras to really be able to compare. Eh, anyway... I'm quite happy with my HD1000 regardless.

Rev.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:47 AM   #19

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
I bought an 81C (KR-3) filter from B+W in Germany (via Adorama Camera in NY). It does an amazing job of brightening up the color on out-of-doors shots, and also improves footage taken under Fluorescent lighting.
Trev, come on man... share some of your vids with us!! :-) I would really love to see some of your footage. Especially some with and without the filter if you have.

Rev.

Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:59 AM   #20

Here is a clip I did with the HF100 but it is of course not in the original size. It is only rendered with 6mbps and the Canon records with 17mbps.

http://www.vimeo.com/1192905 Pictures taken out of clip are also on this side.

Here is another clip of the moon. I used the Canon zoom function.

http://www.vimeo.com/1185551

I took some footage, with exactly the same settings. Both cams set to Full HD and everything to auto. Now I have to find out a way to load them somewhere up.

But I took 2 pictures out of the footage. There you can see, how much more details and sharpness is on the Canon Pictures. Even the angle is a little bigger on the Canon.

Canon HF100

Sanyo HD1000

mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote