Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:45 PM   #21

Actually, I think most of what you're seeing is a psycho-visual effect. The slightly brighter image with more saturated colors naturally tends to appeal to the mind. Now, outside of the out of focus flowers close by, which does look a lot worse for the HD1000 (and I don't know why they're not in focus), if you really examine the image you will see more detail in the HD1000 frame grab. Look at the top of the house on both pictures, it's more clearly defined in the HD1000. Also, look at the detail in the chairs on the balcony, they're also more defined in the HD1000. You can also look at the blinds in the bottom windows and see more detail in the HD1000. You can even see some brick detail in the HD1000 grab while there is none on the HF100 grab. If you look close, the HF100 grab looks blocky,like what you get when a sharpening filter was used.

Now, I have to point out this is still not a fair test. The HD1000 shot looks zoomed in. That could be why there appears to be more detail in areas than the HF100 frame grab. I don't know why they are not getting the samearea of picturebeing they're both F1.8 lens, but I'm not an experienced photographer so I'll leave someone else to explain possibly why this is. I will also say, to be honest I really think the color in the HD1000grab looks more realistic. The Canon's grab looks oversaturated. The focus thing here is the big difference... why are the flowers out of focus on the HD1000 grab?? I think the only real way totest is to see video of the same scenery or objects with both cameras. Frame grabs of interlaced footage are really hit and miss. Interlacing doesn't frame grab well, and while one frame grab might look horrible the next frame grab one second later might appear a lot better.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:40 PM   #22

No, I did not zoom in. The angle of the HF100 is wider, don't ask me why. I fist thought too, that I had maybe zoomed in, and checked it. But both cams where on the wides setting.

I took the snapshot out of the footage, cause that was the same setting in the video mode. If I took the pictures in the photomode I don'T think I can get the same conditions for both of them. I think there are different sizes. I'll check that tomorow.

If I take a picture with the Xacti I get a different angle, than I see in my video screen. The Canon stays the same, when I take a picture. The view does not change.

Gough, hope you understand what I mean.

mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:17 PM   #23

Mos, I know you didn't have the Xacti zoomed in. I just said that it "looks" that way. I was justdescribing the difference in thepicture.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:06 PM   #24

Nice trick, thanks mosplace!

Though i was really surprised to see such an overcooked picture from HF100. It's obviously oversaturated and oversharped - too much postprocessing, which leads to loss of both color and contrast detail. Maybe there were some artificial settings applied, like "vivid colors" or something.

It would need more control of the shooting settings to make more comparable results for the picture quality (i guess HF100 should be better, but it's not in this example). Firstly, there should be equal field of view.

I've made an animated gif, "HD1000+" is an example of the easy way to make natural picture look more vivid, if it's needed.

Attached Images

GMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote