Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:44 PM   #1

Camcorderinfo.com has their Canon HF10/HF100 review up.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...view-34711.htm

I'm up in the air about which cam to get.

Is the quality of video better on the HF10 over the HD1000?

Is the HF10 worth $200 more than the cost of the HD1000?

Canon's HF10 is alittle bigger than Sanyo's HD1000, is the slight size increase an ok trade off?

I know most of these questions will be personal preference, but I'm curious on your thoughts. Especially from some of you who have been in the camcorder game longer than I have with more experience.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this topic.
Stephman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2008, 5:30 PM   #2

Initially before I bought my HD1000 I was thinking of holding out and waiting for the HF100 being I like Canon's stuff and it does 17mbps bitrate. I scrutinized both specs and one thing that put me off a bit was the smaller CMOS in the Canon. I was thinking the smaller CMOS probably won'tdo as good in low light. I know for a fact my previous Canon DV cam didn't do well in low light.I decided I would buy the HD1000 and return it within the allotted time should I turn out to not be happy with it. As it's pretty clear I kept it.

There's no way yet to really say just how much better the Canon's video is without trying it yourself under your own test conditions. Being the camera still is not out yet it's not possible to yet do so. I will say though that there are more things to making your choice. For example, one thing that won me over with the HD1000 is the fact that it allows you to hook up an external hard drive and dump your recordings to it thereby freeing up your card for recording again. Think about it... you only really need one SDHC card and a small portable hard drive - and they come really tiny these days. Mine is small, light, and 80gigs in size.One cool thing I found is the HD1000 creates new folders everytime you dump so you don't ever have to worry about overwriting files which I had originally wondered about with the HD1000's numbering scheme. So, instead of buying multiple 16gig SDHC card you just get one and a drive which is quite inexpensive.The other great thing is it's uber-small size and weight. The Canon, while small, is still not as small and unobtrusive.

Another thing that I liked about the HD1000 was higher resolution still images in 1920x1080. I am now doing all my pictures in that mode for viewing on our 52" LCD HDTV and it's sweet. The HD1000 does 3.5mp and the Canon only 2.1mp. Also, the HD1000 has that awesome 720 60p mode. Oh, and the HD1000 has the industry standard mounting shoe.

Now, the Canon on the other hand has the higher bitrate (as already mentioned), 30 frames progressive!!!, and a 24p mode. Add to that a feature I know for sure I could use... an audio gain meter and adjustable gain for the built in mic! I know the HD1000 lets you adjust the gain with an add on mic which is great but there's still no level meter. I once recorded my band with my old Canon to find the audio totally overdistorted so this is a welcome feature.

So, there are many factors involved. I think the video quality would have to be ahuge amount better to make me even consider switching. You have to choose depending on what features are most important to you. If word on the video qualityis great on the new HF100 I may just pick one up to try out. If I don't like it I'll return it for a refund. If I love it I'd sell off my HD1000.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 9:42 AM   #3

Rev

Your thoughts on this are much appreciated.

I did purchase the HD1000 a couple of weeks ago and have used it a few times. Once I started reading more on the Canon HF100, I put my HD1000 back in the box to keep it "clean" in case I want to return it for the Canon. I have until 4/08/08 to decide. I've only taken a few clips so far, nothing spectacular subject wise.

Mostly, I think I get that "new and improved" feeling sometimes with tech which always has me looking to the horizen. When the fact is, the HD1000 is the perfect size to take with me wherever I go easily. Especially for my trip to ARUBA this Sept!

I'll just keep the HD1000 for now and start using it more. It's hard to beat that size/portability/video quality ratio.

Thanks again for your thoughts

Like I said, nothing spectacular, but here are a couple clips I've rec'd so far. I hope to have better clips soon and some tripod use.

http://www.vimeo.com/user381700/videos
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:49 AM   #4

Rev,

by the way, which portable hard drive are you using with your HD1000?

I'm shopping online right now trying to figure out which SDHC card I want to get and with port. hard drive.

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:34 AM   #5

This is the SDHC card I'm using:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211245

And this is the hard drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...emorex%2bultra

The hard drive comes with a USB power cable. You will need a USB power adapter such as this one to power the drive:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...&sku=22328

I can verify that all this works perfectly fine with my HD1000.

Rev.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:00 AM   #6
arp

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
...For example, one thing that won me over with the HD1000 is the fact that it allows you to hook up an external hard drive and dump your recordings to it thereby freeing up your card for recording again. Think about it... you only really need one SDHC card and a small portable hard drive - and they come really tiny these days. Mine is small, light, and 80gigs in size.One cool thing I found is the HD1000 creates new folders everytime you dump so you don't ever have to worry about overwriting files which I had originally wondered about with the HD1000's numbering scheme. So, instead of buying multiple 16gig SDHC card you just get one and a drive which is quite inexpensive.The other great thing is it's uber-small size and weight. The Canon, while small, is still not as small and unobtrusive.
Hi, but you must cary with you the dock stationto plug HDD to Xacti, right?

Thanks
arp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:14 AM   #7

hi,

I'm having the same dilemma.

The Canon HF10/HF100 should be out in a couple of weeks here in the UK (April 2000).
For the UK market, the Canon will actually only shoot 1080 25p (not 30p).

I think I'll end up converting everything I shoot to 720, as that's what my TV & projector natively support.

This will be my first camcorder, although I've been doing photography for a long time.

My main worry is that if I get the cheaper Sanyo, I may always wonder how much better the Canon could be, whereas if I get the Canon, I may always wonder what 720 60p would be like....

The sample footage I've seen of the HD1000 looks generally geat (when on a tripod) - but you can stabilize video on a computer afterwards, at the sacrifice of a few pixels.

The Sanyo is curently cheaper (by about 30%), and is available now...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
lui-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:41 AM   #8

arp wrote:
Quote:
Rev2010 wrote:
"Hi, but you must cary with you the dock stationto plug HDD to Xacti, right?
...Yep, and maybe something else interesting for you, data can be written on an usb hd without an external monitor. Beautiful thing if you are on travel.
See the picture. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2343143076/
*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 2:31 PM   #9

lui-g wrote:
Quote:
My main worry is that if I get the cheaper Sanyo, I may always wonder how much better the Canon could be
You shouldn't think like that. Yes, the Canon costs more and has some additionalgreat features that the Sanyo doesn't. But, as we all know the Sanyo has some great additional features the Canon doesn't. Price doesn't exactlymake something better,it's really more about what you need the most.I've seen some frame grabs of the Canon and to be honest so far they reallydon't look any better than the frame grabs I see with my HD1000. The Canon uses AVCHD rather than the Sanyo's variant of AVC H.264. I don't know how effecient AVCHD is compared to what the Sanyo uses but it's one of the factors that mayoffset strict number specs (ie. the Canon's higher bitrate of 17mbps). Add to that the smaller CMOS sensor of the Canon.

So don't go thinking about how much better the Canon could've been...look at the benefits/tradeoffs and prices of each andbalance it all out. And what I always recommend to everyone is to purchase from a store that lets you return for a refund. The store I use allows me to return for refund within 15 days. If you're not happy with the first choice return it and pickup the other model.

Rev.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:02 AM   #10

Hi,
Thanks for your insight rev.

after a lenghty discussion with a video guru friend of mine, I've decided to go for the Canon. The only reason being the convenience of shooting at 25p - which makes more sense in the UK.

If Sanyo had a 1080 25p or 720 50p model, then it would be a clear winner.

It's a shame that we still have these differing standards between countries, but in this case, they helped me make a decision.

Now I just need to forget some of the cool features that the Sanyo has, and wait for the HF100 to actually be available to buy.

By the way,here in the UK, prices often seem much higher that the US equivalent.
The only way to get them to a closer match is to buy online, which negates the easy return policy which you can get from a local store. For example, the HD1000 is available for £400 online, but local sotres sell it for £500 - that's us$200 more, for the priviledge of being able to take it back...
lui-g is offline   Reply With Quote