Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:08 PM   #1

I noteced recently that m VPC-C1 only records 320x240 video, though it is set to record TVHQ. Has anyone any ideas what could be wrong.

I forund some germanfirmware update s613n081.bin, that I put on, but that didn't help.
joergenaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:47 AM   #2

Very strange,TV-HQ and TV-SHQ modes should be 640x480. Can't see how it could be otherwise. Perhaps the problem could be withyour playback software on your PC?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip. I connected it to my TV set and it looked fine. But when I play the video files both in VLC player and QuickTime it is 320x240, and even the clip info says so. It looks kind of bad too.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:50 AM   #4

Very strange, and you tried all recording modes? Does changing modes from TV-SHQ toWeb-S change anything? Really sounds like you're using TV-S or maybe even Web-HQ mode. Never heard of this problem, it would have to be a software/firmware problem, but still it really doesn't make sense to me. Sorry.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:41 PM   #5

Thanks anyway. But I hope and believe it might be some codec confusion, because of the several video format converters I have installed, lstest Super C, which is a free and super converter actually. I might thry and deinstall some of them.

BTW: I have upleoaded a short test clip. Maybe someone could check it:

http://7d.dk/download/Sanyo_Xacti_VP...be_320x240.MP4

When I run the link in the QTR that starts I get 320x240. Maybe try to download it and check it, thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:42 PM   #6

joergenaj wrote:
Quote:
[...]BTW: I have upleoaded a short test clip. Maybe someone could check it:[...]
I downloaded it and played it, and it's 640x480 video, I played it using media player classic using theHaali MP4 media splitterand ffdshow tryouts codecs and it auto detected that the video was640x480 in resolution. But I did find something interesting: the C1's MP4 header looks like it's notproperly writtenand leads some software think it's 320x240 video. But, I tried using software that sees the wrong resolution, like VLC, and if I view in fullscreen or even double size, then I see the full resolution ok. I guess it's because the C1 is old now and since the MP4 file format was so new at the time, it didn't getthe headerquite right, they probably just hard coded some header entries.

Edit: yeah,if you edit the size in the mp4v header video size entry (offset 0x01B9 in your sample file) from "01 40 00 F0" (320x240) to "02 80 01 E0" (640x480),then all software shoulddisplay the correctvideo size. It is simply that the C1 doesn't write the correct size in the MP4 file header although the actual video data is 640x480.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 4:03 AM   #7

Well thanks. That was good news of the day - and very interesting. How do I edit the header of the file, in Notepad? I am trying to sell the C1 to get a new model, can't barely get 100 CAD bugs (462 danish kroner)for it, it seems. :roll:

The new Xacti GC65 even use the same battery, and it should be the best low light compact ever. I like to mention that I own a Casio Exlilim EX-Z8, that I chose for its uniqe ultra compact low light video capabilities, 848x480 format with good audio, compared to others on the marked. It just doesn't have a very clear picture. Just think that the GC65 will be more bulky, though better in every way.

I am a web developer and singer. I snap shoot mostly other muscisians, singersand karaoke singers and party things as video. I find that even when printingselected frames on paper it is OK for that kind of happenings.

Have a look atmy karaoke album and see the quality if you like and tell me if you think the quality is OK. But I like to warn, it's karaoke, though some are good performances (Link to be copied to address field of the browser):
qm7.dk/JoergenArvid/default.asp?ShowSub=Karaoke%20-%20Festlige%20indslag%20-%20Århus%20-%20København%20-&ShowTheme=&Page=1

Clips from 2008.01.19 on is taken with the Exilim EX-Z8.
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digital...137848p,00.htm

JørgenArvid