Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 30, 2008, 1:19 AM   #21

I noticed it's now available on amazon.com for $279. I also was considering the CG65 as a replacement for my C40 but this looks like a much better price. However I'll wait for some reviews this time. I jumped at the HD700 and ended up not being 100% happy with it. I hope this doesn't have the same low light issues as the HD700 although with a 9.1MP CMOS sensor I kind of expect it will do. While I would like a HD camcorder, I will consider a better standard camcorder if the rest of the package is good. I particularly like the h264 codec as it seems to give a nicer image than regular mpeg4.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:24 AM   #22

Is everybody tired of this problem. Let's say you want to shut the LCD screen of the Xacti CG6 or possibley the CG9camcorder so it is easier to hold, instead of the screen sticking out all the time, I mean sometimes you want to be able to handle it easy and point and shoot. Woops! It shuts off when close the LCD screen, that really sucks. There is an easy solution I figured out makes that problem go away. First, I do not want to reinvent the wheel, so I would like to have people tell me what they would do or are doing to solve this moumental dilemma. If I do not see my solution, I will post it. I just do not want to post it and have someone say, " Hey, I knew that already! " I'll give this a day or two for people to post.
StarNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 3:29 PM   #23

Haven't been here for awhile and surprised at some of the comments,......this has always been such a civil and friendly bunch. Oh well,...

The CG9 looks like a dandy to me. I have the CG65 and it's the easiest camera I have for video with high quality clips and great sound to go with them. If the CG9 is the same, it has to be a winner.

I also have a Canon TX1 which I love. It also has great sound and HD videos that I find awesome. The 10X zoom and optical IS are of the highest quality. However, it is fidgety to operate with the tiny 1.8 inch LCD and boxy configuration.

If the TX1 handled like the CG65, it would be the perfect hybrid, in my opinion.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 3:38 PM   #24

StarNomad wrote:
Quote:
Is everybody tired of this problem. Let's say you want to shut the LCD screen of the Xacti CG6 or possibley the CG9camcorder so it is easier to hold, instead of the screen sticking out all the time, I mean sometimes you want to be able to handle it easy and point and shoot. Woops! It shuts off when close the LCD screen, that really sucks. There is an easy solution I figured out makes that problem go away. First, I do not want to reinvent the wheel, so I would like to have people tell me what they would do or are doing to solve this moumental dilemma. If I do not see my solution, I will post it. I just do not want to post it and have someone say, " Hey, I knew that already! " I'll give this a day or two for people to post.
StarNomad,

I, for one, am anxious to hear how you manage to operate the CG65 with the screen closed,......mainly, how do you know you are framing the subject without a viewfinder.

I use my CG65 on bird hunting trips, in my shirt pocket with a lanyard around my neck. Sometimes I drop it to raise my shot gun. It doesn't get damaged but the screen invariably gets shifted. If I pick it up to video the retreive (when I occasionally connect!) I have to fiddle around adjusting it. I taped a piece of a straw to the top of the camera as sort of a peep sight, but that didn't work,....besides, the screen still had to be open.

Anxious to hear your uses and your solution.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:44 PM   #25

Ok, here it is. Go to one of those 99¢ stores and buy a utility knife, the kind with the snap off razor blades, because it is flat & made out of steel. Snap one off from one of the big ones. Lift up the LCD screen and attach it to the internal magnet below and to the right of the LCD hinge, it should stick to the camcorder because there is a magnet there, then shut it and it will not go off. It uses a Hall effect circuit to turn the camcorder off then back on when you raise the LCD screen.
StarNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:42 AM   #26

I also have the CG65 and it great to use indoor and out.

I do wish the lens was better with the 65. The lens flair and the vary high F at 5x zoom is a problem sometimes.

Has anyone posted any video yet?

It would have been nice if they would have improved the super weak red eye giving flash by moving it away from the lens to the bottm of the body.

Adding drive mode will be a huge improvment for outdoor shots.

So with a better lens and drive mode it might be worth upgrading.

How's the lens flair?
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:24 PM   #27

THE "WATERPROOF CG9" JUST COME AROUND !!!
(May 08 in Japan)

His name is VPC-CA8 !

I just really regret that this brand new second WATERPROOF model DON'T HAVE A LEAST A 16:9 VIDEO MODE :sad:

Sure the 60 fps is interesting for slow motion, but...
still max. 640/480 video.

it's ONLY possible to make 16:9 in photo mode ( 3264 x 1840 in 6 Mégapixels)
but NOT IN VIDEO...
and no 720p (as many people expected)

more details and comparison here :

http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/sample.html
http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/sample.html#CA8

anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:50 AM   #28

StarNomad wrote:
Quote:
You can operate the CG65 with the screen reversed, but in the closed position. That leaves the screen vulnerable, and the image in an awkward position, but it does work.

StarNomad's razor blade solution is a very creative alternative.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:32 PM   #29

Find it on sale, is it called VPC-E2 in north america?
$400 for a waterproof video camera, it's a decent price.

anjoy wrote:
Quote:
THE "WATERPROOF CG9" JUST COME AROUND !!!
(May 08 in Japan)

His name is VPC-CA8 !

I just really regret that this brand new second WATERPROOF model DON'T HAVE A LEAST A 16:9 VIDEO MODE :sad:

Sure the 60 fps is interesting for slow motion, but...
still max. 640/480 video.

it's ONLY possible to make 16:9 in photo mode ( 3264 x 1840 in 6 Mégapixels)
but NOT IN VIDEO...
and no 720p (as many people expected)

more details and comparison here :

http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/sample.html
http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/sample.html#CA8

Joseph_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:20 AM   #30

Hi. I'm new here.
Please could someone help me.
I bought a new Sanyo CG9 in my last trip to Japan.

I found in the web the manual in English, but when I try to change the language, I don't have options like the manual show. The unique option is japanese.

Do you know how I can set the language to English? Maybe a firmware?

Thanks a lot,
Cristiano.
cocbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote