Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:48 PM   #1

I'm interested in the Xacti HD1000 but have a few questions regarding its Xacti Library feature.

1. Does using the Xacti Library feature require a new or completely empty hard drive?
2. Can I back up to the hard drive as well as view what I've backed up onto the hard drive without a TV? In other words can I back up onto a hard drive just through the HD1000's screen and after I back up the videos from the HD1000 onto a hard drive, later on can I view those videos on the hard drive through the HD1000's screen?
3. How does connecting a hard drive to the dock to back up work? I understand that the hard drive has to have an external power source so does that mean that I can't use those portable hard drives that only have one USB cord for connecting to a computer or in this case the HD1000's dock?
4. And finally can I connect the HD1000 to a standard definition TV to view photos or videos I have on the camera or a hard drive connected to the camera?

Any help would be really appreciated. By the way this is my first post so sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place or way.

stephenbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:31 PM   #2

files name will be called assetsm they can be on a new or used drive and no tv required a usb HD that has power hi def tv or a black andwhite as long as you have rca plugs with video input

stephenbenedict wrote:
Quote:
I'm interested in the Xacti HD1000 but have a few questions regarding its Xacti Library feature.

1. Does using the Xacti Library feature require a new or completely empty hard drive?
2. Can I back up to the hard drive as well as view what I've backed up onto the hard drive without a TV? In other words can I back up onto a hard drive just through the HD1000's screen and after I back up the videos from the HD1000 onto a hard drive, later on can I view those videos on the hard drive through the HD1000's screen?
3. How does connecting a hard drive to the dock to back up work? I understand that the hard drive has to have an external power source so does that mean that I can't use those portable hard drives that only have one USB cord for connecting to a computer or in this case the HD1000's dock?
4. And finally can I connect the HD1000 to a standard definition TV to view photos or videos I have on the camera or a hard drive connected to the camera?

Any help would be really appreciated. By the way this is my first post so sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place or way.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:46 PM   #3

1. The hard drive does not have to be empty. The HD1000 will create it's own folder and subfolders for subsequent dumps. Everytime you dump to a hard drive, if there are already folders there, it will create a new folder with a new "Roll" name. So let's say you dump one day then dump another day it will create a Roll2 folder. So, you never have to worry about it overwriting existing files.

2. Yes, you can still view the hard drive storedclips on the HD1000's screen. There's no need to connecta TV.

3. Yes, the hard drive needs it's own power. Most portable drives come with two cables - the standard USB connection and one for powering off the USB bus. My Memorex drive did. When you get one that includes this cable all you need is this small power adapter:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...&sku=22328

This will allow you to connect the standard USB end into the power supply and provide power to the drive. I bought this drive which is really small and light and includes that extra power cable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...emorex%2bultra

I use a standard Blackberrytravel charger which is basically the same as the adapter in the link I included above. Believe it or not it's extremely easy to include the docking station for the HD1000, the hard drive, and the power adapter when traveling. It barely takes up anyspace in the suitcase.

4. Yes.

Hope this helped.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:25 PM   #4

Thanks so much for all your help! I really appreciate it and maybe I'll get the Xacti HD1000 now that I know that it will work for me. Thanks again for helping me out.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:29 AM   #5

you get a xacti or other company still thesame scenerio

you'll have not one folder but about 5 folders become a pain just find a way to edit them
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:45 AM   #6

Great tips!

I was going to ask the same question about the portable HDD! I have an ipod plug with USB port in it so i guess i can just use that to power the hard drive while im on holiday!
craigyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:58 AM   #7

craigyc wrote:
Quote:
Great tips!

I was going to ask the same question about the portable HDD! I have an ipod plug with USB port in it so i guess i can just use that to power the hard drive while im on holiday!
Yep, you can just use that adapter.

Rev.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:46 AM   #8

Hi Rev, so you mean that even if the external USB HDD drive has only one USB input (and not a separate AC input), it is still possible to use it with Xacti Library, by using a special USB cable with 2 inputs (one for AC and another for standard USB from Xacti) and 1 USB output (to the HDD)?

Thanks,

GG32.
greekguy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:36 PM   #9

No. The hard drive has to have an AC connection as well. Most do and include a cable to go from standard USB to the connection on the hard drive.

Rev.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:58 AM   #10

I have two more questions.

1. Can the Xacti Library feature be used with a partitioned hard drive?
2. It seems like I read some where that that the hard drive has to be formatted in a certain way. How does that work?