Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:26 PM   #1

I just purchased a Sanyo HD1000, and I took it skiing for a week for its first real test. Overall I was very pleased, although it had a little trouble with focus on some of the faster shots on a flat-lighting day (understandable). Anyway now I'm home and editing the footage. I had an old version of Adobe Premeire Pro before I bought the camera, but now I need the HD capability. So I did some research, and ended up getting Premeire Elements 4 since I'm already familiar with the Adobe interface. It worked fine to start, but now it is crashing on me every time I try to do something (render, add files, etc). I've been on Adobe's website and tried every solution they have (updating drivers, running w/out programs in background, new accounts, re-installing, etc), but to no avail. However, now I'm thinking it may be the videos: after reading many reviews on the HD1000, I shot all videos in 720p at 60fps. Yet my software only supports 30fps. Not sure if this would even cause a problem, but right now it's the only thing I can come up with. Anyone else had similar problems? Or any good advice on how to fix it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
mordy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:01 PM   #2

I'm truly sorry that I can't offer help but I will say I've been editing perfectly fine with Sony Vegas Pro 8 which works better than anything else I've tried. And yep, I've done 720 60p editing with it as well. Actually, I haven't had any problems at all with it. I too came from a Premiere background so at one point I decided to give the latest version of Premiere a try and just to import the files it was taking infinitely long so I just uninstalled it and happily kept with Vegas. Others here have mentioned problems trying to work with mp4's in Premiere and Premiere Elements.

Amazon hasVegas Pro 8for $350 currently. There's also a light version called Vegas Movie Studio Pro 8 for $86.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:48 PM   #3

Hey, I have been looking for a few ways to edit video.. Ive used premiere in the past but never elements so i looked at this. The 1st thing i noticed was on amazon it has terrible reviews claiming it crashes on them all the time so it looks like yours is not an isolated incident!

Maybe best to wait for updates to it or something?!

The latest Cyberlink Power Director has some really kool effects and features aswell but is not as advanced as some people may like.
craigyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:49 AM   #4

Well I've tried a few more tricks with Premiere with no success, so I decided to download the trail for Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum. And of course it works completely flawlessly. I was surprised that it was a full function demo (no watermarks or limitied features), so I've actually completed a couple projects with the trial. Not only has it worked smoothly and with no hangups or crashes, it also works much much faster than PE4. So I think I may just regard Elements as a sunk cost and purchase the Sony software after my trial is up. It's not perfect, but its a heck of a lot better than Premiere for my computer.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:37 AM   #5

Glad you found a program that works for you!

I have been using elements and so far it hasnt crashed once on me so im suprised! The only problem is that the preview is not running smoothly, because of my systme spec most likely and editting the .mp4 files needs alot of processing power.

I am wondering what the best format is to convert into for smooth editting but losing little to no quality!?

The smoothness of the preview is not that important for making small movies but ive got a few bigger projects coming up that id like to be able to preview smoothly.

Thanks for any info
craigyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:46 PM   #6

I never took the time to mess with converting to any other formats, so I'm not sure if one will offer a smoohter playback than another. My previews usually started smoothly after a render, but usually it wouldn't last more than about 30 sec, then a few hiccups would come up. It may just be the size of the files, or it could be the speed of the machine (or lack thereof). Vegas doesn't have perfectly smooth preview playback either, but then again I've never rendered anything before the final render (unlike Premiere).
Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:43 PM   #7

While searching for a program to edit the HD1000's MP4 files, I learned how to edit video clips "in the camera." Yes, it works, but I want software to help me edit the H.264 files. I downloaded a few freebies and some trialware that claim to work, but didn't. I know Sony's Vegas 8 works but it's expensive.

I gave my son Aiptek's GO-HD camcorder which also records H.264 720p video and saves it in an .mov carrier. MOV is the extension for Apple's QuickTime. I didn't upgrade to QuickTime PRO ($29) because I read it didn't work correctly editing AVC H.264 video.

Instead, I visited http://www.aiptek.com, click SUPPORT, click FAQs, select FAQ for GO-HD / A-HD camcorders. Scroll down to "ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme," available for $2.99 plus shipping. Well, this is a give-away program which is dumbed down by ArcSoft. But, it will edit HD video from the Sanyo HD1000. At least, it will edit the 720p version of HD1000 video clips--that's what I shot--and save them in H.264 720p format in an MP4 carrier.

Of course, ArcSoft's strategy is to get you to buy the full-blown version of TotalMedia Extreme for $119. Read about that at ArcSoft's website. This paid version can create Blu-Ray DVDs if you have a Blu-Ray burner (in the future). This version is available in a trial version, too, so you can compare the full-featured offerings with the $2.99 stripped down version.

The $2.99 version will let you dump multiple edited HD1000 clips into it's movie maker module and burn all to a DVD with a menu system. The KEY for installing this version is at the bottom of the SUPPORT page... the one I got with the CD didn't work; the one provided on the support page works fine.

I use another slide show program (Memories on TV by http://www.codejam.com) to create a mix of still photos and videos which I burn to DVD at 720x1280 and display on a wide-screen HDTV.

For the time being, I can incorporate my HD video into my slide shows for very little cost.

Jerry S
http://www.worldworrywarts.com

S-Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:14 PM   #8

Mordy07,
By now, you have probably found this but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g29PhkC2_PQ on You Tube shows a basic editing soluion for your Sanyo HD 1000 video. It works fine with my HD 1000. Hashbrown
Hashbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:15 AM   #9

Nero Ultimate Edition 7 onwards has Nero Vision which can edit H.264 videos.

It also has ability to create Blu-ray Standard AVCHD discs on Blu-ray Disc and more importantly on standard DVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

HD1000Ken is offline   Reply With Quote