Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:35 PM   #11

By the way, having posted the above I went and took a closerlook at the TG1's specs and while it does 4mp photo'sI think that'sprobably interpolated. It looks more like the true resolution is just over 2mp, unless I'm misinterpreting the specs. But if that is correct then I retract my statement about it's low light performance since that would mean it's very close to the physical dimensions of sensor space the Sanyo usesfor 1920x1080.Though my math could be off - just guessing actually.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:35 PM   #12

Two factors lead to the poor low-light performance of high-resolution CCDs (and CMOS). Firstly, more 'wiring' is necessary to handle the greater number of pixels, and this often takes up chip surface area. Second, it is easier to distinguish the higher-level signals from the circuit/device noise if each pixel sensor is larger.

Sony say they have repositioned their Analog-Digital converter circuits to reduce noise in their new Exmor sensors, but it seemed to me that the noise was still pretty high. As one would in fact expect from the smaller sensor.

But the smaller sensor allows a smaller lens to achieve f1.8 - so there is a cascade of design compromises in these tiny cameras.

I will go take another look at the HDR-SD10, with the 1/5 inch Exmor sensor, when my HD1000 arrives (hopefully tomorrow).

I will also compare the HD1000 to my HV20s in 24p. Just so we have a point of reference...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:17 PM   #13

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
I will also compare the HD1000 to my HV20s in 24p. Just so we have a point of reference...
You shouldn't compare to an HV20 in 24p mode. Even though it's not true 24p I've read onanother site thatthe 24 frame mode yields better low light performance in that mode. Pretty obvious being the frames get exposed to light for a longer time. You should probably compare in 30 frames interlaced.

Rev.

Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:32 PM   #14

Rev,
I own two HV20's and I have edited hours and hours of 24p video from them. This mode is so brilliant because Canon allows you to set the shutter speed to 1/60, 1/48, 1/24, 1/12 or even 1/6 and fully progressive frames are encoded into the HDV output stream. I pulldown the 24p out of the 1080i and then edit with the true progressive footage.

Being able to select 1/48 or 1/24 shutters in 24p means that the judicious use of neutral-density filters allows me to get perfectly natural-looking motion blur. There is nothing else that comes close. Except the Sanyo Xactis, of course. Which are stuck at 30p for some reason which I don't really understand.:? And which put out two identical 15p images side-by-side on successive 30p frames when the "high sensitivity" mode kicks in. At least, that's how the HD700 does it. I am keen to examine how the HD1000 handles the slower shutter speeds:?

Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:19 PM   #15

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
And which put out two identical 15p images side-by-side on successive 30p frames when the "high sensitivity" mode kicks in. At least, that's how the HD700 does it.
The HD1000seems to dothis as well. I tried the high sensitivity once and immediately discontinued using it. It too made the motion all choppy with a 15fps look. Instead, under low light conditionsI now justincrease the exposure value using a shortcut assigned to the joystick. It works sooo much better than the high sensitivity mode which dramatically slows the shutter speed. :-)

Rev.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:45 AM   #16

I took my new HD1000 down to BestBuy tonight and compared the Sony HDR-SR10, which has the 1/5 inch CMOS sensor that is to be used in the TG1. Noise is higher than with either the HD700 or HD1000.

Interesting that the 1/3.15 inch Sony CMOS sensor in their HDR-SR11 had much lower noise, lower than the HD700, and subjectively only a little noisier than the HD1000. Truth is, at the low light levels which will exercise these sensors it is tough to find dark enough objects at the average HiFi store these days...:sad:

Conclusion - IMO the Sony HDR-TG1 will be too noisy for me to consider it a worthwhile contender to the Xacti range. Sure, the HD700 was an aberrant low-sensitivity model, but variants of the C6 have spoilt Sanyo users, and forced Sanyo to use a large sensor, and lens, in their first really good HD offering (IMO), the HD1000.

I also tested the HD1000 against my HV20 in 24p. At a similar shutter speed (1/24 or 1/30) the HV20 is better in color saturation and low-level linearity, but only by an f stop, or maybe two...