Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:59 AM   #1

Anybody heard any rumours about a new hd model, ie hd1000xs.

12x is lense, focus and exposure lock, 9megapixel cmos sensor, raw still format and 60fps shooting n full hd. If only:-)
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:58 PM   #2

Haha :-), had me going there! When was the HD1000 offcially released? Camcorders are on a 6-9 month cycle right
rdesouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:02 PM   #3

Amazon has it as being first listed by them on August 30, 2007. Even though I bought my HD1000 fairly recently I'd still be very excited to see a new model. For one, to capture at full HD 60fps would be amazing. Even a 30p would be an improvement (we really need to do away with interlaced). On top of that a higher bitrate would rock. I don't really think we'll get OIS in such a small cam but if it's possible that too would be awesome. I'd only jump to a new model right away if it had a higher bitrate and a full HD progressive mode while not having a drawback comparedto the current cam... like having a smaller CMOS for example.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 6:19 AM   #4

I have a Canon tx1 which to be fair in good light is on a par in the high-def stakes with the hd2, which I also have. The 10x lense on the canon is Optically stabilised and the camera is smaller than the HD2, so it can be done. Unfortunately both the hd2 and the canon must share the same 7mp chip as they both suffer with purple streaking in very bright light, in fact this is the major downfall of the tx1, stills are pretty impressive, different league to the sanyo hd2, plus it has exposure lock, wow is that good, but thenagain the focus lock shifts once you zoom again. Plus the canon is mjpeg for video, thought I could live with compressing the clips but sadly there aren't enough hours in the day so reluctantly I pick up the sanyo hd2 and the canon stays on the shelf. I want the hd1000 but keep holding back just in case they throw in exposure lock, a higher res cmos sensor, 1080p and here's hoping OS lense

Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:25 AM   #5

Wonder if Sanyo have something t respond to Sony HDR-TG1? full HD with OIS, hopefully Exposure lock and maybe some manual control all in a smaller size, doesn't seem to be any 720p options though? Still not perfect but maybe push Sanyo to respond as this could pull the whole market away from Sanyo!

Come on Sanyo give us 12xOIS lense and exposure lock, proper manual control and 8Mpix fast cmos sensor?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:51 PM   #6

Here are the specifications and a video of the new Sony recorder, courtesy of Google translations:
http://tinyurl.com/6aa9xt

(the original info in Japanese is at http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/P...00804/08-0403/ )
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:47 PM   #7

The key thing for me about any new camcorder is the low-light performance. Everything really valuable which I have shot has been indoors under difficult conditions. So I am really interested in the Sony TG1 noise levels.

The Sony HDR-SR10 uses the same Exmor 1/5 inch CMOS sensor, and so I did a quick test at my local Circuit City against my HD700 (a poor performer, in any case).

Allowing for the fuzzier image from the HD700, and the fact that I used the "easy" button on the SR10 (1/60 shutter) (compared to 1/30 on the HD700), my impression was that the noise in the SR10 was worse than the HD700 by a significant margin.

Since the HD1000 is even better than the HD700 in low light, I am losing my interest in the Sony TG1 very quickly indeed...

Now if only the HD1000 would open a new file when it hits the 4Gig limit instead of just terminating the recording at 25 minutes, or 55 on SQ... I need to record for 1:30 without stopping, like the HD700 can do... Software update, Sanyo, pleeez... You need to stay competitive

Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:03 AM   #8

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
So I am really interested in the Sony TG1 noise levels.
Being the Sony TG1 has a 1/5" CMOS, exactly half that of the HD1000, I definitely wouldn't expect decent low light performance.The chip is just so small. What would reeeally kick butt is if someone would finally release a camcorder that let you set your own bitrate! (within a certain margin of course - and yes I know about RED!). Then you'd be able to lower the bitrate just enoughto fit your lectures into one 4gb file.

Rev.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:44 AM   #9

The Sony chip is 16:9 form factor, and Sanyo don't really use all the surface area available on their sensor, so I figured Sony might be closer in perfromance. Also impressed by Sony's adaptive compression of black levels. Anyway, I have ordered an HD1000 so I will be able to get a better comparison in a day or two
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:16 PM   #10

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
The Sony chip is 16:9 form factor, and Sanyo don't really use all the surface area available on their sensor, so I figured Sony might be closer in perfromance.
Not using the full surface area does NOT mean you're getting less light or quality. If you want to have a camcorder that also doubles as a *higher res* digital camera you must use a chip that has more pixels. And as a result you are not going to be using the full sensor when recording video at a lower resolution. This is how camcorders allow digital photo's of much higher resolutionthan their video resolutions all with one chip.

Look, the HD1000's sensor has 2288x1712 pixels on a 1/2.5" chip. So, given that, each pixel has a specific size and receives a *set* amount of photons for it's surface area. When the camera films in 1920x1080 the physical pixel size is still exactly the same so the pixels still receive the *same* amount of photons - remember, the surface area of the pixels is still the same. So you're using less pixels but the pixels are still receiving the same amount of illumination that they would get when the whole sensor is used, you're just lessening the FOV. If you want more light you need a larger sensor with the same pixel resolution. For example, a sensor double the size of the Sanyo's would mean there would bemany more photons *per pixel* since each pixel now has a larger physical surface area. THAT would give you more light.

Rev.