Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:47 AM   #1

i have an older PC (win xp sp2, P4 2.66ghz, 1 gig RAM) and just purchased a HD1000 (arrives tomorrow!).

should i upgrade this guy or get a new iMac 24" with 1TB HD and 4 gig RAM?

just wanted opinions from PC and Mac guys
thanks!

yotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:18 AM   #2

If money is not an objection or you want an easy to use system for editing then get a mac; but it's cheaper to buy a pc with software such as vegas for video editing.
I have been a pc user for many years and only recently used a mac for 6 months or so, I see benefits of both but I have to conceed that the mac requires less support if you want one for relatives and friends especially if you happen to be the support guy.
The downside is the parts and repairs issues if a fault occurs on the imac outside a warranty. What I'm saying in a long winded way is that if you are skilled with pcs and windows then I see no reason in paying the price premuim for a mac.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3

These questions nearly always bring bickering between the two camps. I'll try and be as objective as I can be here.

I'm a PC user, but I'm also a PC tech for a living so I'm an expert with the platform. Either choice you make will be a good one. I don't think you'll find yourself not being able to do something on one that you can on the other. With that in mind I'll just say steer clear of any advice that includes the phrase, "Get a Mac... they're more for graphics, video, and music whereas PC's are mainly for business." That statement still comes from a lot of Mac fans these days and it's 100% nonsense. There are many fantastic software applications on both platforms for video, music, and graphics. I am a musician and I write, recording, mix, and master my music all on my DualCore AMD Athlon XP machine. I video edit on my Intel QuadCore machine and in the past years I've done 3D modeling and animation on the PC platform. So pay noattentionif someone says that.

That aside, I hear iMovie is great software. It's awesome that it's included with the OS. On the PC end there's Windows Movie Maker though I've never used it. If you get a PC and plan to do serious editing you'll probably want a better software like Sony Vegas Pro 8. On the Mac end for serious editing you'll probably want Final Cut Pro. So either way, if you're doing any serious editing it will cost extra. If not, the built in software on either platformshould do the trick.

Some things to consider are:

1. Price - how much power can you get for your budget with each system? They both use the same Intel hardware now so which is giving you more for your money?

2. Preference - have you tried both platforms? Which one do you seem to enjoy usingmore?

3. Software andperipheral availability - does the platform have the software and upgrades you might want to get? Sometimes people buy one platform thinking a certain software they want is available on both whenit's not. For example, Final Cut isn't available for Windows.

I'm sure there are others but that's a basic list. So, go check out a Mac and see if it seems right for you. As I already said, whichever you get you WILL be able to do what you want.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:17 PM   #4

I've been considering the switch for years, but only now am i at the place to decide ultimately.

i'm very well versed in the windows environment, dabbled in linux (to try). i have done serious audio editing with pro tools LE in win xp

i think i can figure out the Mac world just fine

i'm thinking about an iMac 24" 2.8 ghz, 4 gigs of RAM, 750 GB or 1TB of HDD storage.

aesthetically pleasing, it will look good in my house, but it should perform well with video editing in iMovie, music in iTunes, streaming to my appleTV, ordinary web stuff, photo organization, and down the road using it for home audio recording.

plus it would be easy for my wife to use without BSODs (at least twice a week)

those are my thoughts -- probably justifying the purchase to myself

yotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 1:36 PM   #5

Yotoad the imac will do all you want and it will keep your missus happy. I have the older white imac with a just a 17" screen and 2gb and it allows me to do all i want without hassle, although i freely admit I have only edited 720p stuff. I think the major factor in this is that you have native support of appletv and that your other half can use it without too many issues. If you want windows on it just bootcamp it and you will be happy.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:20 AM   #6

Yotoad,
I agree you do not have to buy a mac just to edit video. Both PC and Mac machines should be able to edit your video with appropriate software. I have owned a HD-1 for several years that just died yesterday :sad: Thus, I am here reading up on the HD 1000.

After 10+ years an above average windows user I bought a macbook 18 months ago to "try out mac" and I am not going back but that is just my opinion. iMovie has served me well for the HD-1 video and should handle most basic needs.

I would be happy to give you more off topic mac opinion if you PM me or email at my forum user name at the yodeling major search engine
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote