Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:52 AM   #1

anybody know how to?

mpeg streamclip has worked for me for converting mpeg-2s from my sony DSC-T30 -- just wondering if anybody was converting these files to AppleTV HD or just the AppleTV standard conversion (within iTunes)

thanks in advance everybody - i'm excited to figure this new camera out!
yotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:22 PM   #2

anyone? another bump just for good measure :?

Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:46 PM   #3

yotoad wrote:
Quote:
[/font]
I'm new to the forum, so been ploughing through some back posts :-)

What resolution in the HD1000 are you starting from?

I recently bought "Turbo 264" from:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mai...oduct3.en.html

This will quickly convert from any HD1000 file *except* 1920 * 1080 to Apple TV.

One nice thing about it is it'll do a batch of conversions, eg. click "start" when you go to bed :-)

HTH.
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:13 PM   #4

tvjohn wrote:
Quote:
yotoad wrote:
Quote:
I'm new to the forum, so been ploughing through some back posts :-)

What resolution in the HD1000 are you starting from?

I recently bought "Turbo 264" from:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mai...oduct3.en.html

This will quickly convert from any HD1000 file *except* 1920 * 1080 to Apple TV.

One nice thing about it is it'll do a batch of conversions, eg. click "start" when you go to bed :-)

HTH.
I am starting at the 720p60fps resolution, namely because of what i've read about the 1080i -- i don't have a Mac, but am planning on getting a 24" 2.8 ghz iMac and upgrading it to 4 gigs of RAM

does the turbo 264 export to Apple TV HD (720p,24fps)? the end goal for me is to shoot home movies in 720p60fps, use iMovie and export the edited movie to Apple TV HD format

would this work with the turbo 264?

thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:59 PM   #5

yotoad wrote:

does the turbo 264 export to Apple TV HD (720p,24fps)?* the end goal for me is to shoot home movies in 720p60fps, use iMovie and export the edited movie to Apple TV HD format

thanks!
[/quote]

As you can see from the attached pic', 24 fps is ok.

If you like, I can post a few seconds clip somewhere of the Turbo 264 Apple TV setting output from my HD1000 footage?

What display do you have connected to the Apple TV? Are you using HDMI, or component?

A few days ago I upgraded my few weeks old macbook to 4 Gb of ram. It's very easy to do on this machine, just taking about 4 minutes, whereas it took me 2 hours on my wife's older iBook G4!

Interestingly, booting the macbook into XP on the windows partition, XP reports only 2.96 Gb., but after doing a quick web search, it appears this is normal.

I also use the Turbo 264 to convert some DVB satellite files, as it deinterlaces whilst converting, making the result more pleasant to watch on a computer.
Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:06 PM   #6

That would be awesome to see a 720p60fps clip converted over to appleTV 720p24fps

that way i could drag and drop it into my iTunes and test it.

i have my AppleTV connected via component at 720p -- i have had it via HDMI before, but i like the component a little better (too many handshake issues)

i'm actually thinking of an iMac instead of a MacBook

tvjohn wrote:
Quote:
yotoad wrote:

does the turbo 264 export to Apple TV HD (720p,24fps)? the end goal for me is to shoot home movies in 720p60fps, use iMovie and export the edited movie to Apple TV HD format

thanks!

As you can see from the attached pic', 24 fps is ok.

If you like, I can post a few seconds clip somewhere of the Turbo 264 Apple TV setting output from my HD1000 footage?

What display do you have connected to the Apple TV? Are you using HDMI, or component?

A few days ago I upgraded my few weeks old macbook to 4 Gb of ram. It's very easy to do on this machine, just taking about 4 minutes, whereas it took me 2 hours on my wife's older iBook G4!

Interestingly, booting the macbook into XP on the windows partition, XP reports only 2.96 Gb., but after doing a quick web search, it appears this is normal.

I also use the Turbo 264 to convert some DVB satellite files, as it deinterlaces whilst converting, making the result more pleasant to watch on a computer.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 4:42 PM   #7

yotoad wrote:
Quote:
[b]That would be awesome to see a 720p60fps clip converted over to appleTV 720p24fps

i have my AppleTV connected via component at 720p -- i have had it via HDMI before, but i like the component a little better (too many handshake issues)

i'm actually thinking of an iMac instead of a MacBook
File still uploading, & I notice you already use mpegstreamclip, so I've edited that bit out of what I posted earlier.

Yes, the iMac's nice. I chose a macbook, as I needed a machine I can use whilst travelling.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:55 AM   #8

Ok, I restarted the upload.

http://rapidshare.com/files/10727251...TVout.mp4.html

It's 120 seconds of handheld footage.

I checked with Quicktime & in fact Turbo264 has rescaled the video, but it'll be interesting to see what you think of the result anyway, particularly as in my case, I don't yet have a big display.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:14 PM   #9

I'm away from my apple TV right now, but i will download the clip and let you know how things go . . .
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:55 AM   #10

yotoad wrote:
Quote:
I'm away from my apple TV right now, but i will download the clip and let you know how things go . . .
Ok. I suspect as it's been scaled down somewhat, it won't be what you're looking for, & your feedback may end up being more useful to me in that you can tell me how it looks on your setup!

It was a useful exercise actually, because although Turbo264 doesn't seem to export video (audio's fine) from the HD1000's 1920 * 1080 setting, I tried it with the 24 fps custom setting I'd just set for your clip, & that does convert ok!

I took a look at Elgato's forum, & there's a mixed bag of results, with some just so-so, & others reckoning it's brilliant. Elgato does issue software updates for the device, so hopefully 1920 * 1080 at 30 fps will work soon too.

I also have their software for digital TV & that's excellent.