Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:53 AM   #11

I assume it's in "auto" mode... Sounds like it's rapidly changing the aperature and/or shutter speed while trying to adjust to the low light conditions. Try changing it to aperature mode and manually setting the aperature to see if it goes away.
uglybassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 6:24 PM   #12

Interesting enough, my brand new HD1000 that I just bought last Friday did this exact thing today when I turned it on. It was in sleep mode and I opened the LCD to wake it up and had forgotten to put the card in. The display behind the message saying "insert card", kept flickering to black at random times. I was so worried it was broken, but I powered it down fully, inserted my card, turned it back on and the display was normal.

Hope this doesn't turn into an issue.

And yes, once the card was inserted I confirmed it was in auto mode. Auto mode is functioning properly now though.

mumdb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:54 AM   #13

I just received my new Sanyo HD1000 today and I experienced the same flickering/random blank out. It only seemed to happen the one time when I was in a very dark room. Turning the unit on and off did not help, neither did resetting, formating card, nor turning on flicker reduction. Moving to a bright room did though.

Makito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:48 AM   #14

Try increasing the exposure value and see if it still happens. I'm intrigued to see so many reporting this as I've never had it yet and I've shot plenty of indoors in low light and I've even shot a large amount of night footage while on my last vacation trip and I have no flickering - even on a dark beach. However, the difference though is that each time I had increased the exposure value to brighten everything up so I'm wondering if increasing the EV helps eliminate the problem. I assigned a "shortcut" (as they call it) to the joystick so I simply press the stick to the right to increase it on the fly.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:17 PM   #15

I can confirm I have this problem aswell in low light situations. Turning the camera off and back on again fixes it.

Amar
Captain-Amar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:04 AM   #16

I had the same flickering problem 3 times in 2 months when switching on the camera from standby by opening the screen.
At least one time it occured outside with sun light.
Switching off completely and then on again solves the problem.
I suspect it's a software glitch.
OpaPiloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:23 AM   #17

I've had mine for only a week and it's happened at least 3 times so far; once when it came out of standby in afairly dark environment, then a couple of times when coming out of standby under normal interiror lighting conditions. Each time I was able to correct it by powering it off, then back on.

Next time it happens I'll try messing with exposure comp.
Smoky Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:17 PM   #18

Hmmm, has this happened for people when they weren't using the camera's standby mode? As I've never had this problem I'm curious to know as I've always turned the camera off between extended use. I've never closed the LCD and left in standby mode.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:25 PM   #19

My brand new HD1000 started flickering immediately I pointed it down to our carpet. I changed ISO from Auto to 200, switched off Steady Hand, neither made any difference. The camera has not been put into standby. Firmware is v1.1.0, which came with the camera.

I have no idea how to stop it doing this on random scenes. This behavior is not nice:P

ps: I just phoned Sanyo service. They said to swap it out with Amazon, where I bought it. Given the experience of others posting in this thread I am not sure that the problem is not systemic, and that a new unit will not have the same problem. Sigh... Otherwise the HD1000 is working as expected, much better than the HD700. It looks rather 'technical' with a Rode SVM videoMic on the hotshoe, with a dead-cat, and sounds superb, too...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:40 AM   #20

I have the same problem. Mine does it from time to time too. Don'T know why. But closing the screen and starting new, solves the problem. Maybe we should send Sanyo this threat. Guess, lots of useres have this problem.
mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote