Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:49 AM   #1

I bought a new Sanyo Xacti HD1000 camcorder from Fry's a couple of months ago, and I've been having a very odd problem with it. Every once in a while, the image will start rapidly cutting in and out and flickering. This *seems* to happen more in low light situations, although that's not a scientific observation. Pointing the HD1000 at a brighter-lit area for a moment seems to make the flicker go away, at least temporarily...but that's not scientific, either. The problem seems intermittent.

I've posted two examples here:

http://homepage.mac.com/sydtech/FileSharing4.html

Both examples were shot indoors, under either incendescent or halogen lighting, with the camera set on 720p ("HD HR") and full auto. They were transferred to a Macbook Pro and trimmed/exported to QuickTime using the full version of the QuickTime (Pro) Movie Player.

This is my second Xacti HD1000 - I exchanged the first one at Fry's and now it's happening with the "new" one as well. I'm quite bummed by this! I love this camera in every other way, but obviously having it randomly wig out like it has been is unacceptable.

Has anyone else who owns an Xacti HD1000 had this issue?

Thanks,
Scott

(Doh! Typo in the subject line - sorry!)

sydtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:02 AM   #2

Wow dude that sucks. I haven't had any problems like that at all. That's weird... you said you had it happen on two *different* units? The only thing I can think of in that case is your memory card. Was it the same one you used in both cams? If so, it might not be up to specs or have corruption and the HD1000 might be having an issue with the card not writing fast enough. Also, have you tried updating the firmware? If not, here's a thread with a ton of good info:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27

Lastly, does it happen when you shoot in other modes? (both lower and higher quality)

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3

Have you tried shooting in the flicker reduction mode? Details about this are in the manual with this exact problem.
mumdb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4

Are you seeing this stuttering/flickering on the LCD when you replay the video on the HD1000 itself. I looked at one of your videos and it looked like there was severe frame droppage going on or something to that effect. I'd like to see a video clip unedited direct from the camera to see if it's doing the same thing. If it is, I would look at two things... 1) trying a different (and faster) SD or SDHC (at least class 4) card, and 2) try setting the camera in either aperature or shutter priority mode. It is possible that the full auto mode keeps changing the aperature or shutter speed contributing to the problem.

- Ugly.

uglybassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:30 PM   #5

mumdb1 wrote:
Quote:
Have you tried shooting in the flicker reduction mode? Details about this are in the manual with this exact problem.
Did you see his videos? Flicker reduction is for reducing flicker from flourescent lighting. The problem he's having looks more like frame dropping and the lighting looked like it was incandescent.

I'm honestly thinking it's the memory card.

Oh, and Uglybassplayer... yeah, they were seeing it in the LCD as they recorded.

Rev.

Old Apr 7, 2008, 1:03 PM   #6

It doesn't look like dropped frames to me. I downloaded sample 1 and ran through it frame by frame, looks fine to me except for the constant normal exposure, under exposure flickering going on. Beats me. I've tested a class 2 4gb card in mine, and only problems I've had were playing the full hd clip in cam, it can't seem to keep up and the red light flashed on the camera, but when played back on the computer or PS3 it shows that it recorded just fine.

What kind of card are you using?
mumdb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 1:26 PM   #7

Hmm, you're right... I just looked at it closer and realized the frames aren't blacking out entirely they're just getting very dark. It originally looked to me like they were solid black frames. So, it's definitely not frame dropping.

*EDIT - ha, I wasn't going nuts. The second clip does have some solid black frames whereas the first clip just seems to have frames that get really dark.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 2:38 PM   #8

I remember I had the same problem/flicker at a live concert a few weeks ago. There was a lot of red light, first all was smooth and the flicker started when I shot into a red spot. I was a little confused and turned the cam on and of, but the flicker was still there. Later outside at low light shooting in the city all was perfectly again. :?
In my opinion it`s definitely not the card, I use a 8gb class6 turbo a-data.
Before this flicker happened I shot a concert at the same location under the same circumstances without any problem. I´ll will check it out at the same location again next week.

*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:20 PM   #9

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I'm using a 16GB Patriot "Class 6" SDHC card.

I have a friend who was with me at Fry's and bought his HD1000 and the identical SDHC
card at the same time, and he's not yet experienced this problem...

Just out of curiosity, I'm trying now to do a full format of the card from the camera after I've hooked it up to my Mac in card reader mode, just in case Mac OS is leaving any weird little tidbits on the card itself that could conceivably trip the camera up...
sydtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 5:18 PM   #10

I am having the exact same problem.

The problem also appears in the LCD display. When the light goes below 1/5, the flickering starts. I flickers up and down from 1/2 to 1/5 - when the light goes over 1/6 it stops.

As I worte, the flickering is visible in the LCD and on the recorded video...

PS. THE FLICKERING APPEARS EVEN IF I DONT RECORD...

UnHappySanyoUser is offline   Reply With Quote