Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:42 PM   #1

Hello

After 1 week of testing, my opinion on the HD700 is:

- low light: HD700 is worse that a 5 years old miniDV (Sony PC5)
- overall imagen quality: a bit disappointed, colors&resolution is not "true HD 720p".

I Think that the problem is the H264 codec inside the camera. Photo quality is quite decent, the lens and CCD are OK for high resolution stills, so for only 1280x720 lens and CCD are not the limiting factor.

I´m trying to figure out how can we to test the codec, isolated from the lens and CCD. As the camera has not analog in, this is very difficult.

I´m trying to encode a high resolution video (for example microsoft HD web page samples) into H264 (using mainconcep SW) and to watch this video in the Sanyo camera (this will test only de decoding performance) but the camera does not recoznoce this "h264" video. Anybody knows how to encode h264 video compatible with the HD700?
cybercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2008, 5:23 PM   #2

cybercam wrote:
Quote:
Anybody knows how to encode h264 video compatible with the HD700?
I believe all Sanyo Xacti's use a customwritten codec that was created by Sanyo for ahigher level ofefficiency encoding. Therefore, you likely will not be able to put video from elsewhere back into the camera for playback. I could be wrong but this is what I've garnered from reading within the time I've owned my HD1000. I can say for sure that the HD1000 codec is superior to the MainConcept codec. To get the exact same quality I had to re-encode at a bitrate higher than 12mbps.

One thing to be certain of is did you encode to the exact same bitrate as HD700 footage? If you didn't that also will cause a failure to playback. But like I said, I'm not too sure the camera will recognize non Sanyo encoded files.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:18 PM   #3

I have other devices with H264 codec, they say the same cannot be done. Not true.

I use Arcsoft total media extreme. hoping that sanyo will work, it is a matter of time finding out if Arcsoft makes one for sanyo.

You jUST GET THE , A BIG QUESTION MARK on converting if wrong files
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:35 PM   #4

Fishy, I have no idea what your post means :-) Are you saying you've gotten files encoded outside the HD1000 to playback in it? If so, what did you do (ie. software/settings/etc). Also, what does "Just get the joker, a big question mark" mean? Sorry for the questions, I'm just baffled by your post :?

Rev.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:55 PM   #5

Rev2010 wrote:

To design and manufacture a good H264 chip is difficult and expensive. I thik that this codec have some limitation in order to simplify the desing and power consuption and memory needs. As you can see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264 there are a lot of levels and profiles (and the sanyo codec is not standard). I don´t understand your explanation, you are speaking about editing HD1000 footage and re-encoding but I think that this is not a valid test.

Quote:
I can say for sure that the HD1000 codec is superior to the MainConcept codec. To get the exact same quality I had to re-encode at a bitrate higher than 12mbps.

cybercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 4:51 PM   #6

cybercam wrote:
Quote:
you are speaking about editing HD1000 footage and re-encoding but I think that this is not a valid test.
Sure it's a valid test, how is it not?? If you take a clip encoded at 12mbps and re-re-encode it using the *same* bitrate using another AVC codec and the quality is less I believe that is a pretty fair indication of codec efficiency. A less efficient codec will re-render the file with a lower quality. A higher efficiency codec will allowyou to re-encode at a lower bitrate and still have the same quality.

To get indistinguishable quality I have to re-encode at something like 16-18mbps using MainConcept's AVC codec. With Sony's AVC codec I have to use 20mbps to attain exact quality. Sanyo has touted their custom written codec as being more efficient and so farfrommy experiencesencoding with other codecsI happen to believe them.I have to say for only12mbps their codec works extremely well.

Rev.

Old Apr 16, 2008, 4:51 PM   #7

Sorry My Electric bill was not paid.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I said if you load a file up and not coded, youget agiant question mark on the lcdscreen, why my dam KB typed-oops me - that.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I alsosaid I use a Aiptek A-HD and I have absolutely no problem playing "any" video into the camera

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"what file bitrate etc will you need to convert to do this?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote