Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:30 AM   #1

I tried to find a thread on this but I could not. I just purchased a HD-1000 and the Xacti Library software says that it only workds on a hard drive formated in FAT32. I have read the posts on other editing software and it appears that Vegas is a good one. The question I have is, if you use Vegas to edit your video do you still have to work off a hard drive formated in FAT32 like you would with the Xacti Library software? And if you use Vegas do you have to even load the Xacti Library software on the computer at all? I am new at this so please go easy.

Thank You
Thor70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:24 AM   #2

I think you're confusing the issue. The Xacti Library function is so you can connect an external hard drive to the *camera* so you can transfer files from the card to the drive. The drive does need to be formatted FAT32 and most usually are already when you receive them. It doesn't matter if your computer drive is NTFS or any other file system. Files can be transfered from the FAT32 formatted external drive to your PC and back without having to do anything and with no compatibility problems at all. You also do not need any software to use the Xacti Library function.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:28 PM   #3

Rev,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am confused. Reading the information that came with the camera I was under the assumption that to edit the videos shot on the HD-1000 you can use the Xacti Library software and a requirement, for that softwarewas that the hard drive used to store the videos from the HD-1000 had to be FAT32. After reading in this forum it appears that other editing programs are being discussed and used more often. I guess my question should have been: Can I take the SD card out of the HD-1000 download into a computer (on a NTFS hard drive) manipulate the video data using a third party program (Vegas) and not have to deal tithe the Xacti software at all? I just don't know what I don't know.

Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:08 PM   #4

Yes, but to be clear the Xacti Library is *not* a software - it's a feature. The software that comes with the HD1000 is garbage! Don't even bother loading it. I am using Vegas and it's the best I've found for the AVC .MP4 format so far. It works very very well and has a lot to offer but is obviously pricey. They also sell a lighter version for only like $85. So again, yes, you can copy the files from the SD card to your computer hard drive and it does not matter at all what file system your computer uses. The only time you must use FAT32 is for an external hard drive hooked up to the camera's docking station and transfering the files to it using the camera's Xacti Library feature.

Rev.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:08 PM   #5

*DELETE - DUPLICATE POST DUE TO FORUM POSTING PROBLEMS*
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:22 PM   #6

Rev,

Thanks, that was the information I was looking for. But as with more information comes more questions. You say that Vegas comes in a "Lite" version. Is there any substance to the lite version or is the full version the only way to go?

Old Apr 18, 2008, 8:04 AM   #7

Well, personally I feel if you have the money then Vegas Pro is the only way to go. However, for some the lite version is enough. Here's a link to it:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope

And here's a link to the Vegas product family comparison so you can see what it doesn't do:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...udiope/compare

Rev.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:51 AM   #8
arp

Try ConvertXtoDvd... I think is a goor option!
arp is offline   Reply With Quote