Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:57 PM   #1

First off, I love this camera. It's a quantum leap over my old VPC E1, while still maintaining the only form factor that works for me in an industrial environment (extremely stealthy - must fit in one of the smaller pockets of my briefcase).

Today I noticed that, when notrecording a video, if I press thePHOTO button to take a still shot the image on the monitor appears to "zoom out" significantly. The change is so dramatic that you would swear that someone put a wide angled lens on the camera.

I have both theMOVIE andPHOTO resolutions set to 1920 X 1080. If I change theMOVIE resolution to 640 X 480, then the change in apparent focal length (zoom level) does not occur. Other settings like photo resolution or image stabilization have no effect on this.

I shot over an hours worth of industrial video yesterday, and although the resolution was spectacular,having played around with photography most of my life it certainly seemedlike I had to step too far back to frame my shots, especially considering that the focal length is 38mm when fullyzoomed out. What I found today confirms it.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?Or better yet, can anyone with an HD1000 confirm my findings?

-Matt
Smoky Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:49 AM   #2

Yes, the Focus for taking video clips and taking pictures are different. Either you shoot your pics and zoom in later or you take your pictures out of the video footage. That is what I do pretty often.

If you have them set both to the same resolution there is actualy no need to shoot seperat pictures. You could take your snapshots out of the video footage. There are 60 frames per second and I bet there are tons of pictures that you can use.

I do that, since thes resolution is big enough for my pictures. If you want to have them in poster format, than they might be to small. But 2megapixel is big enough for any kind of normal picture size.

I found out that you find very often better "snapshots" in the video footage. Sometimes you shoot a clip and are not fast enough to catch a certain picture. Now you just take it out of the video.

You can do that in the camera. There is a menu for saving still images. Just try it.
mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:52 AM   #3

Thanks Mosplace. But I'm more interested in why there is a difference.

For indoors-type video shooting, the wider field of view that is seen inPHOTO mode would be much desirable.

If the same sensor is used for both PHOTO and MOVIE, and the same resolution is used for both, why is there a difference inthe field of view?
Smoky Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:50 PM   #4

It's a pity. Not the whole sensor is used or the Videos. One reason is certainly the EIS, the electronic image stabilisation. You need a bigger sensor to equalize the movement. Otherwise you would have black edges. If there where an OIS, an optical IS, this all would not be necassary.

ddchesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 4:44 PM   #5

Ddchesser, am I thinking wrong or is the fact that the image sensor is supposed to be along the lines of 4MP in quality, and being 1920x1080 resolution is only 2MP in quality that no matter what you still will not be using the full sensor? How could you use the full 4 megapixel sensor for a resolution that is only half the size? I think this is normal and makes sense.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 2:24 PM   #6

I agree with you all, but if it was up to me when a user is not in need of the EIS I would have let the user enjoy the max possible angle of view.( Just like the HD700 if I am not mistaken.)
Rev, even if your math is correct the cammera has apparently the potential to choose which of those 1920x1080 pixels to sample (EIS). Instaed of tracking those 2MP that are concentrated in the center of the sensor (or which ever part the EIS is prefering) why not sample pick those 2MP justly spread out to cover the whole sensor area. This might result in quality drop? but I would say very negligient.

Amer.
Amer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:22 PM   #7

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
Ddchesser, am I thinking wrong or is the fact that the image sensor is supposed to be along the lines of 4MP in quality, and being 1920x1080 resolution is only 2MP in quality that no matter what you still will not be using the full sensor? How could you use the full 4 megapixel sensor for a resolution that is only half the size? I think this is normal and makes sense.

Rev.
The Imagesensorhas approximately the size of 2500 by 1700 pixels. The biggest 4:3 image is 2288x1712, for a 16:9 Image you can use 2496x1408 pixels (see menu, 8MPixels is only interpolated). If you take Video you only use 1920 pixels for the width, no matterwhat resolusion (1280x720, 640x480,...). The Videos has alway the same width if you lookon the display.The height certainly depends if it is 4:3 or 16:9. This meens, if you take a Video 640x480 you use more parts of the sensor,1920x1440 pixels scaled down to 640x480. Compared to the 1920x1080 of Full HD this is much more. Why not using for 16:9 Vids 2496x1408saled down to 1920x1080 using nealy the full sensorand light!!!. The Xacti HD has as big object lens why not using the whole sensor for Vids.In my opinion the reason is the EIS,about 10% of the sensor areaon each side isused to eventhe movement of the cam.

ddchesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:52 PM   #8

The reason why it doesn't use the full sensor and scale down the video is cause it would require more processing power and would be of lower quality. That's a whole extra step it would have to do for each frame of video which means it needs amore powerfulCPU.Also, the quality would be slightly *lower*. If you think about it, if the highest quality video is only using 1920x1080 pixels of the sensor then it is mapping 1 to 1 pixel. Itshould result in a better picture than taking a higher amount of pixels and discarding a bunch of them to create a lower resolution. Doing that would meanyoulose1 to 1 pixel informationand insteadyou're leftwith aninterpolated image (downward interpolation). That would be of a lower quality.

Rev.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 9:39 PM   #9

so what settings are giving you the best possible still pictures?

i'm currently using 720p60fps video and i WAS using 3.5M 2496X1408 (16:9)

now i'm not too sure . . .
yotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:45 AM   #10

I like my pics in 16:9 now so I use the 3.5mp setting that you were using.

Rev.