Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:10 AM   #11

That was my point!

I should not work unless you have mains power and even then will it?
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:40 AM   #12

tvjohn wrote:
Quote:
..... The external size limit is probably FAT32 determined, 32 gig's (unless "special" ways around that are used) rather than by the HD1000.

As my new 500 G hd is here now, I created a 32 G partition, FAT32, & like I described in another recent post, the dock found it ok (second pic'), & transferred the card contents.
tvjohn,

My Seagate drive has been known to be flakey in the past (doesn't work with one of my desktops), so I'm going to try some other external drives at my office today. I did have a FAT32 32 GB partition on it when I tried it with the HD1000.

The FAT32 32GB limit is an artificial limit set by WinXP/2000. According to Microsoft, the maximum FAT32 partition size is2 terabytes (8 TB with some jury rigging). Win98 can create a FAT32 partition up to 127.5 GB in size.

Did you connect your drive to the HD1000 before partitioning it?

My HD1000 came with documentation that states if the drive's format is not usable by the Xacti library, you will be given the option to format it, and it also states that only 1 partition will be created. Also, if you have at least one usable file on the drive, you also have the option to reformat it. I'm wondering if you can use the library to partition and format the drive to its full capacity.

I'm hoping that the Xacti library is usable with a disk partition larger than 32 GB. If not, then it would be rather useless.
Smoky Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:58 AM   #13

Hm, that is realy strange. I have a 60 Gb iPod Video with the newest sortware for it.

I have not hooked it up with the power suply. Only the PC iPod cable in the USB adapter cabel from the HD1000 and pluged in in the dockingstation of the camera. The docking station was pluged in the socket since it wont work otherwise. At least mine, doesn't work without the power supply.

I can work in my libary and do everything.

I don't know, if that might be a reason. I have the program iDump on my iPod, but usualy that shouldn'T matter.

The Sanyo has created, i think, 3 folders in my iPod. Now, I'm realy confused, if it doesn'T work with yours.

I have only short clips on my camera at the moment. The longest is 8 minutes. Maybe it happens, if the clips are to long. I have only tried to synronize it from the camera to the iPod. Not the other way around.

I send pictures and clips to the iPod. Can arrange them in new albums, or delete them. Simply everything.
mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:00 AM   #14

Smoky Pond wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a size limit foran external drive when used with the HD1000? I know thatthe format has to be FAT32. But I also have been unable toget my Seagate 200GB external drive to work with it. With that one the HD1000 gets stuck displaying the "Processing" message.
I have a 230GB WD pocket drive works well with my HD1000. Yes FAT32.
Since my HD1000 does not drive the WD I use a Y-USB cable to get power from a PC.
I am working on a way to use an external power suply to power it instead so to be completely freed from a PC.
Amer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:39 AM   #15

tvjohn: on the second picture it says "libary not found" create one. you have to say yes. Than it will take a while and after that you can use this library. Try it.
mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:57 AM   #16

Yeah, I have an 80gb external FAT32 and it recognizes the full size. It's certainly not limited to 32gb.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:28 AM   #17

I just verified that it does not work with the Ipod Classic 20 GB 4th generation (not the 'photo' or 'color' model). Same error message: "This drive can not be connected"

Returning to the 6th generation Classic 160 GB, I tried using a 'Y' USB cable to derive power via my laptop: same problem. I then tried putting a piece of tape over the pin 1 contact of the USB connector going into the adapter cable of the HD1000: same thing again.

It just ain't gonna work!
Smoky Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:20 PM   #18

Often manufacturers will stipulate things like "must be powered externally" because they have no resources to deal with support hassles, even though some battery only drives will work just fine, eg., mosplace.

When I'm traveling I often store data on my iPod, as it's not full, but almost always it's mac related data, hence I have it formatted hfs. It would be handy to use it as a HD1000 backup though, so it was worth a try :-) I haven't given up yet actually....

Smoky Pond:
"Did you connect your drive to the HD1000 before partitioning it? "

No, because there's no way HD1000 would understand the HFS format of my iPod. As I can easily backup & restore it though, I just reformatted it FAT32 but got the error message I posted.

mosplace:
Yes, I've tried 2 hard drives (one SATA & one IDE) now with my HD1000, & both have the 3 folders you mention.

It wouldn't be helpful to me to dedicate a whole drive to just the HD1000 so I partition my drives according to what I need to connect them to. So a couple of my drives that I sometimes cart around with me have partitions for MAC OS X intel, MAC OS X PowerPC®, & FAT32 (so windows can transfer data). Fortunately the HD1000 has no problem finding the FAT partition. In actual fact neither of these drives will be used for backups of my HD1000 - I just wanted to do some tests, & it's nice to contribute the results to the forum in case it helps others.

To all:
I realise that FAT32 drives can be much bigger than 32 Gigabytes, but I'm making a huge assumption that most forum posters & readers are using XP (I have no knowledge of Vista) which AFAIK will not allow a drive to be formatted FAT32 > 32G?

I now only buy bare OEM sata hard discs & connect them via a sata/IDE/USB2 adapter to the computer I'm working on. They need formatting & or partitioning before I can use them. Perhaps most forum members buy an external drive preformatted, so as such drives (typically 500 G) are almost always now marketed to both windows & mac users, they are probably FAT32 formatted, as mac os x can read & write to FAT32 with no additional software.

I'm under the impression though that 500G of data living in a FAT32 world isn't the most efficient use of that space?

I haven't & wouldn't use XACTI library to format a drive. I prefer it to talk to one of my existing drives which it appears to do just fine:-) However, perhaps many of you will want to do just that!?

Since I primarily use mac os, my knowledge of the windows world is nowhere near that of some of you folk!

I bought a mac os x application called "iPartition" so I can repartition drives on the fly - it doesn't destroy existing data on the drive, & I don't even disconnect it to repartition. Dozens of different formats are supported by this application.

mosplace:"tvjohn: on the second picture it says "libary not found" create one. you have to say yes. Than it will take a while and after that you can use this library. Try it."

Thanks, yes I did try that & it worked ok on 2 totally different drives I tested. If only it would work on my old iPod! When I get a spare mo', I'll take a look at what the commercial iPod camera adapters do.
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote