Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:59 AM   #1

hello all,
I have an HD1000 and also a IPOD video 80GO 5th gen.
I wonder if it is possible to use the IPOD as an external hard drive connected to the xacti dock.
That would be very useful for me when travelling because that could allow me to move all the files from my card to the IPOD.
Please note, I know that I will not be able to watch the files in the IPOD (especially hidef files) I just want to use it as an external storage
Thank you
(sorry for my poor english, Iam french...)
tekno31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:43 AM   #2

In theory it should work if you set the IPOD to DISK MODE prior to plugging it in.
Makito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:47 AM   #3

tekno31 wrote:
Quote:
hello all,
I have an HD1000 and also a IPOD video 80GO 5th gen.
I wonder if it is possible to use the IPOD as an external hard drive connected to the xacti dock.
(sorry for my poor english, Iam french...)
Bonjour tekno31,

cela ne fait rien, votre Anglais est parfait ;-)

Maintenant, back to English :-)

I have a third generation 40G iPod, yet I hadn't thought of that. I suppose that's why these forums are often so useful - they inspire.

As I normally use a mac, my iPod is formatted HFS, but it's not full at the moment, so I made a 9Gig partition formatted FAT32, but that doesn't work.

I'm (im)patiently waiting for a 500G sata HD from Germany & when it arrives, I'll backup my iPod, format it entirely FAT32 & see if that works, as your idea would be useful for me too.

Do you use a mac or pc? That is, is your iPod formatted FAT or HFS?

If it's FAT, & you have some free space, why not just connect your HD1000 to see what happens?

À bientôt.
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 3:00 PM   #4

Yeap, it works! Just tried it with my 60 GB iPod Video. First you have to do one setting in iTunes. Check the box, so that the iPod will be recognized as a volumen drive.

After that, disconnect your iPod and hook it up with the Xacti. Than you can open up a library and transfer the files to the iPod.

Great idea! Thanks for the tip.
mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:22 PM   #5

Well, since I have an Ipod Classic 160 GB (6th generation), I decided tofind outif it would work with the HD1000. After playing around with it all weekend I've come to the conclusion that the 160 GB 6th generation Ipod will not work with the HD1000.

I have the 'Enable Disk Use' box checked in Itunes, and 154 GB of free space available on my Ipod. Virtually every other devicesee'sthe Ipodas a drive just fine, including my desktop PC, my laptop and my Playstation 3 (which by the way does an EXCELLENT job of playing the HD1000's video fileson my Sony Bravia KDL40XBR4 with 120 Hz image processing, including the 1920 X 1080 "FullHD"). But when I connectthe Ipod Classic 160 GBto my HD1000,the following message is displayed:"This drive can not be connected"

This is a real bummer. I thought for sure that I had found a use for all that unused space on my Ipod. It would have been great to use for storage when travelling with the HD1000.

Does anyone know if there is a size limit foran external drive when used with the HD1000? I know thatthe format has to be FAT32. But I also have been unable toget my Seagate 200GB external drive to work with it. With that one the HD1000 gets stuck displaying the "Processing" message.
Smoky Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:19 AM   #6

@Smoky Pond, are you sure? That is strange. Maybe try it again. Just switch everything on, after you connected everything. It will take a while. But than it should work.

I cannot imagine, that there is such a big difference between the 5th and 6th generation. Do you have the newest firmware on your HD1000?

As for the seagate. It will take a while until the files will be send to the drive. When I connect my iPod there is a long time the "prossesing" message, before the files are send over. Especialy if you connect it for the first time. Since the programm has to create a few folders.

Just try it again and be patient :-)
mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:41 AM   #7

Smoky Pond wrote:
Quote:
... I've come to the conclusion that the 160 GB 6th generation Ipod will not work with the HD1000.

Does anyone know if there is a size limit for*an external drive when used with the HD1000? I know that*the format has to be FAT32. But I also have been unable to*get my Seagate 200GB external drive to work with it. With that one the HD1000 gets stuck displaying the "Processing" message.
It looks like it's iPod device dependent.

No luck with my third gen', even after formatting as FAT32.

I get the first picture on connecting the dock.

The external size limit is probably FAT32 determined, 32 gig's (unless "special" ways around that are used) rather than by the HD1000.

As my new 500 G hd is here now, I created a 32 G partition, FAT32, & like I described in another recent post, the dock found it ok (second pic'), & transferred the card contents.

Is your Seagate not NTFS formatted (assuming you use a windows pc)?

There are a couple of iPod "adapters" available for certain models, but I have no experience of them.
Attached Images

Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:37 AM   #8

The HD1000 is supposed to be NOT compatible with self powering drives which the ipod is so I dont see how it would work unless you have the ipod plugged in at the mains???
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:12 AM   #9

TheTurk wrote:
Quote:
..I dont see how it would work unless you have the ipod plugged in at the mains???
There's a 5 volt mains psu supplied with an iPod, in my case via a firewire plug, so just have that connected whilst connecting USB to the HD1000.

mosplace may have done that with his, or maybe even discovered his works without separate power?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:40 AM   #10

After reading all comments, I decided to try
so I have an Ipod video 5th gen fat 32 formated, and it is recognised as a hard drive by my PC.

I plugged it without any other power supply to the HD1000 dock and finally.... it does not work, not recognised :sad:
May I missed something ?
tekno31 is offline   Reply With Quote