Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1

Hello to everyone as I am new to the forum. I just purchased the new SANYO CG9. I am for the most part very impressed with it. I am still working with it to get a better understanding of its functionality and so forth.

I did notice however that when I try to import the movies into iMove08, I only get partial movies and not the whole clip. EXAMPLE: A movie clip i did was 43 seconds. Yet only 21 seconds is imported into iMove08. Something tells me there needs to be an update to iMove08 via APPLE. I am able to take the file copy it to Roxio Toast 9 and burn it directly to DVD with the entire 43 seconds intact.

I also noticed that when filming in video 60 fps it looks a little jittery/shakey? Not sure if that makes sense. Perhaps a firmware fix for this? That won't happen unless others experience the same problem as I have.

Otherwise... Its great!! Fun to use and very easy.... PERFECT for a first time user!

Sincerely,
M
SANYO-CG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:24 AM   #2

Hi,

720p videos at 60fps are demanding for the PC that is displaying them. Can you check the CPU use while playing such video ? As an example, my PC isusing about 55% of CPU power when displaying a 720p/60 fps.

If you want to be sure that your PC is not the bottleneck, open two 720p files at 60 fps and play them in two different windows. If you don't get artifacts, this means that you will have some headroom when playing only one file. Looks like a stupid method, but trust me, far from beingoptimal, it itfast and effective.

Many times, users do complain about the HD camcorder not working properly ... when in reality it is the computer environment not suitable : fast processor,decent videocard,suitableHD player, suitableHD movie editor.

If you buy a new computer, double check it is HD-capable. Nowadays any decent computer isokay with 720p at 30fps, but be careful when asking for 720p at 60fps or even the "standard" 1080i at 30fps, asboth aredemanding.

Must say that many users are complaining about the 1080i format, especially when the videoplayer is not properly recognizing the interlace nature of the video. Then they get fuzzy edges on the moving parts of the video. Then you tell them to activate the de-interlace option in their video player (SMPlayer has that) ... and many willcome back reporting thattheir computer cannot handle 1080i PLUS the de-interlacing process : fluidity is gone as theCPU now is dropping framesat100% use.

Must say also that there are many de-interlace algorithms available, the "lowpass" one being the worst (but mostly used by default) meaning that you will blend the two alternating fields together without precaution using a low pass filter (smear) so you will losedefinition ... but won't eat CPU power.

If you the prefear a more intelligent de-interlace, you end up eating CPU power like from 25% CPU usage "no de-interlace" you now get 100% CPU "advanced de-interlace".

There is another de-interlace method consisting on generating a 60fps video from the twohalves at 30fps. This alsoCPU-intensive but fluidity is optimum.

So, knowing that all LCDs are progressive displays, I would avoid shooting in 1080i. I would always prefear 720p at 60fps if the camera and the computer do support it. And in a few years, we'll have the "real" 1080p coming so no hassles anymore with the de-interlace process.

As nothing is simple down earth, I have noticed into the Xacti Sanyo specification, that the 12Mbit/s video produced by the 720p / 60fps settings is "frame rate optimized" and that the 9 Mbit/s video produced by the 720p / 30 fps setting is "quality optimized". Therefore I fear that the individual quality of eachframes from the 60fps setting, may beless good than the ones from the the 30fpd setting.

Would be interesting to check, like doing a smooth panning on the same scene, using 720p / 30fps, then using 720p / 60fps.

Why not share your video footageusing http://www.megaupload.com/en/

All you need is to create a (free) account then upload the videofile as it is coming from the camcorder without editing it. Then, when it is uploaded, all you need is to point the preciseMegaUpload location. When other users are going to download this,you'll get feedbacks from them,and maybe solutions about which player is best suited and about which editing software is best suited.

As an example, try downloading this video footage:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W1O7XZ8L

It is claimed to be from the Sanyo Xacti HD1000 ... but I have a thin doubt. It is so good ... What do you think ? The Sanyo Xacti HD1000 has a 1/2.5inch CMOS sensor with 4 Megapixels gross, sosurely Sanyo isresamplingthe acquired pictures into 1080 or into 720lines before even entering the video compression.

Now, with the CG9, I think we have a 1/2.5inch CMOS sensor with 9 Megapixels gross, soagainSanyo isquickly resamplingthe acquired picture into720lines before entering the video compression.But having 9 milionsphotosites on a 1/2.5 inch format makes each photosite so small, therefore I'am really doubting about theXacti CG9 low-light sensitivity.

If you could post some Xacti CG9 footage usingMegaUpload, it will help me making an opinion.

Steph

steph_tsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:25 AM   #3

Must say you are very lucky to own such Sanyo Xacti CG9.

You must be the very first one having got one. By the way, haveyou noticed that Sanyo has not yet released the specification sheet of the Xacti CG9:

http://www.sanyodigital.com/specifications.aspx?v=21

I am still wondering if the CG9 does allow 16:9 720p/30fps recordings ...

Please upload some footage using MegaUpload.

Steph
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:37 AM   #4

Does the CG 9 use the same mini usb connection and DB-L20 batteries as previous models? Handy if anyone fancies upgrading from an earlier model!

The only thing I'm a little suprised about is that the CG9 now uses a CMOS chip rather than CCD on previous models...not sure if this will adversely affect the image quality??
vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:49 AM   #5

I do not believe the CG9 allows 16:9 720p/30fps recordings.

This model is geared towards the 'Beginers'

Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:54 AM   #6

I've taken pictures with the new CG9 and its pretty good. Colors seem pretty accurate no over saturation with colors.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 2:42 PM   #7

UPDATE*

I spoke with APPLE this morning on the problem with the Xacti CG9 only importing half of the video. APPLE'S response was they have encountered similar problems with users who have the XACTI CG6 - It can import mp4 movies from the SD and SDHC cards but not the entire portion.

I've been trying to get through to Sanyo tech support but I keep getting hung up on from the autimated system.

This is definetly a SANYO issue and what needs to happen is Sanyo should work with APPLE to reslove ths issue and other issues with the Xacti line.

:!:
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:44 AM   #8

If you don't upload the file on MegaUpload as from the SDcard, who do you think is going to help you getting this file properly treated by iMovie ? Are you here for makingcomplains or are you here forgetting a solution ? And please describe your computing environment (hardware, OS version, iMovie software version). Thanks in advance. Please note the Sanyo Xacti CG9 has his specification sheet not yet released so please check if you are dealing with an earlyapre-production model or not.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:11 AM   #9

I have a 24" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac 2.16 ghz, 3 gb ram, 500 gb hd, OS 10.5.2. I am using iMovie 08 (7.1.1)

To download the file go here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6XGAEGMI

It was shot at 60 fps
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:31 AM   #10

Hi,
I downloaded your clip and ran it through imovie06 at work and it saw the whole 33 odd seconds and now outputing to mp4 as we speak. It also played fine using quicktime, the imac I use is a 2ghz with 2GB and OS 10.4.11 so less powerful then yours. The good news is as an owner of imovie08 you can get imovie06 for free see http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

herbs is offline   Reply With Quote