Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:00 PM   #1

Here it is!!! Video Footage and Stills from the Xacti CG9!!!

I've had the CG9 for a week now and for the most part I really am impressed with it!
Please keep in mind its meant for the entry level consumer at $280 or less. This by no means I high-end Digital Camera - THINK ENTRY LEVEL which I think is a smart move on SANYO'S part.

Its a 9.1 Megapixel and shoots 640x480 video (60fps) as well as (30fps)
I've got a few complaints with the CG9 but they are minor.

Download the 30 fps here - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XUI93WE8
Download the 60 fps here - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4COOY84J
Download the 60 fps low light -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CZKM4916

Download the stills @ 9.1 Megapixels here: http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=Xacti%20CG9

If you would like to talk more about the CG9, email me:
[email protected]

GREAT JOB SANYO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to link the videos and stills to any site you wish.
I hope to get an opportunity to review the upcoming XACTI-CA8

DREW
http://www.eyeonthedesign.com
SANYO-CG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2008, 5:35 AM   #2

hello sanyo-cg9 :roll:

I downloaded your samples and I have a question. I have a cg65, which is a great little camera and has most features the cg9 has, except the 60fps and smaller megapixel count.

As I watched the 60fps sample, I noticed a constant vibration noise from the camera. This was not as noticeable on the 30fps sample.

I am really liking the looks and fluidity of 60fps, but could you check if that noise happens only when going into 60fps?

I had similar issues (but much less noticeable) with my cg65, but I ended up blaming the plastics on the body and maybe cheap assembly.

I am ready to jump to 720p (not interested in 1080i/p) with H264, but sanyo really hasn't put out anything portable in that realm (the hd700 'zoomed-in' feeling kills it for me as far as portability.. since it needs an adapter to shoot 'right' ), so for now I am going to stick with SD...

My cam is great, but the wide anlge/fish eye lense sometimes annoys me. I see a lot on wide angle, but there is a lot of distortion.

Thanks
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:19 AM   #3

How does the CG9 do in low light situations? I would like to see some indoor clips to see how it compares with my Xacti C40 for instance. I tried the HD700 and it was much noiser than average which I am sure is partly because of the small sensor with high pixel count. Therefore it will be interesting to see some sample video clips from the CG9 with it's CMOS and even higher pixel count under low light conditions.

I also didn't really like the zoomed in look and the barrel distortion of the HD700 either.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:02 AM   #4

I've updated the files and added a low light 60 fps video as well.

Low light of course isnt the best. Have a look
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:40 AM   #5

Thanks for the new sample... sadly, I still hear the vibrating noise sounds at 60fps :shock:

I wonder what could cause that. Is virtually non-existent at 30fps. This is a downer for me

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:47 AM   #6

Yes I am hearing that too... interesting.

Here is a video clip i just shot at 60 fps with a different setting

Can you see if you still hear the distortion?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7ERBS8QZ
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:17 PM   #7

mmm, I've seen the new clip and there is a lot of background noise... but I am sure the original vibrating sounds is not there anymore. Makes me wonder what caused it in the first place.

What are those new 'settings' you changed?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:24 PM   #8

the background noise are cars driving.. birds, etc seriously
the setting i cahnged was the movie stabilization. It was off originally.. now turned on

Old May 1, 2008, 2:06 AM   #9

SANYO-CG9 wrote:
Quote:
the background noise are cars driving.. birds, etc seriously
the setting i cahnged was the movie stabilization. It was off originally.. now turned on
yes, I know what the noise sounds were, but I really don't see how the stabilization ON/OFF could be related to a constant vibration sound in the camera, as if the diminute lens was a bit loose or something and the mic was picking up the constant play of it... however, the stabilization ON does explain why the edges on the last video were all jagged.

As you may know, the Electronic stabilization of this camera (and my CG65) is achieved by zooming into the image produced by the cmos, allowing for extra 'play' on the image to compensate for unwanted movements. The problem is of course, you lose resolution (jagged edges).

Thanks for the samples
Old May 22, 2008, 6:14 PM   #10

Hello, this is my first post in this forum. I just purchased a CG9 and I have to say the first impression is good. I haven't had time to play with it yet, so I will get back later with my impressions and some video.

While I was trying the camera at 60fps I have notice the noise you guys were referring to. The only explanation I have is that the auto focus needs to work much faster at 60 fps. In fact, the noise increases when I zoom-in and the lenses need to be precisely adjusted. Also, this noise is not particularly strong and it is audible only when nobody is speaking and I am in a quite environment.

So far, the small clips I shot look good. I will have more time to play with it next week.
lumaca75 is offline   Reply With Quote