Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 7, 2008, 12:51 AM   #11

So, all these downloads and only three responses... anyone else out there like the videos? Why is everyone so quiet? :lol:

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 5:03 PM   #12

Lol, sorry Rev.

It's been a busy week.

I downloaded all of the vids this past weekend.

Loaded them on my PS3 via memory card, but only the 1st vid will play.

I thought it looked great! I want to sit down and watch it again, because to my untrained eye, it seems...I don't know, hazy? Halo-e. Not sure how to describe it. But the vid is pretty frackn clear. I can't wait to kick the tires of my HD1000 when I hit Aruba in Sept.

As for the other vids, they displayed as "currupt data" on my PS3. I believe I need to re-download those and try moving them to PS3 again.

Actually, I finally got the PS3 to read my new PC via the PS3's "media server" function. So I'll just try playing them that way once I download them again.

btw.

New PC specs I just put together

Intel Q9300 quad core

Abit IX38 mobo

4gigs DDR2 1066

750GB Sata2 HD and a 500GB sata2 drive from my old pc

EVGA 7800GTX vid card

Vista Home Prem.

Dell 24" LCD

...and the other uneventful pieces that go into a system.

I'm looking forward tofiring up Vegas Pro which I just picked up.
Stephman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 5:22 PM   #13

Yeah, must've been a problem with the download or something cause they all play ok on my PS3. If all else fails try checking for a PS3 system update if it isn't already updated.
Old May 18, 2008, 1:56 PM   #14

hi, got here via your Amazon review of this camera, which I'm considering.

But I just downloaded the codec you provided and I can't see picture of your video (I downloaded just the smallest file for a test). I can HEAR it, but no video.

Any ideas about what I did wrong re: downloading the codec?

Thanks.

Also I have a question: I'm not really interested in HD. I don't have an HD tv. I AM interested in this nice little camera with the big lens that seems to do better in low light conditions than a lot of these other little cameras (I am now using a miniDV JVC from around 10 years ago and never get around to editing my tapes (of course)) and would love to record on SD.

Anyway --- I'm wondering if the HD is too too much for my needs, given how difficult it seems to be to play movies on a PC (I am not a mac person).

Any thoughts appreciated, and I would really love to see your movies! so if you have any tips about what to do about that codec...... OH another question: how does this camera perform regarding taking stills, compared to, say, a $300 or so still digital camera (I have owned Minolta Dimage X, a decent Panasonic, a Kodak with the two lenses on it, etc.) --- is this video camera a decent replacement for this when I go on vacation?

THANKS for any advice, comments, etc.

D. Melanogaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 5:21 PM   #15

Are you opening the files in Windows Media Player? If you're not make sure you open them in Windows Media Player. The codec pack should give you the ability to see the video, it's worked on every machine I've installed it on.

As for HD... is your TV a standard set - in other words not widescreen? If it's not widescreen you may not enjoy the footage as much as you will have letterboxing. The thing though is eventually some day everything will be HD, so anything you film now will look great when you make the switch to anHDTV in the future. I don't know what your intentions are for the cam... if you're planning to edit video and how technically proficient you are but if you plan on editing and aren't technically proficient then editing HD footage may prove to be more of a challenge than you'd be comfortable with. The camera has some basic editing features built in, such are cut and join, and if that's all you need then you're fine. Either way, I always recommend you buy from a place you can return for a refund. This way if it doesn't work out for you you'll still get your money back.

As far as comparing it to a digital camera... nearly all camcorders don't take as good pictures as a standalone digital camera. But, I actually really like the photos from my HD1000. Prior to this cam I had a Canon A40 which during it's time was a great camera - though only 2MP. I shoot my pictures in 16:9 with the HD1000 as I view my photos on my LCD HDTV. I use the 3.5MP setting and the pictures are definitely better than my old Canon A40.

Rev.