Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 7, 2008, 4:12 PM   #1

i was having problems when capturing 720p videos in dark places. i was having to much noise and loss of details. then i set my iso to 50 and i get a very dark video but when i add some contrast and brightness on computer i noticed it is much more better than shooting on auto iso! i don't know if anybody use this technique but here is the way i do it:

1.shoot the video at 50 or 100 iso.
2.open the video using free "mediacoder" software ( i recently discovered and very liked this program ) .
3.on video option. i make it xvid-avi or h264-avi with 5000kbps ( also you can recompress videos with setting 2000-3000kbps)
4.on picture option > effects - increase brightness, contrast and saturation until you get what you want.
5.and start encoding!

in sample screenshots light of room is switched off. some light coming from doorway.

Attached Images

thisiswhatisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 4:29 PM   #2

Looking closely at the photos the iso50 picture has more noise, but is much sharper and clearer. I definitely prefer an image that is sharper with more detail even if there is more noise present. Nice finding! Many times people can figure out easysolutions for such things but so many peoplethese days won't bother to eventryadjustingthe cameras settings.Glad to hear you found a method to improve your lower light shots and thanks for sharing it with others.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 10:10 PM   #3

Maybe the Noise Reduction in the HD700 is disabled by setting the ISO off Auto? What setting is the NR in your HD700?

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 8:44 AM   #4

noise reduction is set off in both videos. actually i bought the cam 2 days ago. i didn't find a chance to try noise reduction yet. maybe it can give better results i don't know. i will give a try but this is daytime in turkey now. i will have to wait for night

@rev2010 i prefer sharp but noisy images instead of clear but blurry images too.
thisiswhatisthis is offline   Reply With Quote