Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 8, 2008, 11:05 AM   #1

Hi all. Yesterday I picked up this underwater housing for the HD1000:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...using_for.html

It appears to be made in Japan, very excellent build quality, but VERY bulky. I bought it since my wife and I often travel to places like Hawaii andSt Maarten where we're in the water a lot - either swimming, kayacking, boating, etc. So she suggested we get the case so we can use it in and aroundthe water. The case is rated down to an astonishing 150' depth! I think for the price, for scuba divers and snorkelers it's fantastic. However, after pulling it out of the box I realized it simply will not do for the leisurely type of water activities we do... the thing is HUUUGE!! I mean, I guess it has to be but I had no idea it would be so large and clumsy to hold. It has a strap for your hand, which you need to use or you can't hold it, and the way your hand is positioned eitherleaves your fingers near the lens or in an award position. It also seems that you can only really operate it with two hands.

So anyhow, this isn't a review or anything, just a bit of a heads up. I only checked it out for a few minutes, literally, before decidingI am going to return it but only because it's really meant more for serious underwater diving than what we want it for. If you're a diver than this is the case for you!! It seems extremely rugged and well designed for underwater use. If you are looking for a waterproof housing for simple beach/pool play I really wouldn't recommend it or at least see it in person first.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2008, 11:24 AM   #2

Rev,

Thanks for the heads up. Is this Waterproof housing new? I did a search a few weeks ago for a waterproof housing for our HD1000's and only found bags that were not specifically made for our cams.

That case is nice looking, but very much on the pricey side, at least more so than I was looking to spend. But I guess if you're scuba diving frequently, then that's part of the price to pay.

Have you come across any other waterproof housings for our cam? I would love to take my cam under water when on vaction and even local water activities near home.

Thanks
Stephman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:51 AM   #3

Just this bag:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._for_Palm.html

which is listed as working with the HD1000. However, I've read countless bad reviews on these bags. A large amount of them are from angry owners who have had their camera ruined due to the bag leaking water in so I would personally stay away from them.I'm not sure how long theEpoque case has been out but it's at least been out for a few months now from what I recall.

Rev.
Old May 8, 2008, 3:21 PM   #4

You're right Rev, the Epoque EHS-1000 was released a few months back. It's interesting that all of the images of it where it is shown next to an HD1000 has it scaled to about the same size, which of course it can't be since the Sanyo needs to fit inside of it. It doesn't however allow you to get a perspective on how big it really is compared to the camera itself.
uglybassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 3:40 PM   #5

This is the best I could find, and it's the company's site:

http://www.epoque-japan.com/e-digita...hs1000hd-1.htm

Still doesn't really give you an idea of just how large it is. Like I said, seems like a fablous case, just too over the top for my uses.

Rev.
Old May 9, 2008, 10:09 AM   #6

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
This is the best I could find, and it's the company's site:

http://www.epoque-japan.com/e-digita...hs1000hd-1.htm

Rev.
You have to love the japanese to english translation of some of the descriptions...

Housing is also grasped and photographed. (added by Ugly: notice the"photograph" to the right of this caption showing the EHS-1000 being "grasped")

It can be record full high-definition movies in underwater.

"EHS-1000 HD" digital housing is new concept housing made to reproduce underwater faithfully, without leaving the performance. It is the covetous housing which can be used also as digital movie housing only as digital camera housing."
uglybassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 10:29 AM   #7

uglybassplayer wrote:
Quote:
You have to love the japanese to english translation of some of the descriptions...
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!! LOL, tell me about it! When I opened it up I thumbed through the manual and was like, "Oh great, this is one of those bad Japanese to English translated manuals" :lol:

Rev.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:38 AM   #8

- Despite its relatively compact size, the Epoque EHS-1000HD is indeed rather bulky and uncomfortable to hold.
- Fitted with a WAL this housing also becomes very front-heavy.
- Inside the housing, the HD1000's auto-focus becomes very noisy, rendering any underwater tone almost useless (unless you shoot in locked focus mode).
- Epoque's screw-on WAL is a pain to remove & replace underwater. Personally I much prefer e.g. Sea&Sea's quick & easy bayonet system, but alas that's not an option in this case. Still, I recommend using a WAL.
- Unfortunately, my housing flooded after only seven dives, thereby totally ruining my camcorder. (see: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...876677#p876677 )

+ As for the actual video quality, I think it's quite acceptable for such a small camcorder, considering the underwater shooting conditions I had to deal with, i.e. total darkness! (for a cave diving video sample, see: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wnC6VXaShXE )
cavefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:32 AM   #9

Wow that sucks! I never read the included info but doesEpoque offer some type of guarantee?

Rev.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:12 AM   #10

I guess there's indeed some kind of warranty if you can prove the housing has a defect... but as the housing didn't leak on a subsequent test dive, the leak was probably due to a mistake of mine...

I've thought of two possible causes:

(1) An unseen impurity on the main O-ring? Even though I didn't see any before (obviously) nor after the fatal flood.

(2) An improper closure of the housing? All clamps were properly closed but the housing being made of plastic it could actually have been slightly bent out of shape... e.g. by a silica bag placed behind the LCD monitor causing a pressure point.

Anyways, this is what Epoque wrote me:

Dear Mr, Firstly we thnk you for your having purchased our EHS-1000 HD underwater housing and we are sorry that you have had trouble on this unit for flooded. We are producing our underwater housing with care and we are doing waterproof test with 100% and sufficient pressure before shipment and we are sure that there is no item we shipped with flooded. Anyhow so sorry for this. If you would have any further question please be back to us. Best regards...
cavefish is offline   Reply With Quote