Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 8, 2008, 12:10 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm a newbie ..not a camera professional...I'm looking to buy a good HD camcorder.
Could you please tell me which one I should go with hD1000 or SD9.

I did search on internet, but couldn't find good article regarding image/picture quality.
I know portability wise HD1000 is better , but need some expert opinion before pulling the plug as I'll keeping the camera for nect 5y years or so as it is minimum $600.

thanks
ahalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2008, 12:39 PM   #2

Here's a review of the SD-9:

http://www.*********/content/Panason...view-34650.htm

OK, seems it's blocking the link. Replace the stars with camcorderinfo(dot)com

It seems they say the SD-1 had better video performance even though it's an earlier model. They show some pictures that detail the difference.

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 6:41 PM   #3

Thanks Ray !

I read that review but what I'm looking for is the difference between HD1000 and SD9 by someone who has used or seen both cameras in action.
ahalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 4:53 PM   #4

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
Here's a review of the SD-9:

http://www.*********/content/Panason...view-34650.htm

OK, seems it's blocking the link. Replace the stars with camcorderinfo(dot)com

It seems they say the SD-1 had better video performance even though it's an earlier model. They show some pictures that detail the difference.

Rev.
I noticed that myself whenever I tried to put in a link to camcorderinfo(dot)com. I wonder why.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 7:17 PM   #5

Probably because it's a competitor site. To be honest though, I actually feel camcorderinfo is a biased review site. The reviewer(s) seem to favor Canon products and always seem toput them one step higher on the pedestal. I've been a big fan of Canon's digital cameras and such for a long time but I believe in fair reviews regardless. Reading their reviews on Canon products I get this feeling like they always think higher of Canon. But, that's just my feeling... no factual basis behind that of course.

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 11:10 PM   #6

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
Probably because it's a competitor site. To be honest though, I actually feel camcorderinfo is a biased review site. The reviewer(s) seem to favor Canon products and always seem toput them one step higher on the pedestal. I've been a big fan of Canon's digital cameras and such for a long time but I believe in fair reviews regardless. Reading their reviews on Canon products I get this feeling like they always think higher of Canon. But, that's just my feeling... no factual basis behind that of course.

Rev.
Well they're not really a direct competitor as they are solely a camcorder site whereas steves-digicams is about digital cameras and rarely reviews camcorders and even then it's mainly because they have proper still image ability like the Sanyos.

I do agree with you about them being biased but for a different reason. Just read their reviews and comments about solid state cameras such as the Sanyos and Aipteks etc. They really do have a low opinion of them. Just look at this comment in the review of the HD2: 'And at the rate prices are dropping, you can find an HD2 online for about $100 more than an HD1. It's up to you to decide between a really bad or just bad camcorder.' I mean come on, they are nowhere near that bad. I have seen stunning footage from the HD1. Of course when compared with the Canon TX1, you're right they favored the Canon of course.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:50 PM   #7

For years I have wanted the perfect hybrid digital camera and camcorder in one. To this point it seems you either have to pick a camera that takes crappy video or a camcorder that takes crappy pictures.

I think the lines are slowly coming closer. I think the HD1000 is the best hybrid device I have seen (like the HD1/2 before). But while the HD1000 still seems to be a camera first that tries to do better video I think the panasonic is still a camcorder that ?tries to do better photos.

So, I think you have to pick your priorities and go from there...
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 4:06 AM   #8

Some days ago a guy tagged a clip of mine on vimeo - http://www.vimeo.com/909008 - with pana sd5, maybe he found it good for a comparison and maybe it`s helpfull for you too (search with sd9 on vimeo for pana clips).
*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 1:01 PM   #9

*derxxsfilmer* wrote:
Quote:
Some days ago a guy tagged a clip of mine on vimeo - http://www.vimeo.com/909008 - with pana sd5, maybe he found it good for a comparison and maybe it`s helpfull for you too (search with sd9 on vimeo for pana clips).
Very nice video.