Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 8, 2008, 3:22 PM   #1

I purchased the HD1000 last week, am very pleased, i work on a dual G5 and whilst it struggles a bit with the MP4 format on full hd, once i convert to quicktime, it is more super smooth.

However i have only just tried it with my Freecom Mobile Drive Classic 160 HD that i brought at the same time as it is classed as USB bus powered drive.

I get an error message saying "Hard disk is not connected - Disconnect USB converter cable is not using Xacti Library "

I have tried a powered MyBook 1TB pro drive and i got the same message.

Next part of my investigation involved me plugging the sanyo pluf to a full sized usb plug into my Iomega 1TB powered drive. When i did that i got the screen popping up as is i plugged a card reader into it.

I have tried reformatting the drive to FAT using disk utility on leopard. No joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sam
digisamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2008, 12:30 PM   #2

digisamuk:

Xacti only recognizes external disks with their own power supply. Power supply through the USB conection of the docking station don't work.
spindiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 2:23 PM   #3

Hello

Yes thank you for that, i did search the forum for the error message and xacti library but one came up with nothing and the other was too generic.

But after i saw where my post was i noticed a similar topic. Hopefully the error message in my post will forward people to that article if people have the same problem.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...81&forum_id=27

I tried the HDD with an external power supply, but it was one of those multi adaptors with the variety of plugs and only hat 4.5 or 6. When i tried it on 4.5 it picked up the drive but the transfer took over 30 min for about a 3 min worth of video. I had to unplug and the next time i plugeed it in it came up asking me to reformat the drive. I said ok and left it (ended up being overnight) but it still said "formatting"

So i put this down to the 4.5 voltage and don't want to risk the 6v option.

I have ordered a USB Y cable and hope to use this with my iPhone's AC to USB plug. I will let you know.

FYI for UK readers you can get them here http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire/...e-a-to-mini-b/

(my HDD has a mini USB, but i fyou backtrack you can choose alternatives)
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:40 PM   #4

had a pm from: dennyden

Quote:
I read you comments on Xacti library external hard disk connection. I have 160 GB Western Digital hard disk without AC power outlet, only small USB connection on it. I formatted hard disk to FAT32 format, I used Y type USB cable, one AM end goes to USB to AC power adapter, another AM end goes to Dock of HD1000 and finally small USB end goes to Hard disk. An error message "Hard disk is not connected - Disconnect USB converter cable is not using Xacti Library " still exists. I tried everthing that I know and I read. Can you help me to solve this problem? ( By the way, 4 GB flash USB storage device works without any problem, that means I am able to use Xacti library function with my 4GB flah memory )

I will appreciate for you answers and your help.
Hmm, not sure

You could try swapping around the different plugs, mine suggested that one is specifically for data and was marked with a red ring. I assume that your HDD works when connected via USB to your computer so it is USB powered?

I guess so as you say you have formatted it.

Are you able to try it with another drive? I brought a Western Digital MyBook Pro 1TB to use to clone all my HDDs on my mac and then use to boot up should i have a HDD failure? It turned out that that because of a way WD build their HDD it would not work as a boot disc. Could be a similar issue?

The Y cable worked for me, so i am out of other options, you could try a differnt AC/USB adaptor, do u have an iPod or iPhone? I use the one that came with that. But i did buy a cigarette lighter adaptor for the same purpose and that wouldn't work or charge up my iPhone, but it did charge my iPhone. So it would be the adaptor isn't pumping out enough power.

Good luck, and post your reply in the forum, helps people who are looking for similar help.

Sam
Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:02 PM   #5

I use iPhone AC-USB adapter, WD HDD powered and turns. I use the end of Y cable which is for power, the other end of Y cable for DATA transfer, you are right. So, I conncet AC powered HDD to the Xacti to use Xacti Library. STill the same error with hard disk connection failure. There is only one possibility DATA end of Y cable is not working! after your message Ichecked this onHDD with PC connection, actually power end of Y cable works well but DATA end not. POWERend both delivers POWER and DATA, DATA end does not deliver neitherPOWER nor DATA. I think my cable is not working well I will inform you after changing Y cable. Thanks Digisamuk..
dennyden is offline   Reply With Quote