Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 14, 2008, 10:35 PM   #1

I bought a great C6 some years ago. It died a few months ago, after giving many years of faithful service.

I replaced it with an HD700 - bad idea - video quality was nowhere near my HV20 HD camcorders, especially if I enabled the anti-shake. Lens was just not good enough for HD.

So I sent that back and bought an HD1000. A few days ago that unit again went into one of its exposure-flashing fits and I knew I had to get another unit (Indeed, Sanyo Service told me it needed to be replaced).

I made the mistake of going down to BestBuy to check out the new Sony CMOS sensors, so that I could evaluate what the new Sony TG1 would be like. BestBuy had just received a new Canon HF100, and the first time I used it, I fell in love... Instant focus, even in low light. Additionally it had 2 stops better color definition in low light, at 24p (vs 15p HS on the HD1000).

But the clincher was that I could record hours of video continuously on the HF100, it automatically opens a new file every 2 gig of space. The HD1000 limited me to 40 minutes or 55 minutes of HD, both of which are unacceptable.

I see nothing on the horizon from Sanyo. I see nothing about firmware upgrades to fix the limited continuous shooting issue, and so I will not be replacing the HD1000, I have moved to the HF100. A little bigger and bulkier, but actually surprisingly light and easy to hold.

I still check these Sanyo forums every couple of days, but I see nothing happening here, especially by comparison with the discussion of the new, low-cost, Aiptek, Jazz and DXG HD hybrids at
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;show=recent

So it's time to move on. I made many friends here (some of which are also active in the low-cost hybrids). Thanks to you all. Maybe Sanyo will be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat, but, IMO, it will be too little too late. Sony is pinching at the high-end, the Chinese at the low end.

Please turn the lights out for me, I have video I need to get 'on film'...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2008, 10:06 AM   #2

Hi Trevmar. Sorry to hear the HD1000 didn't work out for you but glad you found something that did. There certainly are many awesome features in the HF100. Before buying the HD1000 I had thought about holding off for the HF100. I'm still glad I went with the HD1000 though. I could easily buy the HF100 and sell off my HD1000 if I wanted and wouldn't loose much in the process. The thing is they're two different cam's with different features. I've been lucky enough to have not yet experienced any technical problems with my unit (knock on wood). I can tell you for sure though, if I had that flicker issue I would get it repaired, sell it off, and get the HF100. So far though it's been rock solid and I haven't even had muchissue with the autofocus like some have claimed major problems with.The primary features thatmake me stick with the HD1000 is:

1.3.5MP 16:9 photographs (I think the HF100's is only 2.1MP in 16:9)

2. 720 60p

3. Transfer of files to a portable hard drive. I really don't want to spend more on additional 16gb cards.

Those are my primary features, all of which areunfortunately not present on the HF100. I have no need to record over 40 minutes straight and if I did I don't think I would mind a quick second or two gapto stop recording and hit the record button again.

Anyhow, good luck with your new camera! Please share any links with us if you post up some video, or PM me or something. I would love to see some raw 1080 30p footage from the camera. I hear it's not true progressive but still looks very good.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 11:30 AM   #3

Rev,
I have processed HF100 AVCHD 24p video already, and it is true 24p. You have to process it (pull-down), but I am using basically the same AVIsynth scripts I used with the HV20.

In addition to the features of the HD1000 you cited, it is very comfortable to hold, although a bit too big to be 'stealthy'. When I started using the C6 I could take video without people being aware they were being immortalized:G From the C6 onward, Sanyo do seem to have made a series of ergonomically pleasant devices.

I forgot one of the main HF100 features. The EIS of the HD1000 is poor at 30p and is useless in HS 15p mode, while the OIS of the HF100 is better to start with, and effective even at 1/12sec shutters. This is not a big deal for me as I have been using Gunnar Thalin's Virtualdub DeShaker plugin, but it really is noticeable when you start to use the unit - less mental energy is needed to hold it steady.

I thought that maybe my HD1000 had such bad focus (at low light) because of the "flashing screen" fault in it, then I remembered the HD700 was just as bad...

Old May 15, 2008, 12:30 PM   #4

Yeah I don't even use the EIS, I have it turned off. It would be great to have OIS but I'm doing fine without stabilization actually. I hold the camera pretty well and the only time I have a lot of shakiness is when zoomed in close to 10x. As for the progressive shooting on the HF100, I know you can turn it into progressive frames but I've read around the net that the Canon's still actuallyrecord the video interlaced and then it combines the frames, or something like that.Someone hadposted images that show a ghosted frame every three or so frames (I believe it was three but I'm not certain).It's strange cause I don't see why they couldn't simply have the camera record true progressive frames, unless I'm misinterpreting all this :?

Rev.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:44 PM   #5

You do have to process the AVCHD video properly. I am sure that eventually the editing programs will catch up with the speed of AVCHD camera development, but in the meantime, it is relatively easy to split the true 24p progressive from AVCHD with free tools like AVIsynth.

Here is a post where I explain how to do it properly:
http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=11136

That same technique (but without 24p pulldown) worked with the video I was sent from Sony's upcoming HDR-TG1.

The simplified file exchange of MP4 is a major advantage that Sanyo still enjoys. I just despair that they understand the pace of change over the next few months...
Old May 18, 2008, 11:42 AM   #6

I bought a Kodak V1073 on Friday. Superb at low light. 99% of people who buy this camera will never use for for HDV video, but I have just posted a 1280x720 30p clip taken last night at my local outdoor mall:
http://www.vimeo.com/1028849

Kodak can now make video cameras which offer similar performance to the very best of Sanyo's current models. The Samsung nv24hf reportedly also has excellent HD video capability.

My Kodak v1073 outperforms both my HD700 (easily) and my HD1000 (by about 2 f stops, judged by low-light color balance, and one f stop judged by noise level). It does not have the focus hunting which plagues the HD1000 at low light levels. On the other hand, there are no manual adjustments on the Kodak. I figure it is an excellent complement to my HF100. IMO, Sanyo needs new models. Quickly.

Old May 18, 2008, 1:32 PM   #7

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
Sanyo needs new models. Quickly.
Don't know why you keep saying this. So far the HD1000 still has a number of features not found on other camcorders. Sure, the video quality may not be up to par with some other models on the market but that doesn't disqualify the camera from being good and useful. For example, the Kodak you mentioned doesn't do 1920x1080 recording nor does it do 60p.

Rev.
Old May 18, 2008, 1:46 PM   #8

Rev,
I keep harping on the things which need improvement on the HD1000 partly because I spent so many hours trying to get good performance out of mine before I gave up in disgust, and partly because I was uanable to take critical video of a once-in-a-lifetime trip because of low-light focus-hunting (yes, I used AE lock, but it was cancelled when I accidentally closed the display and put the HD1000 into standby). There are also other little quirks that one doesn't expect to find on camcorders on this class. I actually paid less for my Canon HF100 ($635), and it has none of these problems. The Canon has 1080i but I favor the 1440x1080 24p, interlace is not well-matched to computer displays.

I was a Sanyo zealot during the SD era. Look at my past posts. There is nothing I would like more than to see a firmware upgrade to fix the HD1000's main foibles. But I just don't see Sanyo reacting to changes in the market place.

But I will stop harping now, and disappear:-) I have my problems solved, and, as I indicated, somebody else will need to switch off the lights if Sanyo remains asleep at the wheel for too many more months...

Old May 18, 2008, 4:20 PM   #9

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
I bought a Kodak V1073 on Friday. Superb at low light. 99% of people who buy this camera will never use for for HDV video, but I have just posted a 1280x720 30p clip taken last night at my local outdoor mall:
http://www.vimeo.com/1028849

Kodak can now make video cameras which offer similar performance to the very best of Sanyo's current models. The Samsung nv24hf reportedly also has excellent HD video capability.

My Kodak v1073 outperforms both my HD700 (easily) and my HD1000 (by about 2 f stops, judged by low-light color balance, and one f stop judged by noise level). It does not have the focus hunting which plagues the HD1000 at low light levels. On the other hand, there are no manual adjustments on the Kodak. I figure it is an excellent complement to my HF100. IMO, Sanyo needs new models. Quickly.

... Cannot understand that at all.
Check this out to see the potential of the xacti:

http://www.vimeo.com/1029690
http://www.vimeo.com/1018606
http://www.vimeo.com/1017592
*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 5:05 PM   #10

Trevmar, I tend to agree with derxxsfilmer, I don't see how you think the performance is that poor. I've used digital camcorders for years and they all had poor low light performance. The HD1000 I find has much better low light performance than any of my old DV camcorders (Canon, Samsung, etc). And with the exposure correction I get even better qualityindoor footage. Yes, the camera can focus hunt at times but to be honest I've never really had much problem with it.And yes, it would be wonderful is Sanyo would fix the current issues with the cam in another firmware release but I'm still loving mine. I looked at the footage you posted from that Kodak camera and while the lighting was good I have to say the picture quality looked quite poor to me. I get much better indoor footage quality with my HD1000. If you take a look at derxxsfilmer's footage on Vimeo I think you can see how well this camera performs, granted most of his footage is outdoors. But it is of wonderful quality nonetheless.

I'm very happy you found something that worked much better for you. I'm sure the Canon is a great camera and has many benefits over the Sanyo. But with all the differences it's hard to agree with your sentiments that Sanyo is in trouble. I don't think Sanyo ever meant to really compete with the most popular companies, but instead designed something that others weren't doing. A camera that is extremely small, can do 1920x1080 instead of the common 1440x1080 anamorphically stretched, can do 720/60p, can backup to a portable hard drive, and uses a good codec. I think allmy footage looks great and is definitely HD quality. Never before could we have such quality in such a small package. My last camera (Canon Elura 60) cost the same price at thetime of purchase and itwas terrible by comparison.

I'm sure Sanyo will eventually release something better, all companies do. When I can get a cam that does 1920x1080 30p and some form of 60p such as 720/60p and is around the same size I will likely switch, no matter the brand so long as the quality is good.

Lastly, no one is asking you to disappear. Just remember this is the Sanyo section of the forums. Some people here are really happy with their cams, some aren't. Your experience is valuable to everyone, just keep in mind that while your experience wasn't positive others have had very positive experience with the HD1000.

Rev.