Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 16, 2008, 11:13 AM   #1

Hello,

I hope you can help me. I purchased a Sanyo DMX HD-1000 in Japan. I assumed that the camera would be able to display multiple languages, but boy, was I wrong! This model was made for the Japanese, and as the Japanese abhor the thought of using their English skills, it did not come with an English option.

My questions:

1) Am I simply dense and am just missing the language selection menu with the English option? Does this camera have the ability to display menus in English and I am too dim to find the English setting – or are my fears correct and it only comes in Japanese? If yes, how can I change the display language to English?

2) Is there a firmware update that I can install on the camera that will add English too the camera? I tend to doubt it, but I can dream, can't I?!

Thanks for your help! I hope that someone can come to my rescue, or I am going to be spending a lot of time studying Japanese characters in order to use my camera!!

Sincerely,

FatMan
LittleFatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2008, 1:24 PM   #2

Updating the firmware should put it into English but performing the update in a totally different language mightprove challenging. Here are the links below:

Link to the Sanyo English firmware update page:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/sup...tail_1win.html

Direct link to the firmware file:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/sup...e/s211nup1.exe

And a great thread with all the info you could want on the firmware update:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 2:23 PM   #3

Select the menu 3 in play modus, here you can choose the languages.
See the picture.

Attached Images

*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 10:51 PM   #4

Thank you for your help! I truly appreciate it!

Derxxs Filmer, thanks for your guidance, but when I go to that menu selection, the only language option available is Japanese. Usually, the Japanese are good about offering multiple language options (my mobile phone offers at least 5 language choices!) so I had my hopes up that I was simply looking in the wrong place. I guess not!

Rev2010, thanks for your suggestion. I am going to try the firmware upgrade, so please say a prayer for me that I don't kill the thing in the process!

A question. The Sanyo English Firmware Update page says...

"This firmware is for the VPC-HD1000 only. Please do not install it on another model."

My camera is the DMX-HD1000, the Japanese version of the VPC-HD1000. Does this matter?

Thanks again!

-FatMan
LittleFatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 9:43 AM   #5

The hardware is the same. I'd guess it should besafe but I can't say that with 100% certainty so if youdo it it'sat your own risk! I've checked the Japanese site just now and saw there is some form of update that occured for the DMX-HD1000 on 11.09.07 - a few days before the firware for the VPC-HD1000 was released. So, you probably want to play it safe and e-mail or call Sanyo to find out either if it's safe or if there's another way to change the language. How long have you had it? Is it still returnable to the store?

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:39 PM   #6

Hello! Can you tell us if that firmware upgrade changed Japanese language to English as I am willing to buy the same model if it works. Thx!
tsaabia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:08 AM   #7

Dont think it worked for him either hence why we may not have heard from him

I did exactly what was stated here and did the firmware thing and still only left with japanese language. Curious though do say the EU models or US models etc have actual voice prompts? Because the Japanese versions do have voice prompts when turning on, formating etc etc simple prompts but they still do

Wonder if there is an EU firmware somewhere that I could try? Some sellers on ebay are selling EU models which have multiple language support.
evangelionpunk is offline   Reply With Quote