Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 18, 2008, 6:40 PM   #1

I just purchased an HD1000 based on the reviews on this forum. For the last week, I've been shooting test footage with various light and colour combinations. Yesterday, I took the camera for a test roll during a hike. This is my main application – outdoor video. So far, I've been impressed by the outdoor image quality.

Here's my problem: I'm getting two mystery diamonds on all my footage.

I first noticed this when I loaded the footage into Final Cut Pro. I've attached a photo. I've highlighted the diamonds in orange so you can easily make them out. Below is the original screen. The diamonds aren't as annoying in the video still, but they make the footage worthless when seen on a HD t.v. or on my computer.

I've scanned the forums and can't seem to find the cause. My hope is that something is wrong with my video chip. I've looked at other users VIMEO posts: http://www.vimeo.com/753013 and the diamonds don't appear.

The mystery diamonds appear throughout the zoom. So it's not only when the lens is extended or retracted.

Also, the lens isn't dirty. That was my first guess.

The problem is also repeatable under different conditions.

Is anyone else having this problem? You may not even realize it. I didn't notice it until I was shooting the sky. You can so a simple test. Aim the camera at a blue sky. You can actually see the diamonds in the display, but it takes a minute for your eyes to adjust.

Looking forward to the responses. I have several weeks before I need to return it to Amazon.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

--- J

Mystery Diamond raw footage:

http://rapidshare.com/files/115901160/SANY0094.MP4

Mystery Diamond still:

doowylloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2008, 2:49 PM   #2

You will need to return your unit and get a new one. That looks like partially damaged regions of the CMOS sensor. It basically looks a lot like the damages that occurs to LCD monitors when not packed well, like only in bubble wrap,andgo throughshipping. While the regions that are damaged still appear to function they are darker than the rest of the image. So yeah, you will need to return it.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 4:40 PM   #3

Thanks Rev. I've packed the camera up and shipped her back to Amazon. Thankfully, they've already shipped a new camera to me. I should be up and running in a few days.
Cheers, --- J
Old May 19, 2008, 5:14 PM   #4

Let us know how the new one works out
Old May 19, 2008, 9:39 PM   #5

I'd also be curious to know if that takes care of it. I don't have them on my HD1000, but I owned and returned two CG65's that has the same problem, and there's a couple of other posts as well where folks mention having weird diamond shaped artifacts on their footage.

IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 7:55 AM   #6

In my Cancun footage there's lot of zoomed in shots of blue sky. I looked over the clips and can say that I do *not* have the diamonds in my camera so I think he just got one from a bad production run or something.

Rev.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:18 PM   #7

That's interesting. I've never noticed that on any of my vids. But I'll be looking for it going further.

Good luck with your exchanged HD1000.

Btw, what type of outdoor footage are you looking to rec.?

I'm going to be hiking/camping the NY/CT border this Fri - Sat. and hope to get some good footage to bring home and use to learn how to use Sony Vegas...which I've been dragging my feet with forever now it seems.

I'm hoping to have some good edited footage for everyone's viewing pleasure!

again, good luck with your new unit!

www.vimeo.com/stephman
Stephman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 11:58 PM   #8

My CG65 is extraordinarily susceptible to artifacts on the images, just this size and shape, when I'm taking video with sun falling on the lens and there is dust on the lens. If there's lots of stuff on it, there are many (12-20) such spots, in a variety of colors. It has to be kept perfectly clean.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 10:04 PM   #9

The artifact issue has been resolved. I returned the camera to Amazon and got a replacement. The turnaround was 4 days. Amazon Rocks.

The new camera doesn't have the artifacts.

I'm using the HD1000 to shoot primary outdoor activities. Hikes, etc. Here's a sample.

http://www.vimeo.com/1042295

Unfortunately, I had to down convert the footage using MPEG Streamclip so I could edit it on my slow slow iMac.

--- J
Old May 22, 2008, 9:30 AM   #10

Great to hear it all worked out! And very nice footage and editing by the way

Rev.