Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:17 AM   #1

Hello,

could u please guy tell me whatis the depth dimensions of the Sanyo Xacti HD1000 ?

Also, what is in terms of video quality, the difference between the sanyo hd1000 and a hd minidv video quality?

thank u
marcolisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:50 AM   #2

The dimensions are listed on page 215 of the manual (page 230 in Acrobat Reader):

http://www.sanyo.de/produkte_daten/d...amera_EN_E.pdf

It says the depth is 1.42in (36mm). As for the quality, I don't understand your reference of HD miniDV. If you mean HD camcorders that use miniDV tapes then the quality is pretty much the same except miniDV camcorders film HD at 1440x1080 with a 1.33 pixel aspect ratio (squashed). TheHD1000 does the full 1920x1080.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:54 PM   #3

Hi,tcx for the reply.

Yes , I mean high definition minidv camcorders.

So what are the differences in quality of the videos between the 2 ?

It seems that the hd100 is even better of an HD minidv camcorder.

I thought that the higher fps of the minidv , would make a difference in comparison to the lower fps of the hd100

tx
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:39 AM   #4

marcolisi wrote:
Quote:
I thought that the higher fps of the minidv , would make a difference in comparison to the lower fps of the hd100
For one, that frame rate of MiniDV is still the standard 60i - 60 interlaced fields in 1/30th of a second. So it's the standard NTSC frame rate just as is the HD1000. Some of the cameras can emulate the slower film like mode of24 frames per second but it's kind of a gimmick mode, not a true progressive 24p image. So the frame rates are the same except the HD1000 also does a higher frame rate which is 1280x720 at 60 *frames* (not fields) per second.

As for quality, well that's entirely subjective. Every miniDV cam I've seen does it's HD at 1440x1080 (instead of 1920x1080)which means you're losing horizontal resolution. I've read it's a limitation of the miniDV format but I can't confirm the accuracy of that. Regardless,a large amount of HD camcorder enthusiasts have claimed the quality to be superb and many have said the quality of the Canon HV20 is still superior to the HD1000. I've never used it personally but I have seen plenty of footage online and the footage is excellent. However, I've gotten plenty of equally excellent footage from my HD1000 so I'd say they're pretty equal - but that's merely my opinion,others will disagree.

All in all I can simply tell you the quality of footage from the HD1000 *is* HD quality. It won't give you pictures that look as razor sharp and clear as on some broadcast TV shows but you have to understand it's a tiny$660 consumer camcorder and not a large professional one costing many thousands of dollars. So it'll depend what you intend to use it for. I use mine for vacation vidoes and it's simply fantastic. If you want to make amateur films and such look to spend more for a camera with a manual focus ring and more features.

A lot of us have posted footage so if you really want to see check them out. You may need the MP4 codec for the files that arestraight out of the camera. I have footage from my Hawaii trip that I will be posting this weekend. Anyhow, hope this helps.

Rev.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:24 AM   #5

Hi, and thank u for your unswers. I really appreciate your feedback.

I am really interested in the 60fps video quality of the hd1000.

Ihave a canon hv10, that does a great job under great light conditions, but kind of sucks under low light conditions and also does not have the 60 fps feature.

Howis the hd1000 in low light ?

Can I record in the hd1000 , some manual setting to optimize the low light feature and store them in the camera so that , everytime that I turn the camera on , it will give me the same setting for low light, without me needing to recall the setting, searching through the menu of the camera ?

Do u know where I could find some 60fps video samples ?

thank u

Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:37 PM   #6

Hi Marcolisi. I will be posting some video files today in 720/60p from my Hawaii trip so you can see the quality of 60p - motion is remarkly smooth! It's a great video mode. As for low light... to be honest nearly every consumer level camcorder is going to be somewhat dissappointing in low light. These cameras simply aren't professional so, while you can obtain decent footage in low light, it won't be great and will nearly always be less than most people's expectations.

The HD1000 has a feature called Exposure Correction that you canuse to brighten up low light scenes and I've personally found it to be a huge help in making indoor and low light footage look a heck of a lot better than the default EV. So what I do is when indoors under not so great lighting I will raise the exposure correction to whatever level I think is best. For most indoor shots I will use something like +0.9 and for outdoor night shots I go all the way up to +1.8. Again, there will be noise and grain the higher you increase itbut at least you can see what you're filming! Shots where it's too dark to see anything are worthless so it can make a huge difference. I also think it depends on what you're using the camera for. I got mine for vacation footage primarily. If you're looking to do more serious stuff like amateur films you might want something more professional. People have done wonderful things with the HD1000 like music videos, interviews, documentaries, festival recordings, etc and have shown you can get fantastic results with it. A lot of those people thoughare a bit more professional than the average camcorder toting Joe. So your mileage may vary. To me, for what I've already gotten out of my camera (two vacations of footage) I can honestly say the HD1000 was *well worth* the $680 I paid for it! Again, depends on what you plan to do with it and how much patience you have. You can play with the manual settings and see how much better the footage can be than leaving everything on auto. Too many people out there simply want to leave everything on auto then complain when the footage isn't up to their expectations. Some return their cameras in disgust not even realizing they could've dramatically improved their footage if they simply tried learning the camera and the various settings. Anyhow, how this helps. Oh, and I always suggest buying from a place with a good return policy so if you find a camera isn't for you then you can return or exchange it for another.

Rev.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:50 PM   #7

Thank u very very much.

I would really appreciate if u could upload some videos taken at 60 fps and maybe also in low light situation

Thnak u so much again