Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:52 AM   #11

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
Herbs,
I opted for a camcorder as well. I sent back the HD1000 and bought the Canon HF100 (it was a little cheaper than the HD1000). Difficult to figure out the AVCHD data handling for 24p, but once I had done so, it is a dream to use. The Optical Image Stabilization and instant focus are just so much better than the HD1000.

That said, as long as Sanyo haven't limited my 1080p shooting to 38 minutes, and have fixed the low light performance, I will probably buy an HD1010 too. I don't see any confirmation in the material on line at the present...
I guess you meant the HF10 from canon versus HF100 from canon. because the HD1000 is much cheaper than even the HF100 let alone the HF10.
evangelionpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:04 AM   #12

From what I read in the comments section the slow motion is at a much lower resolution - something like 448x336 (1.33 aspect ratio as well). Also what is up with this?:

New 1920 x 1080, 30 fps mode allows further possibilities with Full HD and computers (when in Full-SHQ 30 fps/12 Mbps mode)

This appears to be a 1920x1080 30p mode but why then is the data rate still 12mbps? 60i and 30p should be technically the same data contained within the same time frame. It just in 60i two fields of a frame get processed in 1/30th of a second rather than the whole frame at once in 1/30th of a second.

Yeah, I agree... a lot of the things could've been done in a firmware upgrade. I know they can bump up the data rate. It would actually be easier on the cameras CPU as it would have to do less compressing. I don't care about the slow motion at all, 720 60p does pretty well enough for me when slow mo'd in video editing software. Nor do I care about face chaser in video.

A real upgrade for me would be:

1.1920x1080 30p (or higher) at 14mbps (or higher) data rate

2. Optical Image Stabilization

3. Better focusing

So the new cam claims better focusing which is a plus but unless 1 & 2 are also met I think I'll hold off.

Trevmar, the Canon is another great option and will likely satisfy most. For me though there are a few deal breakers about the Canon HF100 and those are:

1. Only 2.1mp 16:9 photos. (my Xacti shoots 3.5mp in this mode)

2. No 720 60p mode. (60p looks wonderful and it fantastic for fast motion filming)

3. No backup of data to an external hard drive. (since my Xacti does this I only need one 16gb card and can record enough to fill my 80gb external drive. It saves on buying pricier SDHC cards plus I can simply use the external drive as a backup for piece of mind if I don't fill up the card)

Lastly there's the size which, although still very small, is still not quite as small as the HD1000. I didn't list that as a deal breaker cause it's not. I would still be happy with it's slightly larger size. But it is nice to have something as small as the HD1000.

So unfortunately, the HF100 won't work out for *everyone* but I'm sure it will be perfect for most. I tell you though... I sure would like the OIS! :G

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:06 AM   #13

evangelionpunk wrote:
Quote:
I guess you meant the HF10 from canon versus HF100 from canon. because the HD1000 is much cheaper than even the HF100 let alone the HF10.
Depends on where you buy it. When the HF100 came out it was like $799 but the price has now dropped on most sites to like $680 or so. The HD1000 is something like $669 or so on Amazon (though the prices changes often).

Rev.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:22 AM   #14

I paid $635 from 6thAve for my HF100. Everything went smoothly with the transaction, no grey market, everything above board...

Rev, the 60p mode is a mixed blessing. For the type of stuff I am filming it is actually more important to have the excellent motion blur of the 24p and 30p modes on the HF100. Sanyo do this reasonably well, as there is the 15p mode on the HD1000 which blurs quite well, and it is possible to fix the 30p shutter speed at 1/30, if one is careful. This is a personal preference thing, and also that I generally target web publishing, where the data rate is limited. Motion blur helps hide the low frame rate. I agree that it would be nice to have a high frame rate available when one needs it. The 1080 mode on the HF100 is 60i. So the HD1010 is clearly better (1080p), as long as the motion blur/shutter speed control issue can be managed on the HD1010 and the compression is good.

The Canon OIS is superb. So is the instant focus. Actually, the focus is even more of a boon than the OIS, and together they really make things easy. As for hard drives, I just keep a few 16Gig SDHC cards in my pocket. At about $60 each these days it really is not much more expensive than DV tapes used to be, and they are recyclable, which DV tapes are really not.. I then copy the 16Gig cards to a small 250Gig external hard drive connected to my laptop. Transfer rate is about 1Gig per minute.

Note that the specifications for the HD1010 actually show an operating current which is lower than the HD1000. Maybe a die shrink on the CPU they use? That may have given a little extra speed as well...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:20 PM   #15

Looks like Sanyo is taking a page out of Motorola Razr's guidebook: make a good product, now rest and hope other people don't catch up while we milk this design
3ccdmbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:21 PM   #16

Looks like Sanyo is taking a page out of Motorola Razr's guidebook: make a good product, now rest and hope other people don't catch up while we milk this design
3ccdmbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 3:09 PM   #17

Despite the false impression given by the identikit design, if all is true, then this does look like a major improvement over the current model.

I will be seriously disappointed if we don't at least get an upgrade featuring the new compression algorithm.

Have they also now sorted the software bundle as theyinclude ‘Nero 8 Essentials for SANYO', enabling fun Full HD video playback and editing.

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...010/index.html

Burlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 3:23 PM   #18

Are you sure about that as every prior version of Nero Essentials was a hugely stripped down product. I don't seem to recall my Nero 7 Essentials offering video editing. Either way, Nero has gone downhill and is no longer the sleek efficient software it used to be. I have Nero 8 full and it crashes, fails to do things it features (Like burn an AVCHD disc to standard DVD), etc. I certainly wouldn't call it a major improvement yet as we still don't know if the claims of better focusing and low light performance are true. Even Sanyo's original marketing of the HD1000 touted it like it's performance in low light is godly. I think it's good but they sure make everything sound like it performs flawlessly - but then again *all* manufacturers do this!

The slow motion feature at 448x336 is kinda useless IMO and I think the face chaser in video feature is also kinda useless so long as the camera's focusing issues have been resolved - though I have to admit I really never have any issues focusing on people. It's usually far away scenerythat can tend to make my camera act up on occasion.

Eh, I'd just like them to release a firmware with a higher bitrate and with 1080p of some form. I'd be extremely ecstatic.

Rev.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 5:21 PM   #19

I just tried the trial Nero 8 with my HD1000 and it doesn't recognise the native files only ones I've converted already, so is the new 'Nero 8 for Sanyo' really different just for Sanyo or have they changed the files produced by the HD1010 (or am I just doing something wrong).
Burlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 5:30 AM   #20

I wonder if there is a HD2000 coming anytime soon. It does seem a bit unfair of Sanyo not to give a firmware upgrade that would give HD1000 users some of the new features that the HD1010 has if possible but then again its like the HD1 and the HD1A.

I'd like the new features but I'm not gonna spend another fortune for small changes. Not good for your customers Sanyo, things like this will make me reconsider buying the xacti range again!!! Take heed!!!
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote