Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:44 AM   #31

anybody seen any samples of the 448x336 300fps video?
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:13 AM   #32

Interesting.It appearsthe camerahas a "much" (?)faster image processor chip, so I guess that is why a firmware update alone can'tcut it. Butit doesfeel like we arestuck in the new crazy gadget economy, very much like all of Apple's products,a rapid sucession ofimpossible to keep up with new products. :?

The Turk, I just looked and found HD1010 slo-mo videos ofa monkey on the digiblo blog (300fps monkey video 1;300fps monkey video 2). There is also a1920x1080 video of a squirrel there.

...and I also founda video of a TV showing a video of the slo-moon Impress Watch: :lol:
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:56 AM   #33

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
It appearsthe camerahas a "much" (?)faster image processor chip, so I guess that is why a firmware update alone can'tcut it.
I don't think the new chip is much faster, 448x336 is significantly less resolution than 1920x1080 HD. Standard widescreen DVD video resolution at 480i is 6x less resolution than 1080i. Add to that this new mode on the camera isn't widescreen, it's 4:3 so there are even less pixels involved andthere is no audio so it's even less data to process.So, the processing requirements aren't as great as they'd seem even given 300fps. From what I've read the chip is indeedan improved chip, but if it were significantly improved I'd expect a 1920x1080/60p mode. Can you picturewhat an advantage they'd have with that spec!I'm actually bewildered that they didn't allow the 1920x1080/30p mode to run at 14mbps, only the 1080/60i mode allows the new 14mbps data rate. Anyone know what the retail price is going to be around? I see the HD1000 has now dropped to $599 on Amazon.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:47 PM   #34

Thanks Caelum, thats a great find. I have to say, I'm not that impressed andam however quite annoyed that this new model is out since I only got my HD1000 a few weeks ago, not good, not good at all. Am I right in saying that the only other improvement is the 14Mbps if full hd mode and some gimmicky face recognition in video mode? what a joke!

I expect a HD2000 will be released with 300fps recording at 640*480 or similar. I think Sanyo are taking the p**s with regard to how many models are being released in such a short space of time with minor improvements.

I do love my xacti and have had the C1, C5, CG65 and now the HD1000 but I think my love affair with the xacti range is finishing as I am getting fed up with these minor upgrades. Think my next cam will not be a xacti, I cant afford to buy and sell constantly, I'm losing money!

Sanyo, get a grip! You have lost my vote!!!!
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:51 AM   #35

Indeed, Turk. Buying Sanyo is getting a bit like playing the stock market. I sent back the HD700 (not really HD) and then the HD1000 (focus useless at low light, exposure flashing at low light, didn't record for long enough) because I felt there had to be something better around the corner. Maybe the Sony TG1 - but no, that one didn't deliver on its promise. I am currently using a Canon HF100 (not much bigger and heavier than the HD1000 but the 24p is superb indoors) and two Kodak cameras - V1073 and V1253, both of which take quite good HD video - the V1073 even has optical stabilization. These are especially good when somebody might become nervous if they felt a camcorder was in use:? The Kodak is just a camera - right??

Oh well.. I will probably end up getting an HD1010 because the joystick AE control and AF lock is so nice. But the Canon has a joystick on its display panel, which is right at my finger tips. Maybe I will get used to it before the HD1010 hits the stores:-)
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 4:06 AM   #36

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
Oh well.. I will probably end up getting an HD1010 because the joystick AE control and AF lock is so nice. But the Canon has a joystick on its display panel, which is right at my finger tips. Maybe I will get used to it before the HD1010 hits the stores:-)
The HD1000 has the AE and AF lock on the joystick.....
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:22 AM   #37

TheTurk wrote
Quote:
The HD1000 has the AE and AF lock on the joystick.....
Indeed, all the modern Sanyos do. Its one of the things I really like. Along with their decent stereo microphones. The external audio in the HD1000 could have been better controlled, but at least it was there... Maybe the HD1010 designers have had time to put on a few finishing touches to the User Interface... We will have to wait to see...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:14 PM   #38

Are you sure you can ae lock as well as af lock? interested to know how the ae lock works?

thanks
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 3:20 PM   #39

To address all the issues some of you are already having with a camcorder that has not been released yet, I find it neccessary to bring to light the important issues many seem to overlook or dont know about:

1. No, it's not mostly a firmware upgrade as most seem to think. The HD1010 overall, has better compression ratio for better quality files, better focus, more features that a simple update couldn't add.

2. The focus huntingissue have been addressed. Now, how better it is will only be proven when we can review it.

3. It can now shoot in 1920x1080 in PROGESSIVE MODE. That is huge. The rate is 12mbps and not 14 because Progessive uses less data than interlaced to display the same frame, contrary to what someone claimed on this board. Clear and simple.

4. 720p @ 60fps is still on board. So no need to

5. Yes slow motion will be at a lower resolution because it's virtually impossible to record 300 frames within a second at larger resolutions given the size of this cam. If you find it useless, too bad for you. I think it'll be great at sports events.

6. Low light performance has been increased. Only a review will tell us how much better it will be.

I think this upcoming sanyo will be great :-). I think it is not merely a firmware upgrade as some store staff (70% of them never have a clue ) would have you belive.

My HV10 will be retiring soon : )
helriser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 4:54 PM   #40

Wow, pretty cockyresponsethere.You say, "I find it neccessary to bring to light the important issues many seem to overlook or dont know about" yet I can't see how you can proclaim yourself to be more knowledgeable than anyone else here on a camcorder that hasn't been released yet. I've read your post and all I garnered from it was that you'retaking all the infoon the Sanyo website as truth. Every company markets their new products to be much more superior and to have all problems resolved. You won't see any info on the original HD1000 site mentioning focusing problems, poor stabilization,poor low lightperformance, etc. Instead, they make it out like the camera works perfectly in every way. They even say EIS is better than OIS since it handles rotational shake. And theyclaim wonderful low light performance.So don't go taking everything they say about the HD1010 as being 100% true. I can't disagree with you more that a number of these features can't be had with a firmware upgrade. For one, the focus hunting *CAN* be fixed with a firmware upgrade! You do NOT need a new chip to resolve this as it's a software based control. I also know they can increase the bitrate to 14mbps since it would require the processor to do *less* work since it wouldn't need to compress as aggressively. Lastly, I know they can add a 1080 progressive mode via a firmware update as well. But, to break down some of the things you said I'll take it by your numbers with my response aftereach:

1. No, it's not mostly a firmware upgrade as most seem to think. The HD1010 overall, has better compression ratio for better quality files, better focus, more features that a simple update couldn't add.

Really? Well a better compression algorithm can indeed be addedvia a firmware update. The firmware is the camera operating system & software. If you improve the codecyou can add it in an update. Focus is also controlled via software, so an update would fix the issues.

3. It can now shoot in 1920x1080 in PROGESSIVE MODE. That is huge. The rate is 12mbps and not 14 because Progessive uses less data than interlaced to display the same frame, contrary to what someone claimed on this board. Clear and simple.

Clear and simple? OK, well explain tous *why* exactly progressive scan would require less data than interlaced. Please go on and explain. If you take the data in 60i and 30p they should technically carry the same degree of data with the only difference being interlaced records half a frame at 1/60th a second and the next half at 1/30th where as progressive does the whole frame in 1/30th of a second. It still equates to one full frame being displayed within 1/30th of a second.

5. Yes slow motion will be at a lower resolution because it's virtually impossible to record 300 frames within a second at larger resolutions given the size of this cam. If you find it useless, too bad for you. I think it'll be great at sports events.

Sure, some people will love playing with slow-mo in this resolution but fact is it's alo-resweb based resolution. It's even lower than standard DVD resolution. Heck at 336 vertical linesit's evenlower than standard TV resolution.

6. Low light performance has been increased. Only a review will tell us how much better it will be.

Again, you're quoting Sanyo marketing. We'll see when it actually comes out. And even still, their website says they adjusted the gamma and color curves to make low lightperformance better. Well, you can make those changes via a firmware update. You do NOT need a new chip for those changes!

"I think this upcoming sanyo will be great :-). I think it is not merely a firmware upgrade as some store staff (70% of them never have a clue ) would have you belive. "

Staff, what staff? Your post isoff based and a bit condescending. People are just complaining that Sanyo could release a firmware update to resolve a number of issues they claim are fixed in the HD1010. I don't really see your reasoning.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote