Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:48 PM   #51

Rev,
The 1080/30p mode is 1440x1080, the same as HDV video. This mode can be selected from 12 / 7 / 5 Mbps. Only the 1920x1080x60i has a 17Mbps data rate.

I haven't shot any 60I (except a little test footage). I was surprised that the 24p mode, which is what I have been using, delivers an excellent image at 7Mbps. I nevertheless decided to use the 12 Mbps data rate, as my 16 Gig SDHC cards each give 2hr 51 mins of nonstop shooting at 12Mbps, which allows me plenty of safety margin (IMO).

I agree with you that the 1080i and 1080p data rates, at the same pixel resolution resolution, should be comparable. If anything, I think the 60i is more complex to compress, as there is slight movement between each 60i frame. I can clearly see this in Virtualdub when the de-interlacer highlights the motion areas. I am sure the AVCHD design engineers know more about this than I do

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:34 PM   #52

the camera is not that great for what you pay, other then somewhat smaller size then say highly rated Canon HF100 which is pretty much the same price (you can get one for $600)

Here is why...

Absolutely horrible in low light, not just focusing, but the noise and anything over ISO400 is plain bad.

The camera is light and therefore OIS is a must otherwise using 10x zoom becomes a nightmare without OIS.

So, I really don't see the point of this camera anymore when better alternatives are available for the same price even if they are slightly bigger in size. If I wanted absolutely pocketable camera I would go with a new Sony TG1.
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:06 PM   #53

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
The 1080/30p mode is 1440x1080, the same as HDV video. This mode can be selected from 12 / 7 / 5 Mbps. Only the 1920x1080x60i has a 17Mbps data rate.
Wow, really!? Man, I thought the cam could do 1920x1080/30p at 17mbps. Huh, that's really interesting to know, thanks for that info!

@Klas: Sell your camera and buy something else then Comparativelyspeaking I would in no way agree that it's low light performance is "absolutely horrible". The low light capability of the HD1000 is significantly better than any miniDV camera I've owned before. Those all had much higher noise present. However, my old S-VHS tape based camcorder did perform a bit better in low light but it had even worse focusing issues than the HD1000 (in low light).

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:47 AM   #54

In case this interlace question hasn't been answered.

Interlace does require more data are normally, for movement (compression algorithms can get around non moving images properly). The reason why is that it presents an a natural image that a compression algorithm has to compensate for (get around). There is no smooth transition over odd and even lines, as the object has moved from where it was on the even frame liens to the odd frame lines. Not only this, but objects moving at different rates move to a different degree to each other. So prediction of what belongs to what becomes hard too. I think they used to give up and compress the fields like they were separate frames (but when features move from an odd lien to even to odd, you get non-continuity and flashing. Event eh objects themselves will lend up staircasey to my guess). Ambarella has done some sufficient work to reducing the gap between progressive but is still there. That is from my limited understanding.

People say that interlace is no problem because you can de-interlace, but I had a link sometime ago of a leading world expert in de-interlace technology saying when he retired that de-interlacing simply doesn't work. I imagine that it will make object movement a bit hard to de-interlace, but then again that grows the faster it moves, and maybe noticing it will too.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:53 AM   #55

Forgot, I finished my review of the footage at watch impress in the other thread. Not a great difference, I agree it is better, but could be better again.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:32 PM   #56

Thanks for the great explanation. It kind of confirmed my suspicions that I really do want to keep shooting at either 720p or 1080p.
Web Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:53 AM   #57

I remember now, that in one of the white paper documents over at ambarella.com they say they can achieve similar quality in 1080p60 compared to 1080i for something like 20% more data rate (but I am unsure, it could have referred to something else to do with 1080i, but it also comes down to at what quality level, these things might vary depending on the amount of lossiness in the compression and complexity, so may well be a "how long is a piece of string" like thing).
Old Jul 1, 2008, 3:52 PM   #58

My hd1010 will be here tomorrow. Ordered from florida where the acc are about half the price of new york dealers.

DM/ St. Louis MO
david munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 6:15 PM   #59

Sorry if I'm really out of it here - but what is "acc".
Web Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:41 PM   #60

Does any body know where to download VPC-HD1010
INSTRUCTION MANUAL I found VPC-HD1000?

I have the following questions regarding

Xacti ZDigital Movie Camera VPC-HD1000/VPC-HD1010

1- Can the camera start recording Standing on Docking station.

2- Does the LCD Monitor have to be open when shooting film?

3- Can the camera start recording with LCD Monitor (Viewfinder) closed.

About the size of video clips, on Page 218 of INSTRUCTION MANUAL it is
stated that:

"When recording a video clip using an 8 GB card, recording terminates
when the size of the file currently being recorded reaches approx. 4 GB."

4- Does this mean shooting continues to the next 4 GB segment of the
memory card? Or does it mean that the recording stops all together?

5- I know that that you can use an external hard disk ( be connected to
the cammera via USB connection in Docking station ) to copy video clip
to to HDD and back to SD memory.

Can the external hard disk(HDD) be used for extra storage place
when/while shooting? If yes would the external HDD need external power supply or could it be powered from Docking station?

What brand of SD memory card should I use. The fastest I've seen is SnaDisk with 15 MB/S. Is that enough for 60 fps? How about 300 fps?

Thanks

Tom
Tommyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote