Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:21 AM   #1

Just 2 days after purchase of my dmx-hd1000 Sanyo released the updated version called VPC-HD1010 or DMX-HD1010.

From what I gather by talking to the rep the only difference between the cameras is some extra gimmicky feature called face chaser. Other than that he said the video focus and algorithm is slightly better and the recording bit rate has been improved to 14mbps instead of 12mbps and that its available in black and darker silver instead of black and light shiny silver like the vpc/dmx - hd1000 and that sdhc support is now to 32gb though maybe he thought the hd1000 would work too for 32gb because 16 definately works.
He categorically stated there is absolutely no other changes!!!! NONE!!! No hardware changes or anything else!!!!!

Otherwise according to him there are no other differences and he said the hardware and chipsets are EXACTLY the same and he doesnt understand why they didnt just come out with a firmware update to do those improvements instead of bringing in a whole socalled "new" model.

He said though I only bought mine 2 days ago that it wouldnt be worth it to me to get that model since its double the price!!!!!! and to him double the price to changes and improvements that could have been made via simple firmware upgrade doesnt make sense.

he also thought that maybe someone could hack the new firmware for the hd1010 to allow it to be used on the hd1000 because he doubted seriously canon would have left it open to be used on hd1000.

this all leads to A WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil::X:-x
evangelionpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:42 AM   #2

here is some more info http://gizmodo.com/5013325/sanyo-xac...ps-slow-motion
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:09 AM   #3

They claim that have new 300fps for slow motion video -- great news ever ..
second seem they addressed the issue of snow effect when firming video on low light condition ..
and bitrate up to normal 1080i at 14Mb ( old version 12Mb) will may help playersoftware run smothly ( not sure )

at last .. i going have holidays next week so I will keep my curent hd1000 till next month then will sell it out ( some of my street friends love it .. and they ever never buying from internet so the prices i going to give them will may not differ much )
then on plan i will may have hd1010 next month .. for slow motion .. :|

binhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:18 AM   #4

Any improvement to the focus ability in low light is actually a BIG DEAL for me
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:23 AM   #5

slow motion and better bit rate and better focusing etc big deal. All those could be firmware improvements. Why come up with a whole new camera and admit its only an UPGRADE?

Surely those improvements could be done using firmware update and though akihabara news states that sanyo is justifying the price due to slight hardware change WHAT CHANGES arent mentioned at all.

I bought mine just 2 damned days ago and specifically asked if a new one was on the way and was reassured none were. I paid about 46000Yen and these ones are RRP of around 120000Yen though Im sure it would sell closer to around maybe 100000Yen compared to USA RRP $799usd more likely to be sold around $700.

SUCKS BALLS. Seeing if the store will take it back since this new model will be sold from 20th June onwards and specifically was told nothing new etc would come out for a while.

ultimately for 2mbps more bit rate, 1080p recording though at 30fps, supposedly better focusing, slightly better night time video, slow motion and face chaser would it be worth paying 50,000Yen more (japanese pricing) ???
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:30 AM   #6

Face chasing in video, and a host of other smaller issues have been improved/added.
The good news is I received notification from Amazon just yesterday that they had credited my returned HD1000. Sometimes you can be lucky...

They still don't address the issue of maximum continuous shooting time in their press release, but hopefully they have fixed that one. It will be interesting to actually test the new "low light" ability, because the HD1000 was abysmal (IMHO) compared to my HF100 and my V1073.

I downloaded the video from Akihabaranews.com. It is a 9Mbps 30fps video in HD SHQ 720p. Only 54 minutes of recording time is shown on the display, maybe they only had a 4 gig card in it, or maybe Sanyo still haven't extended the recording time beyond the HD1000 limits. Sigh... At least my Canon HF100 can be used for longer events (3 hours+ continuous, using just one BP819 battery and one 16Gig SD card...)

Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:12 AM   #7

I just talked to the shop I got my stuff from and was told I have 2 options:

1-bring everything back and get it exchanged on release date on June 21st or so and pay the huge difference and they said since its brand new they would almost have no reason to discount it soooo much and at best I might be able to get it for like 100,000Yen at the veryyyyy best (so they said)

2-bring everything back soon and get a full refund on it all. end

they didnt ask whether it was used or anything else and neither am i going to mention that to them.

Wonder what these new models will sell for on Ebay from places like HK?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:16 AM   #8

Some links:
http://www.sanyodigital.com/product.aspx?v=22

http://tinyurl.com/3k2k6h

http://tinyurl.com/67kewl

Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:17 AM   #9

I'm torn between this and the samsung hmx20, i'm more inclinded towards the samsung which has a 1/1.8 sony sensor. As I already have the cg65 and hd700 for portable video and samsung can be had £450 here, oh too much choice.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:33 AM   #10

Herbs,
I opted for a camcorder as well. I sent back the HD1000 and bought the Canon HF100 (it was a little cheaper than the HD1000). Difficult to figure out the AVCHD data handling for 24p, but once I had done so, it is a dream to use. The Optical Image Stabilization and instant focus are just so much better than the HD1000.

That said, as long as Sanyo haven't limited my 1080p shooting to 38 minutes, and have fixed the low light performance, I will probably buy an HD1010 too. I don't see any confirmation in the material on line at the present...