Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:59 PM   #1

I am trying to research which camera to purchase.

Budget:

I am a college student, so I do not have money to just throw around. I treat this more like an investment – something that I want to last quite a few years. Let's say about $400 but hopefully a lil less. (This is inclusive of memory costs)

Use:

I am an architecture student who has to travel to locations for site planning. I need a small camera able to be easily carried with me so I can record video of the site for playback and be able to take pictures of the location. I am also active with a variety of sports. So, I would like the camera to be capable of successfully catching moving objects/persons. I would need the camera capable of use outside in sunny and overcast days and inside well lit areas – architecture studio class and home. I would also like, but not necessary, that I can take still shots while filming.

Light vs. Low-light:

I plan to mainly use this camera during sunny or overcast days outside. I wish also to use this camera in a well lit room inside. I know low-light or nighttime would be difficult to capture anything. Rarely will I have the need to record outside during night or inside in a low lit area.

Capacity:

I would like the ability to record at least a continuous hour while still having capacity for many still pictures.

Priorities:

I prefer the camcorder features over the still camera features. But I want the best of both worlds in terms of quality as much as possible

[line]

Research:

I know very little about the subject of camera specs and what is better than what. I am trying to read up on everything so that I can make an informed decision.

I know I do not want a camera like the Flip Ultra. That camera is too fixed. I need the options of being able to swap out a memory card to take more pictures or film. I also would like better quality pictures/film.

I looked into the Canon TX1; however, the MJPEG format killed it, though the quality of pictures and film from samples I was able to find online were quite nice.

The Xacti line from Sanyo seems to be the best bet:

VPC-CG65

This seems rather nice. Video quality from samples I was able to find turn out pretty good.

VPC-E1

This seems like just the CG65 but only waterproof. Maybe minor tweaks but basically just a waterproof CG65. This is accurate? Quality of films I could find were rather decent. I do not really need waterproof like this though.

VPC-CG9

This seems a bit better than the CG65 and E1, but not by much; however less expensive than the CG65 and definitely the E1. The film quality is really nice. And some still shots I was able to find were pretty nice as well.

However, other film samples I was able to find were rather poor. These were through youtube videos. Is this, though, because of some compression setting youtube utilizes? Do I just have to keep compression settings in check when formatting a video file from the camera?

Also, CG9 uses CMOS rather than CCD. Is this better?

VPC-HD2

This seems like a rather nice camera. I found some nice samples of film and stills. This is a bit above my budget, but is it worth taking the extra time and saving up for it? Is it really worth twice the price of the CG9?

VPC-HD1000

This is just waaay too much.Though it looks pretty nice.

It seems I am heavily leaning toward the VPC-CG9. I just wanted to know if I am heading in the right direction of if I should take another look at the CG65 or save for the HD2. Or is there something that I have missed completely?

Thank you for your time and concern.

chrispk313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:44 PM   #2

As I understood you don't need any HD Sanyo — it costs pretty much and the resolution of video doesn't make it easy to process the video on normal computer.

Among non-HD camcordres I suppose VPC (DMX) CG9 to be the best choice if you don't need or can hardly imagine the situation when you need waterproof abilities. CG9's video is much better than E1's and E2's (CA65 and CA8). Besides CG9's CMOS is one of the best on the market, and it is ready to work just in a second or so after turning on.

I've already have the greatest camcorder less than 1000$ can buy — Canon HV30,
but for quick, good quality, compact and easy video (and cheap nevertheless)— CG9 is the best!
mozgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:23 PM   #3

I recenty picked up the CA8, I believe the video should be as good as the CG9. They are supposed using the same sensor. Am I correct?

mozgi wrote:
Quote:
Among non-HD camcordres I suppose VPC (DMX) CG9 to be the best choice if you don't need or can hardly imagine the situation when you need waterproof abilities. CG9's video is much better than E1's and E2's (CA65 and CA8). Besides CG9's CMOS is one of the best on the market, and it is ready to work just in a second or so after turning on.
MP4-19B is offline   Reply With Quote