Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:28 PM   #1

Sorry for the double post. Please remove this thread.
Silik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:52 AM   #2

Hi Silik

I can't find the other thread with the hands on material. What's it like (compression, latitude, low noise, resolution, manual and set controls etc)?

Thanks.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 4:52 PM   #3

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Silik

I can't find the other thread with the hands on material. What's it like (compression, latitude, low noise, resolution, manual and set controls etc)?

Thanks.
A very short "hands on preview" from Akihabaranews.com
Silik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:40 AM   #4

Pity, i thought you might have had one . Those sorts of reviews often leave questions unanswered.

Thanks anyway.

Wayne.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:49 AM   #5

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Pity, i thought you might have had one . Those sorts of reviews often leave questions unanswered.
The camera supposedly won't be released till June 21st so you'll have to wait till then to get the commonconsumer reviews. I really wouldn't trust many of the "site sponsored" type reviews anyhow.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:36 AM   #6

Remember, cameras do have the habit of turning up before release in peoples hands (I even remember a local shop that had been told by the factory of one camera brand that he could have cameras before official release). Just thought I was lucky to have one of these people here. well, time to check youtube to see if Sanyo has posted preliminary footage . I hope this camera is as great as it seems.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:15 AM   #7

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
well, time to check youtube to see if Sanyo has posted preliminary footage
Hehe, pardon my giggling but I think we're all awareYoutube is no place to check for footage. Youtube re-encodes all footage to really low bitrate garbage quality. Even Vimeo, which is far superior to Youtube, still hasnoticeably lessquality than original raw clips straight from HD camcorders. I hear ya that a lot of people get cams ahead of time. I'm just saying most that do are meant to give some form of good review. Even the bad reviews try to lend a good light in some way. So, until the cam is in consumers hands I'd say we won't get the full picture. That's all I'm trying to get at

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:23 AM   #8

We know that, but are you aware that by the looks of it, a Sanyo insider has posted test footage of cameras in times past, in the months before release , and maybe even be a forum member here. Sure you can't get a good review out of it, but you can get some idea of how bad the rolling shutter is, how the IS and focus and exposure is behaving, and that noise and latitude is going to be no better than this. A trained eye can get an awful lot out of even that, and even more out of original footage. Anyway, seen that original footage above, and still not good enough, we need bright burning summer midday sun through contrasty scenery to see how this camera can handle this. Even mid winter sun from a clear sky is better than the overcast stuff doing the rounds. As it is, I am still seeing some apparent chroma aberration (but not as much, as the light is not as strong).