Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Hello guys,

I have a canon hv10 , and I would like to know how the Sanyo hd1000 can compare to it.

I mean which are the pro and cons of the 2 cameas ?

tx
marcolisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2008, 2:14 PM   #2

I have two HV20s, which have better low-light performance than the HV10, but not by much. There is no comparison between the HD1000 at low light and the HV20. Maybe 3-4 f-stops when compared by color rendition, 2-3 f-stops compared by noise. This is with the HD1000 at 1/15 sec 30p, HV20 at 1/24 24p.

There is so much room for improvement in this area that the new HD1010 claims to have improved low-light performance, so Sanyo know it is a problem area:-)

As for control, etc, the Canon interface and Sanyo interface paradigms are different as chalk and cheese. There is no Zebra in the HD1000, but it does have EV control (lost when it goes into standby). Canon's exposure modification is kludgey to use, but the Canon's neutral density wheel makes the control of aperture far smoother than the HD1000.

I just bought an HF100 and sent back the HD1000. Primary reason was that my HD1000 occasionally (even when filming) when into a flashing-exposure routine when its aperture control went haywire. But there were plenty of secondary reasons. The HD1000 external mic input has no level display and uses AVC whether you like it or not. The maximum continuous record time of the HD1000 was 43 minutes on 1080i - and only 55 minutes on 720p - that is ridiculous (the HF100 records 3+ hrs continuous on a 16Gig SD card).

Oh - and Sanyo can't focus in low light or difficult conditions. The Canon dual-focus system is far better.

Would I use an HD1000 if I had one? Yes. But I preferred the HF100 when I had to choose what to do with my money. For quick shots the HD1000 is good. The joystick control of EV (etc) is excellent. If only you could adjust EV while the film is rolling - what were you thinking, Sanyo???

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:20 PM   #3

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
The maximum continuous record time of the HD1000 was 43 minutes on 1080i - and only 55 minutes on 720p - that is ridiculous (the HF100 records 3+ hrs continuous on a 16Gig SD card).
Just for the record, to avoid confusion, the maximum file size for any video file is 4gig on the SDHC card due to the FAT32 file system. I know you're aware if this Trevmar, I'm only statingthis for the other poster.I recall you saying in the past that when the Canon hits 4gb it simply creates a new file and keeps recording. So you don't get one single file that contains the full recording.I also recall you saying they'reseemless so they can be joined in editing software for a true continuous file so all things being equal you can still get true continuous recording, it just requires you to join clips in editing. The HD1000 however stops recording once it hits the 4gb file size. So you'd have to monitor the recording time and manually stop and restart recording which will result in a few seconds gap time in recording. So with the HD1000 you can't get true continuous recording no matter what you do - if you absolutelyneed to record for longer than 43 minutes non-stop.

I'd also like to say I think Sanyo's claim of better low light performance for the HD1010 is probably a load of BS. All they said was they adjusted the gamma and color curves for better low light. Being how they touted, in marketing, how well the original HD1000 is in low light I think it's fair to say a lot of the claims are simplymarketing hype. But who knows... well see when it comes out

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:40 PM   #4

Thank u guys for your replies.

As far as I understand, even my hv10 is better in low light in comparison to the hd1000.

What I would like to buy the hd1000 for is for :

1)ultracompact style/dimensions

2) 60fps

I guess there is nothing that could be:

High def and 60 fps in a so compact format.

Am I true ?

What do u think about the 60fps of the hd1000 ?

thank u again
marcolisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:00 PM   #5

The Sanyo HD1000 is a quality product. Solid and reliable (relatively).
Some of the newer low-cost hybrids also have 60p, and are ultracompact, at a fraction of the price. So you have a choice of quality or price. There is a forum discussing this at
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=92

Rev, most of the HDD camcorders have also mastered the 2gig or 4 gig file boundaries (the 2 gig due to some video format limitations, the 4 gig due, as you said, to FAT file system limitations). It is really something that Sanyo should have fixed by now. It precludes me from filming lectures, or indeed any event nominally running for an hour. Which is most of them, at least in my experience.

Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:28 PM   #6

Yeah, but Trevmar you have to understand that 90% or more of the people using these consumer camcorders don't need to record more than 43 minutes straight. I know you need to but most people use a tiny little cam like this for short takes here and there. I mean... so far the longest straight clip I've recorded was 24 minutes and before I stopped recording I was like, "Geez I recorded a lot... time to stop, relax, and have another beer." So for the greater majority of users this won't be a problem, though you seem tomake it like the company is insane for not thinking of a way to continue recording. Again, I understand how important this is to you, I'm merely pointing out that the common user of such a small consumer HD cam won't find themselves requiring a straight recording time longer than 43 minutes. And to be fair, there are lower quality recording modes that allow greater lenghts of recording time. Add to that miniDV had it's limitations too! I mean, how many miniDV cams do you know of that can record in *full HD* for longer than an hour or so without having to switch tapes?? It's a bit odd you never mention this limiting factor when talking about your HV20. :O

The original poster also mentioned he's interested in 60p which isn't present in the HF100. So, as I've said all along, each cam has it's pluses and minuses.

Rev.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:02 AM   #7

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
I mean, how many miniDV cams do you know of that can record in *full HD* for longer than an hour or so without having to switch tapes?? It's a bit odd you never mention this limiting factor when talking about your HV20.
With an 80 minute DV tape the HV20 recording limit is 80 minutes, which is the same as my old Sanyo-C6 gave me :-) Enough for a whole wedding ceremony, for example. Human concentration is limited to about 50 minutes. Lectures and ceremonies tend to try to not exceed that duration by too much.

But that is one reason why I bought the HF100, freedom from tape

My complaint about Sanyo's limited maximum recording length is that it is not technically hard to do, all the competitive HDD camcorders do it, as do all the AVCHD recorders. Sigh...

Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:32 AM   #8

Really... so *every* AVCHD camcorder allows non-stop continuous recording? Somehow I doubt the validity of that comment. And for the HDD cameras, well they can use any file system the want to avoid the file size limit. You mentioned recording wedding ceremonies... my wedding was recorded on a Canon Elura 60 and at no point was the straightrecordingtime anylonger than 30 minutes. Not even our actual marriage with the wedding vow exchangelasted longer than 30 minutes.

Look, I understand your stress of importance of needing such a long continuous recording time. All I'm trying to point out to you as that this is not all that relevant to the greatermajority of users. In all seriousness I've never seen anyone try to record the entire length of a wedding with a Sanyo HD1000. Matter of fact... I've never seen *anyone* that is to be considereda professional videographer using a Sanyo HD1000 to film a wedding. Have you? And to be completely honest I can't understand why anyone would find it so difficult to stop and restart recording during a pause in a lecture. The HD1000 can stop and restart recording in under 2 seconds! Most people will pause to breathe or turn a page in as much time. I simply can't see the problem.:?

Rev.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:01 AM   #9

Rev, AVCHD is by definition recorded as a Transport Stream. Wikipedia has the details
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

But look, I answered a question about the HV10 and the HD1000. This is hardly the place to flame me for giving a precise answer.

I know the HD1000 well. I was a member of this forum long before you joined, having used Sanyo since the days of the C6. Please show a little respect for my opinions.

Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:51 PM   #10

I'm sorry you feel I was "flaming" you. That was not my intention and my apologies for giving you that impression. I think I simply was making a valid point, that even cameras using miniDV had a finite amount of recoring time before requiring you stop recording to switch tapes. I was also trying to make light that this isn't even an issue to the majority of users out there. The wild flickering issue, which I've never yet experienced, seems to be far more critical asis the focus hunting.

Anyhow, I guess that's all I was really trying to get at and I think I made my point. I don't want to upset you further so I'll wrap it up.

Rev.