Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:11 PM   #1

Just interested in the video performance. Which one is the best - Sanyo HD700 or Samsung VP-HMX10? I use my Nikon D40 for pictures.
Silik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:54 PM   #2

I found a couple of Samsung videos on Vimeo, this one for example.

Edit: Samsung seems to have better video quality and a higher bitrate, 12 Mbit/s compared to Sanyo's 9 Mbit/s.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 5:45 PM   #3

I have a hd700 and did a test in a shop compared to the samsung hmx10, you are correct the samsung gave better picture quality it wasn't miles better but it was considerably better. But it will not fit into your trouser pocket like the sanyo will.
You might want to hold off buying the samsung hmx10 as the hmx20 is out soon and it has a sony 1/1.8 sensor. The sample on vimeo looks impressive.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:08 PM   #4

I guess you prefer size over video quality then?

I also love the HD700's small size and performance (from what I have seen in videos) but the quality of the Samsung video seems a bit sharper.

I was looking for the Samsung model earlier today here in Sweden but I could not find it. Seems to be on back order until august all over the country. I'm going to Germany next weekend so I will try to find it there and use my own SD card to record a sample clip. Will upload it to Vimeo if I find the camera.

I hope to find a HD700 in the same store so I can record identical samples for comparison.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:57 PM   #5

I had already purchased the hd700 before doing the test against the samsung, although I did consider it at the time. But the price was nearer the hd1000 price, in the uk I got my hd700 £250 where as the samsung was around £360 at the time of my purchase. The hmx10 has dropped to £330ish now, the hmx20 can be pre-ordered for £465.

Silik wrote:
Quote:
I guess you prefer size over video quality then?

I also love the HD700's small size and performance (from what I have seen in videos) but the quality of the Samsung video seems a bit sharper.

I was looking for the Samsung model earlier today here in Sweden but I could not find it. Seems to be on back order until august all over the country. I'm going to Germany next weekend so I will try to find it there and use my own SD card to record a sample clip. Will upload it to Vimeo if I find the camera.

I hope to find a HD700 in the same store so I can record identical samples for comparison.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:34 PM   #6

Ok!

I don't want to spend more than $650/£330 so the HMX20 is out of the question but the HD700 and the HMX10 are not.

I really hope to find them both in Germany so I can compare the footage before making my choice.