Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:01 PM   #1

I had to return my new Sanyo HD1000 because of a problem with the focus. However, other than that problem, I really liked it. Other owners said theirs did not have the same problem, so I think it was just my particular camera.

Now I have to decide if I want to get the HD1000 all over again, wait for the HD1010 and pay more money, or even get a Canon HF100, instead.

An advantage of the Sanyo HD1010 is that it is supposed to have better focusing. I think that it will shoot 1080p resolution, as well as the 1080i and 720p that the HD1000 shoots. Do I have that right?

On Amazon, you can preorder the HD1010 for $200 more than I would have to pay now for the HD1000. ($799 vs. $599).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Web Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:29 PM   #2

I have a strong feeling the HD1010 will drop in price within 1-2 months after it's release. The Canon HF100 did and I seriously think Sanyo will have a hard time trying to compete with that cam if theirs cost more.

Anyhow, to answer your question... it depends what you need. What exactly are you looking for in a cam? What are your needs? If the HD1000 had everything in it you wanted then go ahead and give the HD1010 a try and see if all the claims are true. Just remember to buy from a place with a good return policy so you can return it if you don't like it.

See, I think a camera like the HF100 is an excellent option, I've always like Canon's stuff. Before getting my HD1000 I had to choose between both. What made me go with the HD1000 was it's ultra small size, 3.5MP photos in 16:9 (which is what I shoot in now), backup to external hard drive, and 720 HD at 60 frames per second. Each of these features is not available on the HF100 so I decided to go with the HD1000 and am very happy with my purchase. Ifit were more important to me to havethe ability to monitor and adjust audio gain level (great for live band recording!), Optical Image Stabilization, or a 24p mode I would've taken the HF100. I wanted one camera that would do both video and photos and the HD1000 does it nicely for me. The HF100 does 2.1MP 16:9 photos. My last digital camera was a Canon A40 which was 2MP so I didn't want more 2MP photos, I wanted somethinghigher res.

So again, in the end it comes down to what you're looking for in a cam. Write down a list of what you want out of a cam. Then look at the specs and see which will do all you want. If another cam like the HF100 does what you want, get it and you'll be very happy. If everything you want is in the HD1010 give it a try. Like I said, if you still find it insufficient you can return it Best of luck!

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 1:52 AM   #3

Thanks. What you said really helped me focus on what it was that was lurking in the back of my mind. I really do like the way that the Sanyo takes higher res stills. That means that not only is it nice and small to carry, but you don't really need to have a separate still photo camera along with you in most cases. It's a nice extra feature that I can have a 10x zoom for my stills, too.

I also like shooting progressive, instead of the interlaced, video. I just found out that you can't do that with the Canon. I also have to admit that the form factor of the Sanyo really appeals to me.

Now I just have to decide if I want to wait for the Sanyo HD 1010 - and be without a video camera for about a month - or just reorder the HD 1000. Too bad it's not ready now.

Old Jun 18, 2008, 6:42 AM   #4

Web Teacher wrote:
Quote:
I also like shooting progressive, instead of the interlaced, video. I just found out that you can't do that with the Canon.
Actually, the Canon does have progressive modes. The one mode the Canon doesn't have that the HD1000 has is the 720 60 frames per second mode. Other than that it does support other progressive modes at 30fps.

In regard to the HD1000, it does have known focus issues so you may still find a problem with the focus is you get a replacement. Just something to consider. But, if you buy from somewhere you can return to you're safe it you find it's still a problem, just simply return it again.

Rev.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:00 AM   #5

That's interesting about the Canon. I emailed their support department and asked what resolutions it shot at - and even provided a list of possible ones. I got an email back saying that it only had 1080i. So much for the tech support.

Thanks for the warning about the focus problem. I think I've heard that the new model, the 1010, is supposed to have improved that. I guess that might be one reason to wait.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:52 AM   #6

Check out Canon's own page of features here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...delFeaturesAct

It has links right in there on their 24p and 30p modes. Tech support departments of most companies are none to be very poor. I heard really bad things about Sanyo's support as well.

Rev.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:20 AM   #7

The HD1010 has better h264 encoding that is reason enough, better image.

There is a heap of other AVCHD cameras at higher data rates now (even new JVC dual codec models with cmos). Undoubtedly some of these will have high quality H264 encoding. The latest Samsung is worth checking out. Then there are masses of lower cost HD cameras from Chinese sources. The Sanyo is maybe double the price that I would like to pay. If they could only match the SR11/SR12 in every way, the $799 would be great.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:32 AM   #8

wayne:

Problem is all the "best" full hd digital SDHC recorders inc canon hf10/100 and the absolute brand spanking new panasonic sd100 5.1sound etc etc etc ALL of them have very low STILL quality around the 2MP. I had a look at the new panasonic SD100 with its 3MOS and OIS and 2 lumens low light function etc and all around excellent camera but again low still quality only around 2MP.

Only exception to that at the moment is the brand spanking new sony HDR-CX12 and these sanyo xactis. The sony is excellent but come on, all their propeitary BS is just a no as usual sony makes u use sony stuff you cant simply use an sd or sdhc card has to be theirs but you do get 10MP stills

What would be good is something around the 8-10MP stills/photos and all the other specs for full hd inc OIS progressive etc etc
evangelionpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:06 AM   #9

I can only compare the HD1000 and the Canon HF100, since I have both cams. In my oppinion, the Canon is the way better buy at the moment. It is so much sharper and has much more details in its footage. Never thought that would be possible, but it is.

I don'T know how much the HD1010 has improved, but compareing the HD1000 and the HF100 i would go for the Canon.

Ok, the still pictures are not in such a high resolution, but way better than the Xacit ones. I can live with smaller still pictures, I mean you still can make pretty big prints of it. In the first case it is a videocam for me, and it is doing an awesome job! Never thought that the difference would be that big.

Besides all the technical stuff one thing that was important for me too is, that the Canon can be much easier handeles on a steadycam stative. The Xacti is giving these things a hard time, due to it's shape. It is juch a joy, to run around with the Canon on my Modosteay. Much more easier.
mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:16 AM   #10

There are a number of issues, If this camera uses the altrachrome chip the Toshiba Gigashot 1080i camera (ambarella) then there was some strange interpolation like stuff I have seen. The sensor is not a direct fit for 1080i either, this requires interpolation, sensor windowing or binning irregular pixel combinations. This should result in less sharpness requiring artificial sharpening to regain it.

However, Sanyo is improving it's h264 compression, and has seemed to made nice improvements over the HD1000, is it is worth checking the review thread I have posted in this forum )the linked review has test footage). However, the Canon cameras still offer more data rate.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote