Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:01 PM   #1

A couple of months ago I purchased an HD700 (silver) but I sent it back as I wasn't happy with the performance at low light.

I just decided to buy another one, a brown refurb, but I rejected it on incoming inspection, as the sensor has a green tinge at the far left 15% of its width. This is a band of pixels from top to bottom where the image tends to greenish as the light level tends to zero.

I replaced this with another brown unit, from a different seller, brand new. Amazingly this also has the green band at the left end of the video image when HS mode is selected, full auto. This one also has splotchy patches of greenish pixels (amongst the noise) over the rest of the sensor.

The problem gets progressively less noticeable as the amount of light on the subject increases, but even when I set ISO=200 the left edge of my video is tinged faintly greenish (see below). Both of these brown units (which differ by about 1000 in serial number sequence) behave in the same way.

I have looked back over the video I took with the silver HD700 and can't see any sign of this sensor defect, for that's what I think it is. It is clearly visible in the LCD display on the HD700, I can't imagine it was there on my silver unit, I would have seen it. Does anybody have any insight into what might be happening? Were these brown units being closed out before Christmas because they had a faulty batch of CCDs?

Attached Images

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:54 PM   #2

OK, I put a video up on Vimeo which illustrates the green caste applied to objects at the left end of the imager.
http://www.vimeo.com/1207022

I have two identical Brown HD700 now, each of them has this defect. I cannot believe that Sanyo has let them be sold like this.

When I called Sanyo today and described the problem I was immediately told: "You have a faulty camera." Well, great, how do I explain to the retailers why I am sending back so many HD700s ??:?
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote