Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:02 PM   #1

I've had HD1000 for 8 month or so and ready to sell for whatever I can get for it, I no longer see any point in this camcorder when you can get Canon HF100.

HF100...

...is only slightly bigger (4.4x3.5x2.12in vx 5.12.9x2.5in),

...has optical IS wiht12x zoom lens,

...real HD ([email protected])

...cheaper (can get around $600),

...usable auto focus

... available high capacity battery

etc etc etc....

So, what's the point of HD1000? Why would someone get it?

I am tired of horrible EIS, focus and low light video overall. I would rather have slightly bigger camera that addresses those issues.... I don't think either of the cameras are portable anyway, I no longer see any advantages in slightly smaller size if it's lacking in everything else. What do you think?

klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:44 AM   #2

Geez, more anti-xacti whining. Look, if you didn't like it than I'm glad you found what you wanted in the HF100. But for the record, I got mine cause I wanted higher megapixel 16:9 photos, 720/60p, basic in camera editing, and the ability to backup to external hard drive. All of this the Canon can not do. Yes, it can take 16:9 photos but at 2.1MP whereas my HD1000 does it at 3.5MP. Also, the HD1000 is cheaper though not by much, it's $599 currently on Amazon.

I don't understand how there are people like you that seemed to have such a difficult time using the camera. I don't know what you're doing with yours but apparently it's not the camera for you. I, on the other hand, love my cam. I use it for simple stuff like vacation videos and it more than meets my expectations. I think my video is great. Sure I would like OIS but it's not the end of the world to me. To add to that the HD1010 is coming out and if it does all it's claimed it should compete very well with the HF100. And to be honest, I have a strong feeling it will quickly drop down in price within a couple of months. Anyhow, best of luck with your new cam.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 2:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Geez, more anti-xacti whining. Look, if you didn't like it than I'm glad you found what you wanted in the HF100. But for the record, I got mine cause I wanted higher megapixel 16:9 photos, 720/60p, basic in camera editing, and the ability to backup to external hard drive. All of this the Canon can not do. Yes, it can take 16:9 photos but at 2.1MP whereas my HD1000 does it at 3.5MP. Also, the HD1000 is cheaper though not by much, it's $599 currently on Amazon.

I don't understand how there are people like you that seemed to have such a difficult time using the camera. I don't know what you're doing with yours but apparently it's not the camera for you. I, on the other hand, love my cam. I use it for simple stuff like vacation videos and it more than meets my expectations. I think my video is great. Sure I would like OIS but it's not the end of the world to me. To add to that the HD1010 is coming out and if it does all it's claimed it should compete very well with the HF100. And to be honest, I have a strong feeling it will quickly drop down in price within a couple of months. Anyhow, best of luck with your new cam.

difficult time? Where did I mention that? You are obviously missing out the point. I was pointing out that HD1000 can't compete in terms of features with HF100 and its video capabilities at the same price point. Yes, HD1000 may have 4mp camera and in camera editing, but to me they are useless. HD1010 maybe an improvement, but we don't know that yet.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 2:22 PM   #4

klas wrote:
Quote:
HD1000 can't compete in terms of features with HF100 and its video capabilities at the same price point.
But see, I simply can't agree. I just pointed out some of the features the HD1000 has over the HF100 in my last post, how about starting with that? Even still, have you forgotten the title of your post is "What's the point of HD1000 series?" - not a very subtle way to start off a topic in the *Sanyo* forum!

I agree with you that the focus hunting can be annoying. I also agree that shakiness can be annoying as well. But you know, I leave the EIS off and I've posted videos on here many times and never once have I had someone tell me my videos were unwatchable. As for your comment on battery life, dude... simply buy a second battery! I have two officialSanyo HD1000 batteries, not the 3rd party knock offs on EBay, and each lasts over an hour. I've never had a problem yet with running out of battery life.

Check out my Hawaii footage. Maybe you've also seen my Cancun footage I've posted in the past as well. Also check out the HD1000 videos people post on Vimeo and come back and tell all ofusour video is worthless and our camera is a piece of junk. I mean come on, it apparently works well for a large number of people out there.

Rev.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:28 AM   #5

So I just received HF100 and my initial impression is positive...

It's not that much bigger then HD1000 and amazing focus in low light and OIS.It looks like a keeper. Although I am not sure if I like the fact that I cannot change ISO or have focus lock, but it might not be an issue.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:45 AM   #6

Just remember I'll be waiting to see some 1080/30p footage!

Rev.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:53 AM   #7

Does the HF100 fit in your pocket? I'm not likely to carry it around if it doesn't fit in the pocket.

One thing I don't like is the AVCHD format since I have to import / edit it before I can use it on the computer, vimeo, or youtube. The whole point of video for me is to quickly share it with my friends and family. Is there a quick easy cheap solution for posting AVCHD on the web?
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:52 AM   #8

Unless I'm mistaken... doesn't Vimeo take and convert native AVCHD files? I haven't seen any complaints of having to convert the video to another format first before posting to Vimeo from all the HF100 posters there.

Rev.

Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:08 PM   #9

It depends... if HD1000 fits in that pocket then HF100 will fit too. I'll post comparison pics if you want. Frankly, I prefer the size and ergonomics of HD1000.

I had no problems with playing .mts files out of the camera because I already had Klite codec installed. I'll try converting them using Magic Converter because I do share most of my videos on facebook (higher resolution then youtube). Might give vimeo a try as well.

Still images are pretty good too even though lower MP in comparison to HD1000.

LED light is usefull if the object is up close

There is noise in very low light videos, but it's a lot better then HD1000

I bought cheap .45 wide angle lens from ebay to try out, while the quality is good, there is noticable barrel distortion.